Crusader Kings III - Sells 1 Million Units

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Interim report posted on the Paradox Interactive website states that Crusader Kings III has sold 1 million units.

Comments from CEO

Royal quarter provides new revenue records

The third quarter of the year has for us to a large extent been about the launch of Crusader Kings III. Crusader Kings III is the third edition of our success­ful Grand Strategy franchise based on a player's personal journey through the Middle Ages. When the review embargo was released shortly before launch, the game received an aggregate score of 91/100 on Metacritic, which is a collected rating of industry and gaming media reviews. It is our highest rating ever on Metacritic and it is, of course, extremely positive, but what makes me happiest of all is that the game was received with remarkable enthusiasm by our players. Over 19,000 reviews on Steam and over 1,000,000 units sold paints a clear picture: We have created a really good game!

The successful launch of Crusader Kings III is another proof of the value in owning and methodi­cally developing our franchises. Crusader Kings III is, like most of our successful games, the result of several iterations of the game. Often the first game in a franchise is not a success, but instead lays the foundation for future sequels by building a player base, a brand, and the knowledge to gradually de­velop better games.

[...]
More information.

Good for them but its not as good as CK2. Still a few more years of patches and new content will vastly improve the game, and probably make it better then CK2.

Often the first game in a franchise is not a success, but instead lays the foundation for future sequels by building a player base, a brand, and the knowledge to gradually develop better games.
Regardless of the criticism Paradox gets for their DLC practices, its refreshing to hear a CEO say this. Other companies would cut ties and barely acknowledge a game underperforming.
So many potential game franchises lost because the debut game didn't sell crazy million copies! Gives hope the Tyranny world will be revisited :pout:

Often the first game in a franchise is not a success, but instead lays the foundation for future sequels by building a player base, a brand, and the knowledge to gradually develop better games.
Regardless of the criticism Paradox gets for their DLC practices, its refreshing to hear a CEO say this. Other companies would cut ties and barely acknowledge a game underperforming.
So many potential game franchises lost because the debut game didn't sell crazy million copies! Gives hope the Tyranny world will be revisited :pout:

I've been hoping for modern devs and publishers to get this for ages. I tend to continue to support the ones that at least build on what they have previously worked on otherwise all the learning of what worked and what didn't gets lost because you are not giving devs a chance to fine tune the experience with a sequel. (This is especially important for indie devs to do)

inXile fell victim to this doing Wasteland 2, then a Torment game, then a Bards Tale, before doing Wasteland 3. There is an argument to be made about broadening developers ideas on what an RPG can be by working on diverse titles but inXile was too small for this to be a good idea and needed to focus its resources. Compare to Harebrained Schemes during the same period doing Shadowrun Returns which was okayish then producing Shadowrun: Dragonfall which knocked it out of the park.

Admittedly Wasteland 3 has done well as inXile retained key devs but it would of been better to have produced this game after Wasteland 2 imo. Still it has seemed to work out fortuitiously enough. That is not true for most indie devs.

I have about 100 hours in CK3 and had a lot of fun. However I now know everything or now how to do and achieve everything and thus don't have motivation to keep on playing.

I might jump back in when interesting mechanics/content is added.

inXile fell victim to this doing Wasteland 2, then a Torment game, then a Bards Tale, before doing Wasteland 3. There is an argument to be made about broadening developers ideas on what an RPG can be by working on diverse titles but inXile was too small for this to be a good idea and needed to focus its resources. Compare to Harebrained Schemes during the same period doing Shadowrun Returns which was okayish then producing Shadowrun: Dragonfall which knocked it out of the park.

Shadowrun is a great example of a developer honing its craft, the problem is it probably burned them out on the setting for a while!
Alternating between genres like CD Project aims to be doing with fantasy Witcher/Cyberpunk seems to be the way to go.
I agree inXile could have been more focused using Torment for lessons leading directly to Wasteland 3; Bards Tale required a bunch of new techniques for the team - they were basically starting from scratch.

Good for them but its not as good as CK2. Still a few more years of patches and new content will vastly improve the game, and probably make it better then CK2.

It is already better IMO, it just lacks most stuff from the previous expansions.

That's what I said above basically. It needs more content as right now it gets boring very quickly. Anyway I have no doubt we'll see a ton of DLC for another four years.

CK2 still has the advantage of having better mods also.;)

I have about 100 hours in CK3 and had a lot of fun. However I now know everything or now how to do and achieve everything and thus don't have motivation to keep on playing.

I might jump back in when interesting mechanics/content is added.
Yeah that's how I feel after playing a few years. Seems nothing motivates me to continue playing. This is the problem with every vanilla Paradox game on release actually.

Ties into my comment above.

Another neagtive is I hate the new Paradox game and mod launcher also. It has made installing mods manually a chore, and make you rely on the Steam down-loader instead.

Back
Top Bottom