General News - Putting the Role in Role-Playing

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Is there a video for that conference?

Interesting. We just were talking about roleplaying in another recent news thread.

It is an interesting topic.

I like that Josh identified
skill checks as 'win' condition
as a problem.

Skill checks should enable possibilities not automatically resolve a situation. Like a bluff may mislead a character which opens up a possibility to advance a problem your character is trying to resolve but is now an actual problem (you've lied) you need to manage going forward.

"Brief History of Role-Playing Games:
Little Wars and Chainmail
Dungeons & Dragons
Wizardry and Ultima
Bard’s Tale, Phantasie, Might & Magic
The Gold Box Series
Fallout and Baldur’s Gate"

What's fun is what's buried under the carpet or even not known.

"Look for opportunities to reward the player for their choices." Sigh, the best role play is in player head, so punish him for his little dream is the worst idea. For some role playing space, choices should NEVER BE a challenge.

I had good hope for PoE2 despite PoE1 was a half disappointment, now I wonder. Ha well, not that important, role-play always been minor aspect in my playing of RPG. My own role always felt the best for me and the more fun to play in RPG video games. the problem is more when dev want stop me play my own role, that is when choices feel crap.

Talking of a bias.

The study cases are assumed to display the features required to match the preset conclusion.

Study cases: Diablo, Assassin's creed : origins, The Surge.

Back
Top Bottom