Everything at once, or replay?

Replaying other genres I do all the time--I replay my tb strat games and hacknslashers because they are a process, not a destination.
Oh yes, though I only do it with old shooters, new fighting games, and sometimes jump&run games. When playing RTSes, I will play each side's campaign once, but that's it - I just can't see myself replay C&C'S NOD missions twice a year (unlike Doom or Heretic or Turrican).

I usually tend to run good only, but I did an exception with Fable just to loose 10 years of lifespan. But to not feel bad, I just sacrificed assassins and used tattooes/clothing to max out evil alignment.

It really depends on the game type.

I was just about to write almost *exactly* the same !

It really depends on the game (itself). To me, it's like a book : If it gets me interested in a way so that is fun for me to read it again, then I'll read it again. (Happened very few times, and the later books by Sir Conan Doyle were among them.)

So it depends on the game itself - and to a great deal of how it is presented.

Me, for example, I love details ! If I can find a detail that I've overlooked in an earlier game, than I'm very, VERY pleased. :) It's like watchi ng the Wallace & Gromit movies which are so incredibly full of details that you simply can't find everything through the first game ! :)

So, details are a very strong point for me. That's why I get bored by simple hack & slay games very fast.

An good example for a richly detailed world is imho PS:T.

I like to revisit great games a few years after finishing them. Although as much as I loved Baldurs Gate 2 (possibly the greatest RPG ever made) it was just too massive the first time through, I don't think I would ever play it again, lol.

And then there's Morrowind which has so much content (with both expansion packs and mods) that I've never quite finished the main quest but have restarted MANY times over the years.

I think the only games I've replayed soon after finish were non-rpg console games: Resident Evil 4 recently and Super Metroid way back in '94!

I also remember being SO ABSORBED by the atmosphere in Legacy Of Kain on the original Playstation so much I had to play it again a couple of weeks after finishing it. That game was such a great isometric-view Action RPG which was unfortunately followed up by full 3D Action/Adventure sequels a la Tomb Raider.

I did replay KOTOR soon after completion but that was because I got a better PC/Graphics Card and wanted to see it with all the eye candy and with non-stuttering combat, hehe.

Wanted to add: I used to love taking my time through games but lately I find myself rushing through to just finish. My reasons for this are:

- Not enough time! I have soooo many unfinished PC and console games gathering dust and not enough time to play them. Doesn't help that I have other hobbies, wife/kids, full time job. Also doesn't help that most RPGs are too long...which would be fine if a lot of it wasn't tedious filler.

- With RPGs, too many cliches abound. Seriously, storylines/dialogue have gotten so predictable and dull lately. If it's not engaging me somehow I just click on. I don't mind a predictable, run-of-the-mill story if the presentation is exciting and fun, but most of the time it's not.

I have to agree with you there, Relayer, especially on the reliance on cliche. I spent half my time in NWN2 just clicking along on the obvious dialogue choices, wading through a lot of conventions where the outcome was numbingly predictable.

There were some better moments, and some twists and turns, but the cutscene technique really ramrods the game along a track that nails you to the same plot and moral choices that were old in Baldur's Gate.

I expect NOTHING: :) So I can easily surprised. ;)

I believe, an true scientist should expect nothing, too. ;) Because expecting imho influences the point of view and from there on the result ... IF you look for something, you'll find something ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom