11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

Cleve is apparently online on Steam. Its after 10am in Australia. I just read this

infinitron said:
04:03 - Infinitron: What's going on Cleve
04:03 - Infinitron: We have a bunch of very worried people here
04:03 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES: Working very hard here on some last details that have come up through testing, almost there

Cleve has posted on Steam to say that there are still a number of issues that need to be worked out before it's ready for release. Sadly I'm not joking. Despite the fact that he previously said that the game was 100% complete and that a final version was submitted to Steam.

Steam has taken it down from their coming soon section. At this point Cleve is clearly lying. I have to admit it was a pretty good hoax this time though, even made me think it could possibly be real, having a Steam release date and all.

I'm fairly certain that there will be no consequences for all these shenanigans. After all, who really expected to see it release? =p

He's tinkering again, rather than fixing it up for release... and now is adding some new feature to do with versioning... I expect he'll release it sometime, but probably he is afraid it will crash and burn. The only reason it appeared on steam when it did was because he had to catch steam greenlight before it expired, when he would have had to pay $$ he didn't have.

The guy is really something. Then again doing something like that for 20 years, the last minute "tinkering" was quite expected. It wouldn't be Grimoire if he didn't do stuff like that.

It's a bummer for lostforever though. ;)

I have turned down an offer of sex in 8 hours from my wife to play this magnificent game. I can't wait to be part of gaming history.

What I find amazing is how he can make the same people jump through the same emotional hoops over and over again ;)

He's got a talent there, that's for sure.

Guys, we should be glad. I mean, c'mon, if it had been released, we would no longer have the possibility to make fun of it as easily as we can do right now. With Duke Nukem Forever no longer being vaporware, Grimoire is the gift that keeps on giving! So we should appreciate the additional delay of a couple months/years/decades.

Look at this july 3rd update. He was still adding spell special effects (animations). How much faith does that give you this is anywhere close to being a meaningful game. What I ant to know is (assuming one day this year he does releas it) how many suckers are going to pay $40 ?

I have turned down an offer of sex in 8 hours from my wife to play this magnificent game. I can't wait to be part of gaming history.

You might want to rethink your "no sex before Grimoire release" plan, or else you could end up chaste for the next couple of years. :D

Last edited:
… After all, who really expected to see it release? =p

Well, I've not taken any of his release promises seriously. Until now - I figured that, promising it on Steam meant that an actual release was more likely than an "unrelease". But as I've said before, I wouldn't bet on it.

Now? As @you said, it seems very weird to make changes, even small changes, to a game supposed to be finished, only days before release. I would have thought Steam wouldn't accept that. Makes me doubt that he really intended to get it out now. So, I'm back to believing that a release is … undefined.

pibbur who may be naïve, but not that naïve. Hopefully.

PS. For some reason, In my head I think of the game as the "Shroud of the Grimoire". DS.

Look at this july 3rd update. He was still adding spell special effects (animations). How much faith does that give you this is anywhere close to being a meaningful game. What I ant to know is (assuming one day this year he does releas it) how many suckers are going to pay $40 ?

Corwin played the whole game twice (!?) what some 15 (?) years ago now and said it was good. So we know it is or was then a meaningful game (I suppose it is possible to over egg the cake). And remember - quite a few people have played the demo and the super demo, so we do have reason to believe it is good. Cleve's son (on the GrimDarkly blog) who helped his dad test the game was saying the game was perfectly releaseable several years ago, but that his dad wouldn't stop fiddling with it.

If it does release and finally is good all will be forgiven, but I suspect there is still a lot of drama to come before that happens. Likely there wil be bugs... hardware/OS incompatibility etc. if the demos are any guide.

Well, I think I'll wait for a sale of the Game of the Eon edition.

Corwin played the whole game twice (!?) what some 15 (?) years ago now and said it was good. So we know it is or was then a meaningful game (I suppose it is possible to over egg the cake). And remember - quite a few people have played the demo and the super demo, so we do have reason to believe it is good. Cleve's son (on the GrimDarkly blog) who helped his dad test the game was saying the game was perfectly releaseable several years ago, but that his dad wouldn't stop fiddling with it.

Well no we really don't know anything except that 20+ years ago there was a "demo" (really more of an incredibly incomplete version) with a fleshed out version of the starting zone and the first town, and a vast empty maze beyond full of nothing but wandering monsters, but which was still technically possible to play. Some even suggest that Cleve never wrote it, but stole it when he left Sir-tech. We've seen the exact same fleshed out area released in various official demos, with a lot of the same problems and bugs. But never any evidence of the game being developed beyond them. Corwin has claimed to have played through the game twice but we don't know exactly what he played and how different it was than the 20 year old version. And for the record he also gave glowing reviews to Dungeon Lords when that first came out so many of us may have vastly different opinions than him about what counts as a complete/quality game.

What we do know now though is that Cleve lied through his teeth about everything related to the release of this game. He said the game was 100% done, submitted to Steam and approved. He also said that the game would release and any new changes would be patches. We know now that isn't true, and Cleve has even accidently admitted in his last post that he never submitted the game to Steam. Between that and his history of other lies there is absolutely no reason to believe he says about the game or to believe it's real, beyond what he produced 20 years ago.

Well no we really don't know anything except that 20+ years ago there was a "demo" (really more of an incredibly incomplete version) with a fleshed out version of the starting zone and the first town, and a vast empty maze beyond full of nothing but wandering monsters, but which was still technically possible to play.

No a demo and a superdemo were actually released several years ago and many of us played them, including myself. They were surprisingly good. Obviously there remains doubt over the remaining game. Personally, I think Cleve is perfectly genuine in wanting to make a good game, that conclusion is hard to avoid from the quality of the superdemo. Sure he is a pretty fallible guy in other respects such as anything to do with release dates. But that is a problem that afflicts many developers such as even Blizzard... Cleve, though, does seem to have an extremely severe case of making promises you can't keep syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom