Climbing in M&M6-8

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Just a quick question: Was the climbing issue fixed either in an official patch or the GreyFace one? I'm replaying M&M7 right now, and I just can't scale walls anymore using the old "press your face against the wall" tactic. Maybe I'm forgetting something? I thought it was as simple as forward + left/right + jump key and it was possible to get to the top of just about anything.

Easy answer, get the fly spell!! :)

That's the technique, but I don't remember that working everywhere even back in the day. I thought you had to find a corner somewhere if you wanted to wedge your way up a hill and even then it wasn't a sure thing.

Weird. I started MM7 tonight about two hours ago. I basically just installed it, I haven't picked my party yet.

Easy answer, get the fly spell!! :)
I'm running a melee heavy party this time (2x Knight, Archer, Cleric), so I can't get that until the Archer is fully upgraded. Hence, why remembering this technique is important. I can't even get Jump for quite some time.

That's the technique, but I don't remember that working everywhere even back in the day. I thought you had to find a corner somewhere if you wanted to wedge your way up a hill and even then it wasn't a sure thing.

True, but I'm at a spot where I recall doing it before: The village south of Harmondale, on the way to the troglodyte cavern. It should be possible to climb back up, thus evading the goblin army. Not that the goblins are much of a problem, but if I can't get it to work here, I'll have some serious problems in Bracada and Deyja, where either climbing, Jump or Fly is essential.

Weird. I started MM7 tonight about two hours ago. I basically just installed it, I haven't picked my party yet.

That's a weird coincidence! I'm just a few hours in myself. :)

You can always hire a wind master henchmen - gold & xp bonuses don't matter in 7 anyways and early access to the flying can be quite time-saving (especially in a party like yours).

I can climb okay, Maylander. I have to be pointed exactly straight, not even one degree to left or right to climb. It is tedious, but doable. You might be able to change the embedded dosbox speed to slow your computer down even more. I had to do that on one of my pcs to get climbing to work....though I don't remember if it was MM7. You may also have to mess with the acceleration settings in the MM7 control panel. Try both hardware and software modes and see if it makes a difference. You can always switch back after the climb. Same with the smooth turning. You might have to turn that on or off. I remember messing with these the last time I played; well before last night.

Has anyone one ever used the gameplay mods? There's one by a big Jim Daddy or something like that and another one or the same that has a weird name like rev4mod1 or something like that. I think I saw them at ModDB.

Wow, it was actually hardware acceleration, thanks! Turning it off did the trick. Unfortunately, the game looks like crap now (which says a lot, given how it looks with hardware acceleration on), so I'll have to switch it on and off if I need climbing.

Ah well, I can do that until I get Fly or an NPC with it. Besides, I just got past the most critical early climbing: Getting the +10 Might and Endurance from the altar in Barrow Downs.

Well, I've played MM7 a few thousand times, so I actually remembered something useful for once ;)

Has anyone one ever used the gameplay mods? There's one by a big Jim Daddy or something like that and another one or the same that has a weird name like rev4mod1 or something like that. I think I saw them at ModDB.

I strongly recommend the rev4 mod if you've played the game before.

I strongly recommend to beat the dragon from the Emerald Island. :D

Might take a while, but it's doable with the proper strategy. You can watch a walkthrough for that on YouTube. Expect a 30min-1h combat, but you can exploit a certain save bug to farm a lot of high end items (relic and artifacts included).

Back
Top Bottom