Spielberg doing Ghost in the Shell...

Jaz

Play nice.©
A few days ago I read about Dreamworks acquiring the rights to do a live-action, 3D version of 'Ghost in the Shell'. I'm still not sure about what to think of this.... Spielberg and GitS?
So... does this mean that one of the Toms (Hanks or Cruise) gets to play the role of Batou? Will there be a sappy love story? Will the American Empire still be the villain? Will Section 9 hunt Nazis instead of cyber criminals? Will the movie feature a child actor? Will the movie be fairly decent with the exception of the desastrous beginning or ending or both?

I must see the Spielberg adaptation, no doubt about it, just so I can say I have seen them all (GitS movies, OVAs, series...), but I'm still somewhat astonished.

I never found the movie that interesting, although I found the concept as such interesting. (Sounds weird, huh ? ;) )
So, I never understood the "Hype" about it.

And, by the way, what does "live action" mean ? Isn't that just what movies have been doing since ages ?

... I've just been reading the Wikipedia outline ... To me, this plot isn't *that* surprising, but, as I said before , the concept as such is interesting.

It goes into what I'd call "esoterics", so with a bit background knowledge from esoterical fields, one need not be surprised or overwhelmed by the overall underlying concept of the film.

Will the American Empire still be the villain?
I'm almost certain it would be Americanized just like Ringu and Dark Water for instance. But anyway, I do like the news that a movie with high production value is produced out of GitS.

And, by the way, what does "live action" mean ? Isn't that just what movies have been doing since ages ?

Yes. The term "live action" is mostly used when it's important to highlight the fact that it's a movie with live actors in cases where you would expect an animation, e.g. movies based on comics, Anime adaptations or something from Disney.

... I've just been reading the Wikipedia outline ... To me, this plot isn't *that* surprising, but, as I said before , the concept as such is interesting.
It's not only the philosophical underline, what I liked most about the anime is the incredible soundtrack by Kenji Kawai. And the entire feel of the setting and art direction.

Last edited:
I suspect Spielberg will adapt the comics. The main thing there are those little robot vehicles every member of section 9 has. And the major is totally silly. And a lesbian. :)

Well, maybe he does "Little Nemo" one day ... ;) Although I believe it would be very, very difficult, if ever.
Especially considering the style in which this comic was drawn, then.

The Fuchikoma ('little robot vehicles') feature in the comic books, they were replaced by their smaller Tachikoma brethren in the TV series, and I suspect they will ply a certain role in the Spielberg adaptation.

I prefer the tone of the comics to the tone of the movies because everybody is sillier in the comic books :D. Yes, the major had this remote orgy with her friends, but I believe the four pages were cut from the US version of the comic book.

If it end up as live action film, i wonder who would take the role of Major Kusanagi :wideeyed: . She is one of my most respected fictional hero. Here's the description of her on wikipedia:

Motoko is a commanding presence when on assignment, but also trades insults with her troops. She constantly calls Aramaki "Ape Face", and when the Puppetmaster reveals the "Motokos" that exist in the minds of those who know her, Aramaki's "Motoko" is sticking her tongue out. She also smiles frequently, and gives the "V" for victory to her boyfriend. She does, however, discuss seriously whether she is a "real" person with her girl friend. However, she assumes a "horror movie"-style pose, and they both laugh at the end (but slightly nervously).

Interesting too if Steven Spielberg could made a good adaptation from the original anime series.

Back
Top Bottom