Wasteland 2 - Shows Modern RPGs How to Party

Wasteland is the best of both worlds, IMO. You make a party of four characters, then can recruit pre-made NPCs (with voice and story and such), up to three, for a party of seven. You get your tailor-made party, and some story-heavy characters who tag along with you!
Yep. Was going to post the same thing, but saw that someone already had. Wasteland 2 handled this stuff absolutely perfectly.

Might & Magic X actually worked similarly, but the hired characters there didn't do much and had no real flavor.

I'm currently playing the Director's Cut for the first time and have a huge amount of fun. One of the best RPGs I have played.
Only gripe I have with the party-building is that it isn't really self-explanatory what benefits you get from each attribute and what is important for which kind of char. Also speed is king in general.
Something really annoying was that the game has problems with DX11 and Radeon cards. Meaning the game crashes when you go to the inventory. Only solution is to force load DX9.
Other than that, no real bugs so far and I'm 50 hours in.

Yep, speed really isn't all that important except for melee characters and even then probably 4-5 points is enough.

I am getting pretty close to the endgame and I have to say that Wasteland 2 DC is one of the best games I have played. It's big, really big, with tons of challenging combat, and a pretty reasonable story to back it up. A few quirks hold it back from making it into my top 10, namely the uselessness of energy weapons, and random nature of lockpicking/explosives etc - they should of just been fixed level like the conversation skills.

I am getting pretty close to the endgame and I have to say that Wasteland 2 DC is one of the best games I have played. It's big, really big, with tons of challenging combat, and a pretty reasonable story to back it up. A few quirks hold it back from making it into my top 10, namely the uselessness of energy weapons, and random nature of lockpicking/explosives etc - they should of just been fixed level like the conversation skills.
I don't know about the challenging combat, but you're definitely right about the skills. So much time wasted save-scumming in WL2. I also think one of the biggest pluses is the overall atmosphere where they're not afraid to inject humor and references, use profanity galore, etc.

It's not one of the best games of all time, but definitely one of the best during the current renaissance (last 2 years roughly?) It seems like it's gone underrated. I played WL2 DC and FO4 back-to-back and it actually was kind of laughable how much more fun WL2 was than FO4, yet FO4 has sold maybe 20X the copies? Well, whatever floats people's boats.

all this talk about party creation is tempting me to start another Wizardry 8. As much as i liked the old way of random number generation it's just extremly time consuming and i don't have this time anymore. So i really like Wiz 8 "modern" way without random numbers. So save scumming before lvl ups is aswell history.
I really miss a new Wizardry, the japanese are just crap.

Elminage Gothic. :)

I tried and it's ok. I play alot Japanese Dungeon Crawler at PS Vita but it's never the same like Wizardry. And i love the Way Wiz 8 went. No random Stats and Lvl ups, free 3D movement without "steps", positioning did matter even more with the new system, tactical use of environment(hide in corner to not get surrounded).
And in generall, the great blend of fantasy and sifi. I really have to go back again. :)

Did you try Bradleys W&W?

I did and i liked it quite much back then, but again the random lvl ups. I don't know if the stats lvl up is related to how you played or it attempts to "should" stats. Once i had two lvl ups in one go and the second just got me 1HP even for my berserker. It didn't matter how often i retried by loading the save before. This spoilt it a little bit for me.

Yeah the HP and skill points were rolled each time you level up. Otherwise a great RPG that could have been a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom