Blackguards - Preview @ 6aming

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
6aming has a new preview of the Early Accesss version of Blackguards, and just like some of the other previews they are not impressed.

Blackguards could have been a great little game, but a lack of time and polish on the key part of any good RPG – story – lets it down somewhat. The combat is compelling stuff, but the unnecessarily complicated nature of the inventory screens and skill tree is a hindrance to the fun.
Feel free to skip it though as the reviewer is not a fan of old-school RPGs.

More information.

The story is the BEST part of this game. And for a pre-release game, it seems pretty polished to me. Also, the inventory screens are nice, and not too complicated.

I do have a few complaints, but I still love the game.

1. Please allow more camera angles and more zoom.

2. Some of the battles are VERY difficult, and I am 100% certain at this point that the difficulty level available in the options, does not work. There is no difference in the difficulty level between easy and hard.

3. Because some of the battles are difficult, it would be nice to be able to save after each battle (sometimes there are multi stage battles, and if you die, you will have to start back at the first one, which is a little boring.

The game has a great story, interesting characters, fairly steep learning curve, and a lot of potential

3. Because some of the battles are difficult, it would be nice to be able to save after each battle (sometimes there are multi stage battles, and if you die, you will have to start back at the first one, which is a little boring.

I think if you restart the battle through the menu you'll begin at your current stage with the same starting conditions. So you don't have to repeat unless your party has already taken too much damage to win another fight.

I think if you restart the battle through the menu you'll begin at your current stage with the same starting conditions. So you don't have to repeat unless your party has already taken too much damage to win another fight.

Yes, this is true, as long as you don't quit the game and use the 'try again' option. But as you said, if you are too beat up at that point, you're likely to have to go back to the first battle.

I actually had to restart the game, because I couldn't beat the louse queen. I didn't have the poison that some people have mentioned. I think I missed a quest or two, and I was really struggling with the game early on, so opted for a fresh start.

Back
Top Bottom