Faery - Demo Released, Reviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Wow, busy day today with new stuff. Worthplaying has a demo of the RPG/Adventure Faery: Legends of Avalon. The file is 650Mb and here's the blurb:
This trial version offers you the chance to explore the island of Avalon, and to complete the first main & side quests from the great adventure that awaits you. This demo is available in English, German, Spanish, Italian and French!
In Faery: Legends of Avalon, the player plays as an elf or a fairy that will evolve during the story, through numerous quests and epic turn-based battles. Throughout the adventure, the player will customize his avatar thanks to a unique system changing not only the whole look of the character in every detail, but also its spells and special abilities!
The player will recruit various companions during his journey to assist him in his mission, and he will be given the chance to explore mythical places full of magic such as the World Tree, the famous 'Flying Dutchman' ghost ship, and many others, in order to try to understand why the Kingdom of Avalon is dying.
IGN as quick off the mark with a review and the score is 7/10 - quite decent for a small game from a major site like IGN. Turn-based combat, too, which I'd forgotten:
Fighting is turn-based and the attacks you can use are dictated by action points. As you level up you'll gain more action points to use per turn so you can unleash stronger spells and physical attacks. The more powerful spells require a recharge time, so you can't spam them. One weird thing is that if you select an enemy to attack and he or she dies before you can unleash it, the spell won't default to the next enemy; instead you'll just skip the rest of your turn.

There are a lot of fights to pick, small dungeons to crawl and plenty of boss battles to engage in, and for the most part they're pretty entertaining. You'll also pick two different companions to join you on your adventure out of six characters you'll meet along your journey. Ranging from a baby dragon to a peace-loving troll, gaining the love of certain companions can result in a romance, though there's never so much as a kiss exchanged.
More information.

The game is already available in a boxed format here in Germany, being published by Focus Interactive.
Saw it last Saturday.

I bought it more for some kind support that anything else but reading both description (of demo and TB fights) plus companions tibits, woo seems great! :)

Well I'll finish first the most old school RPG of all modern RPG I have ever played, I mean Fallout 3. I believed DKS had this crown, but from that point of view FO3 bury it quite deep.

Since when I got such intense and demanding resource management game in a RPG with no kind indulgence for players, I don't even remember. Dam what a fanboy I'm!

Anyone have any input on the quality of this game ? Love the art style / turn based.

I've installed the demo late last evening.

I'll defiinitively take a look at it during this day.

I like the demo - I'm just at the very beginning - but don't expect an AAA game.

This is like ... I'd say a middle class game : Not entirely Indie, but not top AAA either. Middle class to me, so to say.

It has two things I find annoying : The music (which sounds like ... I'd call it "not very inspiring classical music" - it's okay, but ion the long run I find it rather annoying, although it is not *really* bad - and the complete lack of voice-overs. At least in my own language. I don't know whether this game has voices in the English-language version or not.

Full speech would *definitively* enhance the game, imho.

The art style reminds me of the game called Zanzarah.

I played a bit of it, French version, no voices too, I do agree the game is a call for voice acting.

In fact there's something that doesn't match well, the text is put on top like with game with voice acting. But this choice doesn't match well the pure text approach that should have put the focus more on text.

I played only a little bit (of the full game), you can't setup the shortcuts but you have three controls types, all controls with a mouse, or with a keyboard or with a gamepad. Well the controls are simple so it's not a real problem.

The fights are turn based with a system classical for JRPB, like some Final Fantasy.

From the very beginning, introduction, light tutorial, first companion met, first fights, my feeling is tedious and I'm sorry to write that.

This beginning is really too light, no dialogs nor story nor first fights really grab the interest. From this very beginning it seems to be a game for young kids and not even well written. But from less professional writers, perhaps the beginning is failed but it becomes better later. But well for now I don't feel motivated by this beginning to continue play it. Ouch well, all of that is rude, but that's my sincere feeling.

There's no voice acting in English either. I don't think it exists in any language.

I bought it a while back and played a little but haven't gotten very far just because I am playing so many other games at the moment.

I liked the game personally, but it's obviously not a cutting edge top end title. It isn't ultra low budget indie either though, so like Alrik said it's sort of in the middle. I liked the flying and thought it made the getting from place to place fun instead of tedious. I also liked the turn based combat, but then again I kind of miss that from old games.

Overall I like this game so far, but for anyone trying to decide I would say just download the demo, unless it's an issue for you to make large downloads.

Played the PS3 demo a while back, and personally didn't like it at all. Seemed very simple and light, it may be intended for younger audiences.

Played the PS3 demo a while back, and personally didn't like it at all. Seemed very simple and light, it may be intended for younger audiences.

I could definitely see that. Personally, I liked the overall tone and thought it was a nice change from all the exploding bodies and dark and dreariness, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I enjoyed it so far as an adult and I think it would be perfectly safe and simplistic enough to let kids play too. That said, if G rated stuff isn't your thing you'll probably want to skip it.

Besides, the dialog choice "wheel" reminds me of Dragon Age 1 - has this form/sort of Ui already reached "[industry] standard" status ?

Nice fantasy fare, fun worlds to explore, weird characters, lots of different mythologies swirling around the characters and story. At one point, my party was my little scorpion-tailed faery, a leprachaun, and a satyr-like pirate. Good times.

Fun, unique flying control scheme. Had fun w/ it, good game to beat over a weekend.

xSamhainx, You sold me , sounds unique . Downloading tonight.

Avalon ? Which Avalon ?

Nice fantasy fare, fun worlds to explore, weird characters, lots of different mythologies swirling around the characters and story. At one point, my party was my little scorpion-tailed faery, a leprachaun, and a satyr-like pirate. Good times.

Fun, unique flying control scheme. Had fun w/ it, good game to beat over a weekend.

Sounds good to me. Just discovered this game but it sounds really interesting. The trailer was fantastic I thought. Looks like the lore is really unique. Lots of crazy characters, etc.

I'm definitely buying this when I'm not busy with Sacred 2 or other co-op games.

Played the demo. Really fun game. I enjoyed the simple combat system quite a bit. It's like a classic JRPG style. The world was also nice and I thought it was full of cool characters.

This game is on sale on Xbox Live Arcade right now for 600 points.

Back
Top Bottom