Avernum 5 - The Morality of Cheating

Just wanted you to elaborate on what you thought cheating entailed. But I guess you'd rather have drama...

Just wanted you to elaborate on what you thought cheating entailed. But I guess you'd rather have drama…

You use words like Drama and rants, why? I don't have any Drama or Rants here in this thread.

I still find it somewhat amusing how you took things to heart though but backed down so easily. Maybe you found a cheat….

We still can be buddies if you want, and you know that hug I talked about. Well maybe I will be the one to give it to you at the end of the day.

Last edited:
In solo/offline games, I turn to cheats all the time, be it FAQs/walkthroughs on the GameFAQs to figure out puzzles, mods or the occasional cheat code when a game has them.

For me, a game is more enjoyable if I'm not bashing my head against the wall. I'll try to figure out a puzzle in a game... but if it takes more than a few minutes, off to GameFAQs I go. I have too many games to play on Steam and too little time to play them. I just don't have the patience (or, once again, time) to be a purist. Without cheats, I would likely get annoyed and move onto a different game. Multiplayer would be different, because then you could ruin the experience for another player. But solo... bring on the cheats!

You paid for it; play it however you want. And don't judge others for playing their games in the way that nets them the most enjoyment. The way I choose to play my games is none of your concern in any case.

In first person games I hate it when bots camp out in locations waiting for the cheap kills. Well more like I hate it when they succeed! But I use that knowledge to my advantage most times and incorporate it into my strategy. If you know what to expect from an ai then you as the player are learning the game. Its the whole point really.

I never cheat for combat, but sometimes I lookup solutions to puzzles or such, I only do it however if I do not consider the game great.

I am also always very worried to run into bugs or such, what if you spend 10 hours trying to solve something, and you can't because of a bug ?

The last horrible experience I had was spending 10 hours trying to kill Gunther in Deus Ex… only to realise he is immortal. ( Horrible game design!!! ) If you are supposed to lose they might as well script it after you have tried for awhile. I really liked the game so I didn't want to look up the solution online...

Regarding solutions to puzzles I look them up as well sometimes.
I look for them myself for quite a while but at some point I think "It's either broken or so abstract that I wouldn't find it anyways".
And in the past it was also broken extremely often. The last time I looked something up was just yesterday for underrail. "Finding Nevil" was my problem, and I wouldn't have found the solution as it wasn't part of the normal flow of the game (It's like when you introduce a new mechanic you never saw before as solution to a puzzle, like in Deponia where you had to lower the sound settings of the game to solve a puzzle).

If a game has respawns, then I cheat whenever possible. I don't play games for unending combat.

I only cheated (i.e. used a console command) once to finish a game, in the very last mission. I just couldn't survive long enough to succeed at it otherwise. Although, I think there might have been a bug that made it so all the enemies were focusing fire on me instead of my wingmen as they were supposed to according to walkthrough.

I used the console command in a few games to bypass bugs. Example, using Morrowind's show wireframe console command to pick up loot that fell below the ground texture (or the teleport/phasing when my character fell through the ground).

I cheated (boosted stats, console teleport, added weapons, etc) in a few games on replays to try stuff around and I do look online for puzzle solutions and clues when I get tired of trying to guess what the hell I'm supposed to do. 80% of the time, I find out I had the right idea, but bugs, bad explanations or crappy UI are the cause of my frustration why it doesn't work.

When I was really little, maybe 7 or 8, it was pretty normal for the kids to use the unlimited lives trainer options that came with cracked disks much of the time.

But by the time I was about 11 I was starting to get a bit competitive with my friend in our hotseat games - 1 life then hand it over.

We played a LOT of Doom. It started as easy with all guns cheats but moved up to one-under-nightmare (I think Ultra-Violence?) with all guns, but before long it was all about getting 100% kills, secrets, items and not long after that "I can do it without cheats".

I've played everything starting on hard without cheats since then.

And I'm still kind to noobs but not people who give up! ;)

Back
Top Bottom