What is it about Zelda?

There are a 100 optional shrines to do after, but most of it is world puzzles in how to explore and do combat.

Who'd have thought, puzzles are not his thing… :evilgrin:

Oh, I enjoy puzzles - but not overly gamey puzzles.

Am I really the only old-school PnP'er who can remember what real puzzles should be like? As in, riddles and stuff that was integrated into the environment without feeling like an excessively gamey tradition?

I like immersive and cerebral stuff.

If they released it for PC I'd care and most likely buy it.

I'm so beyond sick of consoles and console exclusives.

I'm never going to buy a console just to play one or a handful of games, so all the console exclusive thing does for me is fuel my hate of consoles.

I have zero desire to own an inferior console, period, when my PC destroys all consoles combined.

There are tons of great games out there so it's not the end of the world, but it's still kind of a bummer to have to miss out on some games just due to corporate sleaze and greed.

There are tons of great games out there so it's not the end of the world, but it's still kind of a bummer to have to miss out on some games just due to corporate sleaze and greed.

I dont think it is corporate sleaze or greed these days especially to make games on propriety consoles. There is still good reason to create games on consoles:

1. Less piracy, heaps of people just pirate games on PC.
2. Larger portions of the population will be playing your game.
3. If you make the console yourself, you dont play royalties to anyone like MS or Valve.

That said it doesnt help you in your situation. You can just get the Cemu emulator and play it with the Wii U DVD, that it technically legal AFAIK. You can play the game at 4k resolution then.

Certainly a strange position to hate consoles because you don't, personally, like them or have fun with them.

There are many gamers out there who don't have the time or the inclination to build and/or configure a proper PC - and who don't enjoy dealing with the nightmare of constantly downloading the latest drivers or dealing with countless PC-related conflicts and issues.

Consoles are cheaper and much, much less of a hassle for people like that.

No reason to hate them or their choice of platform. That would seem to be a massive waste of time and energy.

Got lucky and a friend opted to sell me his Switch w/two games, case, screen protection, and a third controller. I will be delving into Zelda at some point!!

Got lucky and a friend opted to sell me his Switch w/two games, case, screen protection, and a third controller. I will be delving into Zelda at some point!!

Dont judge the game on the Plateau you start in because it is just a trainer for what functions you can do for the rest of the game. It is completely open ended after that.

No worries about that, I'm a completionist. If I pay a penny for a game, I'll finish it, unless I demand a refund. In the forty years I've been buying video games, I think my total refund count currently sits at four.

I think it's a brilliant piece of game design, and I would definitely play it on the Swtich, as the emulator hasn't got the look and feel, yet.

As Damian said, the opening area is rather bland, but things get far more interesting later on. Initially, the destructible weapons really bummed me out - I thought that it would kill my enjoyment of seeking better loot. I still think it's an unappealing system, where weapons are so disposable they are more like ammunition, but it doesn't actually hurt the exploration as I feared. Special items, armor and clothing sets become the crucial treasures, and then one has to find the rare items to upgrade them, and the fairies to perform the upgrades. This is where the RPG development aspect comes in, as one may choose to pursue the armor pieces that will make you resistant to electricity and lightning, or the kit that increases your climbing ability, or the rare and well-guarded ancient parts that can be used to upgrade your base powers. The alchemy system is also rich and well-designed, and some of the ancient shrines, which each contain Portal-like puzzles, are excellent. It also doesn't pull its punches - tangle with the wrong critters before you're ready, and it's adios muchachos.

In terms of exploration and clever gameplay design, it's in the top division, IMO. Its console character and "gamey" design will not appeal to everyone, and that's a pity, because so many aspects of it put most RPGs to shame. It took me back to the enjoyment of games I felt when I was a kid.

The other day I saw a girl playing the newest Zelda game in an electronics story, trying it out.
The most astonishing thing I found is that she used the sword very effectively as a lawnmower !
I found that astonishing that one could actually do that ! Normally, grass is just static ...

I've still not played Zelda but I did fire up the Switch just to get a feel for it, checking out controls, etc. Without actually playing anything as of yet, I like the feel of the console and I'd put it slightly ahead of the Vita for comfort as well as initial visuals.

I've still not played Zelda but I did fire up the Switch just to get a feel for it, checking out controls, etc. Without actually playing anything as of yet, I like the feel of the console and I'd put it slightly ahead of the Vita for comfort as well as initial visuals.

Judging by the insides of the controllers, they traded the triggers of normal home console controllers go "HD rumble" and regular shoulder buttons. I dont know how i feel about that decision yet, because the games I have bought dont really use them well at all, and Zelda doesnt use rumble at all from what i can tell. I also dont play racing or gun games much so it should benefit me, but I dunno.

You mean controllers that shake? I always found those unnerving as hell, and I'd certainly prefer a controller that doesn't have that vibrate feature. I know people that like it, but it isn't for me.

You mean controllers that shake? I always found those unnerving as hell, and I'd certainly prefer a controller that doesn't have that vibrate feature. I know people that like it, but it isn't for me.

Yeah, the rumble is not simply more intense if that is what you are thinking. Ever notice all the rumble int he past was the same? This "HD" rumble is more nuanced, there is soft and hard rumble, like a "metallic" rumble. It is kind of hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom