Obsidian Entertainment - Project X Teased

I find it strange that everybody seem to think this is related to an existing IP. Why can't Obisidian try to make something new?

They can certainly try, but an existing IP makes sense, to some extent. The fans of the IP will be interested in the game. There's an existing audience.

That said, I really do hope for a Planescape inspired IP!

Not if "X"=consonant and "."=vowel.
The only other reasonably likely word adhering to this is identity, I think.

Indeed. I haven't though about the consonant/vowel possible limitation and only though of the released letters, the number of them and that is should fit with the Ouroboros (sort of).

More and more, this sounds like a spiritual successor to Torment… oh could it be?!

I recognize your pain.
Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world. It spins thus. You cannot stop it. One day, you will wake up. You will stop pulling. The pain will be gone. Until then, all your waking hours are suffering.

I am too. And I'm way glad for it. The ideas people are tossing out are horrifying!

People can read here what Chris Avellone had to say about a kickstarter project...6 months ago.

We can all think what we want but none of us will know what it is till announcement. If it's a kickstarter good luck getting funded. Isn't Avellone busy working on wasteland 2 right now though?

Another day passed:

"This world wants to drag us down, it does. It made you a Watcher. No one asks for that. And the weight, that guilt they want to hang around my neck, you don't have to carry it one more step. You think they won't let you rest, but it's not up to them. It never was."

<!--. T . X X I T X -->
<!-- There is no sleep for the Watcher. -->

<!—. T . X X I T X —>

Confirmed to be eternity, unless it's asoxitu or another made up word.

Also, the picture Sawyer posted might say:
No
sleep
for
the
Watcher

Last edited:
I guess this "Watcher could be this Dragon who bits into his own tail - the old tale of the Ouroboros http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros expanded, maybe - and who suffers pain of biting itself into its own tail.

And Pain from Reality, too. I guess.

If you are going with dragon eating his tail(s), you might want to check The Watcher, Chronepsis. He's a Planescape Deity, but I doubt Hasbro would license a dead setting to Obsidian. Doesn't mean Obsidian can't be inspired by it though.

Last edited:
There is also an interview at Kotaku (of all places) with Avellon.

Obsidian [website] is down…but the Kickstarter is UP.

Says this: "Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC.". Any Avellone and Cain game I'd buy no matter what, if Sawyer is "a requirement" that won't be a solo project leader but will be on a leash, well, I guess I'll have to be silent in this case.

If anyone asked me what kind of fantasy RPG I'd want from Obsidian, I'd say exactly this - quote from kickstarter page:
"Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment."
Did you notice that endless mobrespawn/grinding is NOT on the list? :)

Now if only I had those goddamned 10K$ to attend the party…

I'm definetly backing up the project just need to check how much can I afford to give this month.

Back
Top Bottom