Jade Empire - better than they say!

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor
About an hour ago I finished Jade Empire (awesome main story btw!). I truly enjoyed the game. Its weird because some months ago I left it unfinished at Tian's landing. For some reason I couldn't put myself into it then and I don't even know why!

Maybe it is because the whole ancient China setting felt so fresh after all these medevil rpg look-alikes. No paladins, no orcs, no elves and no dark medevil architecture! It also puzzles me why so many rpgs fail so misserably in the npc area while Bioware manages to set it right everytime. The dialog in JE is like elixir to my numb ears.
Some of my favourites were Zu (The closed fist path following martial artist with lots of secrets), Black whirlwind (the huge mercenary who doesn't like anyone touching his axes or wine) and the sweet little girl Wild flower (who has a demon side!). Whom I couldn't stand however was Dawn Star. I know she is supposed to be very sensitive girl next-door type, but too much is too much. At first I really tried to make her feel better, but she just kept whining and whining.. I know the whole world is in chaos and we have no parents, but we can't change it by talking about how she feels all the time!

The core aspect of this game is obviously combat. From the first glance it seemed very tactical but once I had bumped my dragon sword style and the ice shard style up, I became unbeatable. Its not even funny you know. Gao the greater took what it was? ten hits from the long sword? But after I raised the difficulty from master to grand master, it was like a whole different game. I found myself soon varying the styles a lot more than before. :) The "grand master" is the difficulty level which this game is meant to be played. "master" is just too easy and yet it supposed to be medium?

I'm not probably the only one missing item collecting. Amulet stones and skill upgrades are nice, but It just felt weird not having a proper inventory. Although its kind of refreshing for once not to worry about losing something important. Usually I'm too greedy to waste anything too valuable. Spell scrolls syndroma anyone? "not now..I may need them later on during the tough battles" :D

Maybe one of the main reasons why Bioware games are so fun to play are the side quests. They are always so creative and varied. My favourite one was the debate against "outlander" in the scholars' garden. Even if JE is an action rpg, quests are all very rpgish. Each quest has a nice backround story and usually atleast two different outcomes, sometimes even more.

Locations are all beautifull and full of life, always something intresting to do or see. but in the end Jade Empire is still a rollercoaster ride. I'd have liked to see more chances for pure exploring in larger world... The great forest near tian's landing actually consists of couple of corridoors barricated by trees. Doesn't seem very beliavable. Usually you don't think it much, but occansionally the barriers are just too obvious not to ignore.

Overall Its a much better game than I remembered. If more attention had been put on exploration and larger world (and also a proper inventory) JE could have been a real masterpiece.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who liked it :).

I wish there was a demo so I could give it a try. I have too many unfinished games now to buy any more without knowing that I definitely want it.

What he said. Really, my main "complaint" with it was that it was so linear; with a more open world and more exploration it would have been much more alive.

Also agree about Dawn Star, although she does have one or two redeeming qualities. At least one. ;)

This is on my list of potential games to pick up when the price drops. But you made me advance it from "possible" to "probable", Dez. :)

I wish there was a demo so I could give it a try. I have too many unfinished games now to buy any more without knowing that I definitely want it.

Same old situation here. Yet I just end up getting things anyway if it's 30$ or under. Ive been wanting to try Jade Empire for a long time, and this post very well may have put me over the edge!

They should pay you a finders fee, Dez

Great game. The combat is not the game's best feature but it's okay, the setting and especially the storyline (most especially the twist) are great. I bought a used XBox mostly to play this game (before it came out on PC) and was happy I did.

I did enjoy it but I'm not as enthusiastic as some. I'll admit the Chinese theme doesn't enthuse me and it's linear with limited areas to explore (think KotOR but much shorter and more linear). If you like the way BioWare construct their stories, I'd say definitely get it.

I enjoyed it, but it's too small, and too short. The setting and story has *POTENTIAL* written all over it, and I feel it is a shame that no more has been done with it.

Maybe a Jade Empire mod could be made for NWN2, like the Planescape mod that is in the works. Would be very interesting, I really do love the setting.

Hmm, I don't remember it as being very short? Wasn't there at least 20 hours in it? Anyway, I liked the game and the setting as well.

Yup, 20 hours is about right. Certainly too short for the "longer is better" crowd, but felt about right to me.

(FWIW, I finished Fallout in about 20 hours, with most of the side quests.)

Part of the problem was that there was an initial 'ZOMG bestest game EVAR' reaction on the XBOX, followed by a predictable backlash since it ... um ... isn't. But I think coming at it fresh on the PC you should be quite entertained. I enjoyed it quite a bit, not one of my faves but a solid game.

Yup. I recently finished it too. And I recently made a post about it too in another thread :D I really liked the game pretty much.

It is much better game than the reviewers and the CRPG crowd would lead you to believe. The combat was a bit dull but otherwise a nice, solid rpg.

I really liked the ending too.

Just won a copy of Jade Empire special edition for $2.54 on Ebay. Gonna cost me a grand total of $10.53 with priority shipping.

Been getting a lot of great deals on Ebay lately.

I'd still say it's a bit short, considering the add-on alone for NWN2 is longer (Mask of the Betrayer).

But, as I've mentioned previously, it's a good game, and well worth getting. It also has a fairly high replay value since there's quite a few interesting characters.

Wow, I just noticed that Jade Empire is still selling for $39.99 on STEAM.

Makes me feel even better about my Ebay deal. :D

JDR13
Just won a copy of Jade Empire special edition for $2.54 on Ebay. Gonna cost me a grand total of $10.53 with priority shipping.
Gratz! :)

The rule of Jade Empire is to not rush it. Explore everything. The console beat-em-up system is kinda bad but the story and the characters was very enjoyable.

^Agree. Take it in slowly. I wasn't able to get ymself to play it through a second time, it hasn't really got any replay value. It's entirely possible to miss a lot of stuff if you rush it, I've heard of people finishing it in 15 hours. There's a good 25 hours of gameplay if you take your time and look around. I really enjoyed the story. It hit the right emotional notes for me.

Really enjoy every aspect of the design concept RPG, Asian Culture and Martial Arts and hope this isn't the last game in this world.

Hate to be a decenter in a crowd, yet was so frustrated with the Simplification of the game, gave up once reaching the Imperial City and didn't play/finish it for 2 months. :(

Didn't follow the console release, so didn't know and was shocked JE was given so many great reviews, while glad it was a great game on the console but very frustrated it was only a good game on the PC.

Played as a female, unknowing that it prevented me from Romancing Dawn Star (very frustrating) and played it a second time to try on Silk but it didn't work, (total BS) and out of frustration tried playing as a male (boring, play one in RL :p ) and gave up before the Imperial City.
Add this to all the mainstream complaints about inventory, weapons, linear level design, almost no exploration and controls (iirc it's been several months).

Back
Top Bottom