Path of Exile - Free Beta Weekend

Played for a couple hours just now. Seems to be a solid Diablo-like with good production values and a great dark atmosphere. The graphics and music are well done.

I love the lighting in the dungeons (I've done the Submerged caves so far), how you can see creepy shadowy forms moving in the distance but can only clearly see things close to you.

It has the problem of too many loot drops that many action-RPGs have but I suppose that is a standard feature of the genre. Not sure if it would hold my interest long-term but I could see it being fun when the hack and slash mood strikes.

I've reported some suggestions and bugs, But i'm through.
The most exciting thing is the hardcore event. When you just rush go grab as much XP possible without dying.
Unfortunately I died

I think that after replaying a bit with different characters that the templar is gonna be the character of choice unless they nerf it a bit. Freeze monster, spam that meteor/fireshower or whatever, and tons of mobs die. A veritable gala of quick experience and quite a departure from what I thought a templar would be with standard sword and board. It's a bit strange that when you go into the camp, that your party disappears. I think they are using multiple instances of the camp.

I also read they are thinking about letting people stay in the beta if they donate. Three of us played for hours on sunday with only a couple of disconnects when they made you load new builds. It should be getting close to release.

They officially announced that the store opens next week and any microtransaction purchase will get you a beta key.

Even better

I played some more yesterday for a few hours before the open stress test ended and enjoyed it even more than before. I re-rolled as a witch and had a lot more fun than with the marauder. Had a bunch of skeleton and zombie minions by the end of the night, and focused on fire-based attacks (direct fireball and the AOE firestorm).

My favorite area so far was the Prison which is a classic dark, creepy dungeon done really well - and the music there was just awesome.

Definitely still interested in this when it goes to open beta and release.

During act 2, the game finally crashed on me. I wouldn't mind a crash but in this case it crashed so hard it gave my windows 7 a blue screen, a crash dump, and a reboot to safe mode.

I've never had anything crash so bad. I'm worried that it will mess up my operating system and not let me boot the next time it happens.

Do you have a creative sound card? They are having problems with those and there are workarounds listed at the official forums.

Do you have a creative sound card? They are having problems with those and there are workarounds listed at the official forums.

Yes, it looks like my card applies. Creative titanium... fatality... various other fancy words....

At least it looks like they are addressing the issue, so that's good to know.

Played 7 hours.

I think it's better than Diablo 2.

Whoa! Coming from you that is incredibly high praise. I guess I should take a look at this sometime.

I certainly enjoyed it enough that I'll be back into it when it's out of beta.

@Drhuin - the areas are instanced. I played almost entirely by myself - outside of hub areas (villages or whatever) where I bought/sold or got quests. I imagine it is like Guild Wars in that if you join up with other people into a party then you share the same instances outside of hubs/towns.

It's an online game like Diablo 3 - but you're free to play alone.

And the store is now up with point bundles that include beta access.

Back
Top Bottom