If Baldur's Gate were released today

Must be the German thing :p ;)

I found BG a lot more vibrant, interesting and fun ^-^

To be fair - it might be.

The German voice acting of "River of Time" is brilliant, which is the case for lots of German Productions and certainly added to the enjoyment. ^^

And as you spoke of "vibrant": I actually found it interesting when seeing the trailer of Realms Beyond that I actually thought like "oh, another game with generic Baldurs Gate like graphics".
It kind of surprises myself that I would have prefered a more retro-type graphics style now. Either more pixel art (like Pathway is going to have) or more "vibrant" as Xulima for example. The isometric "realistic" graphics style feels quite bland to me now.

What do you think about it?

My hotel's as clean as an Elven Arse.

I think a lot of the joy in BG1 came about from the wonderful sound, music, and voice acting. Really, would the villain (and thus the game) have really been that impactful w/out David Warner? Would the cliche` medieval setting have worked as well without an errant hobgoblin howl or hoarsely whispered, "Hello, child"?

The game, from a gameplay perspective, was nothing special IMO - it was the Infinity Engine that was the real marvel. What elevated it all to a classic was the attention to sound that, dare I say it, immersed the player.

Baldurs Gate is only special when you consider the time it came out in. It was a game of immense size and polish after a long drought of RPGs.

From a gameplay and story pespective, it was pretty bad even then. There were many games before it that are more worthy of the praise and recognition Baldurs Gate receives.

My hotel's as clean as an Elven Arse.

I think a lot of the joy in BG1 came about from the wonderful sound, music, and voice acting. Really, would the villain (and thus the game) have really been that impactful w/out David Warner? Would the cliche` medieval setting have worked as well without an errant hobgoblin howl or hoarsely whispered, "Hello, child"?

The game, from a gameplay perspective, was nothing special IMO - it was the Infinity Engine that was the real marvel. What elevated it all to a classic was the attention to sound that, dare I say it, immersed the player.

I agree with your first paragraph but not your second. It also immersed you in the exploration; wandering the wilderness, meeting new characters, doing small quests and enjoying relaxing, low-level D&D. I prefer it more than BG2 and I know that's heresy to some, but I like the lower level stuff and BG2 is just too dense and overwhelming for me. But I adore the gameplay in BG, just replayed it for the 2nd time about a year ago, went right into Siege of Dragonspear and then BG2. Got burned out in BG2 but BG1 is still a very worth playthrough with the EE, IMHO.

It has tons of companions, even if most aren't that fleshed out, I appreciate the gameplay and party altering aspects of it. It's still high on my list games I like to play through multiple times.

Baldurs Gate is only special when you consider the time it came out in. It was a game of immense size and polish after a long drought of RPGs.

From a gameplay and story pespective, it was pretty bad even then. There were many games before it that are more worthy of the praise and recognition Baldurs Gate receives.

I see you still have that habit of stating your opinions as if they're facts. ;)

Story is completely subjective, but I thought it was pretty good. The gameplay holds up well even today as long as you don't dislike RTwP combat.

What about the gameplay do you think holds up well?

2nd edition AD&D is antiquated, the outdated animations and graphics lead to poor readability, and there's a lack of modern QoL features such as customizable AI and combat speed settings that can be found in a game like Pillars of Eternity II.

Besides all that, the first game had way too much RNG and the second game had an absurd amount of trash mobs. They're also both ridiculously easy if you understand the mechanics.

I never left. Seriously though, I'm fascinated by people that think Baldurs Gate has good combat. I always thought it was terrible, and I'm not even against RTwP conceptually.

Production values that can't be matched in a 4 million USD kickstarter, combined with youthful nostalgia make for a powerful drug ;)

BG still has its place today as a carefree romp down memory lane, but as some who played BG2 probably half a dozen times in the early 2000's, I'll gladly admit to myself that the gameplay was more often than not a pause-centric, chaotic mess.

Production values that can't be matched in a 4 million USD kickstarter, combined with youthful nostalgia make for a powerful drug ;)

BG still has its place today as a carefree romp down memory lane, but as some who played BG2 probably half a dozen times in the early 2000's, I'll gladly admit to myself that the gameplay was more often than not a pause-centric, chaotic mess.

It's not always nostalgia. I played it for the first time around 2012/2013 and absolutely adored it. It was a feeling of "where has this been all my life???" BG2 is a chaotic mess at times, I agree, and partly the reason I end up getting burned out every time I try to finish it. My latest attempt to play through the trilogy with Sword Coast Stratagems made BG2 wayyyy too hard, chaotic and a chore to play. But it still has its great bits, too, even today, IMO. I still prefer BG1, though.

Last edited:
I never left. Seriously though, I'm fascinated by people that think Baldurs Gate has good combat. I always thought it was terrible, and I'm not even against RTwP conceptually.

You must be fascinated by a lot of people. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The first good game you play is always better than the second. New experiences are wonderful. Sort of like your first snow-fall is more of a wonder than the 100th.
--
That's how BG was in its day. Today these sort of games are a dime a dozen (though very few are esp good).

It's pretty entertaining still today, if you're jumping into it for the main story ( which was is/pretty decent). Plus the writing style can be hilarious at times with everyone using over the top hyperboles in every other sentence.

Combat and encounters are pretty rough, low lvl characters+ lots of trash mobs/enemies-> enemy scores a crit->reload.

Combat is best in these types of games, somewhere in mid range, lvl 8-13, I think.
It also had a lot better sense of place/the world than BG II ( minus the silly encounters).

Back
Top Bottom