Underworld Ascendant - Reinventing the Genre

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN outlines the case for why Underworld Ascendant is reinventing the genre.

Underworld Ascendant opens with a problem: you must escape from a series of chambers armed with absolutely no weapons. This area is designed as an “un-training level,” with the intent of teaching you how important physical properties are.

“We found in testing that if you give people a sword early they want to solve everything with the sword,” Joe Fielder, game writer and director, says. Without a sword, you are forced to use your intellect, which is where Underworld Ascendant passes over the boundary between being an RPG and an immersive sim.

But, like with its swordless opening, Underworld Ascendant is doing immersive sims differently. The first return visit to the Stygian Abyss in over 25 years promises not only to remind us of how the Underworld games birthed this ambitious genre in the first place, but also demonstrate that you can do them without being hooked up to a publisher’s seemingly ceaseless cash flow.

[...]
More information.

the problem is that the sword is the only thing with that you can "interact" with npc characters in the most common rpgs.

so this game gives you a wand so you can burn stuff and a bow so you can shoot things that will fall on enemies...

sorry but i cant see any "reinvention" here.
mostly an small improvement.

the problem is that the sword is the only thing with that you can "interact" with npc characters in the most common rpgs.

so this game gives you a wand so you can burn stuff and a bow so you can shoot things that will fall on enemies…

sorry but i cant see any "reinvention" here.
mostly an small improvement.

It would be cool if you could carry a hammer and some nails. Maybe even a ladder. That would open up alot of possibilities for play.

It would be cool if you could carry a hammer and some nails. Maybe even a ladder. That would open up alot of possibilities for play.
Yeah, then I can use my ladder kata!

I'll wait until somebody mods it to look darker and gritty instead of like made of plastic

We agree about most players being accustomed to handling all matters with a sword. That being said, magic in UA is not combat-centric. Yes, there's a fire spell that CAN be used to hurl fireballs at people, but that's not it's primary intended use.

We've seen a lot of people use the environment to their advantage, which makes us happy. Players will stack crates to crawl into ceiling spaces, make boats out of levitating crates, and more. We hope that once you have an idea of all the tools you can use, players can have fun expressing themselves and completing the game however they'd like, instead of a set way.

Reinventing has nothing to do with Underworld Ascendant at all. Impotent & Desperate CopyCat Efforts rather.

Reinventing has nothing to do with Underworld Ascendant at all. Impotent & Desperate CopyCat Efforts rather.

Go get something to eat, you're being grumpy again.

We agree about most players being accustomed to handling all matters with a sword. That being said, magic in UA is not combat-centric. Yes, there's a fire spell that CAN be used to hurl fireballs at people, but that's not it's primary intended use.

We've seen a lot of people use the environment to their advantage, which makes us happy. Players will stack crates to crawl into ceiling spaces, make boats out of levitating crates, and more. We hope that once you have an idea of all the tools you can use, players can have fun expressing themselves and completing the game however they'd like, instead of a set way.

Thanks for taking a moment to post here. I'm a backer and looking forward to the finished product. I was a 20 something when the original UU games came out and I loved them both. Looks like UA is going to be a fun game. Based on the information and video footage you've released so far, all I've got are a very few minor quibbles but the game so far looks fun and promising.

Thanks! The game changes and grows every month, so it's always exciting to see the final game's shape starting to form as we get closer to launch... classic LGS-style of making games.

Back
Top Bottom