The Outer Worlds - Review Roundup

LOL

Well, not a review per se, but an interesting social experiment of a sort:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/twitch-plays-the-outer-worlds
Yuck. Barf.
After the opening cutscenes, chat managed to get through the bulk of the tutorial in a pretty impressive 20 minutes. It’s at that point that you meet the game’s first NPC, a poor corporate employee trapped in a cave. Immediately after the conversation, chat commands for ‘RT’ – the shooty-shoot button – started to pour in. They overshot for a second, then managed to aim down a bit, and…

Boom. A single headshot, and poor Guard Pelham was dead on the floor. Chat was pretty split on whether this was a good thing or bad, but pretty much everyone agreed that it was extremely funny. You can’t beat natural comic timing.
Hopefully a scientist can make sense of this antropological achievement.
Twitch democracy at it's core. :)

Also, the same site does have a review, but also an additional article about the game length (not sure why they didn't put this in the review):
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/how-long-is-the-outer-worlds-length
The Outer Worlds is around 25 hours long. Now, don’t get it twisted, our playthrough was for review purposes and although every major side quest found was completed, it probably doesn’t search the planets for every little bit of content you could get out of the game. There are likely still some small side quests unexplored, collectables to be gathered, and maybe some reloading if you don’t like the path you’ve taken.

If you’re the type to book it down the centre of the game and complete the main quest and the main quest alone, you’re looking more at a 15-hour game.
Oddly, Kotaku's review stated 40 hours without mentioning if it's every stone turned, but it's definetly not just the main questline:
time played
Around 40 hours
Who to trust, and if trust at all dunno. No review lists if there is a potential "solved all sidequests" achievement nor if they got it.

Also from that Kotaku review:
type of game
Class struggle simulator
So it's not alien dating sim. Damn.

ACG also said it's a 40 hours long game.

Wisdom is confirmed joxer troll duplicate account.
LuckyDay and Ripper also confirmed as joxer duplicate troll accounts.

Awww I wanted to be an alt too.

40 hours sound like a good amount to me. I normally get sick of a single play-through game around the 80 hour mark. I don't know how can people stand to watch video reviews or any kind of reviews about a game that isn't released though. Way to spoil yourself and bias your own enjoyment of the game.

40 hour is ok, although I like looong games.

20 hours is too short. OTOH, if i buy the game I also get a Ryzen 3900x, so maybe...

pibbur who wonders if it actually was the other way around

Awww I wanted to be an alt too.

Maybe we are (with one exception, obviously) all joxers.

Memoarer12.png

pibbur who hasn't decided if that would scare him or not.

Alright, time to install and fire up the Epic launcher. Haven't had a reason until now, but no way in hell I'm waiting to play this game.

And done. Now...I wait.

Should be an interesting contest between Disco Elysium and this effort for RPG GotY.

I'm playing this on an Xbox One X (blasphemy to many of you, I'm sure), and thanks to a neat regional trick, was able to relocate to lovely New Zealand and start playing earlier today. I'm working now, but I'll get back to it tonight.

I'm not overly worried about the length because I'm always at the upper end of whatever range is given. So, I figure for me it'll be around 40 hours, and that's fine. 20 or whatever would piss me off for $60 (and make me sad, assuming my 20 hours were fun)

Game opened up early where I am (US, New England). Saw I could download it about 8pm. Been playing the last hour. 37 GB on the install. All settings maxed and it looks very pretty and places smooth as butter so far.

Went with my favorite - charming rogue type. Maxed charm, high dexterity, good intelligence and temperament. Handguns and one-handed melee.

Humor is great and so far been enjoying lying to officials.

Do you literally have your weapon drawn the entire time?

I'm blissfully non-partisan where gaming is concerned. (I'd play it on PC if my computer wasn't 2 years old, though)

The thing that would bother me is playing a game like this with a gamepad. I don't mind controllers for a lot of games, but I dislike them for anything in first-person.

So far: New Vegas vibe + Firefly music + Borderlands Psycho battle cries + Arcanum & No man's sky had a baby aesthetic.

I'm playing on Hard and it's actually… hard! At least in the early levels.

Do you literally have your weapon drawn the entire time?

Whenever you transition to a new area, your currently equipped weapon comes out automatically. Whenver you press x, your weapons comes out. It doesn't happen with major NPCs because there's a discrete interactive space for that, but for generic NPCs like "colonist", "guard", etc. you end up sticking your gun in their face.

Last edited:
How stable does it seem from a technical standpoint? Is it a significant improvement compared to Obsidian's past releases? I was originally going to wait for a few patches first, but now I'm thinking of jumping in sooner.

Back
Top Bottom