Tides of Numenera - Delayed to 2017

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well cant say I'm surprised about the second delay. :-/

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1598831
When we last checked in, we were heading towards a content complete milestone, and we are pleased to say we have hit that mark. The game is playable from beginning to end, which marks a major step forward. This is one of the most content rich role playing games I have ever worked on. Here is just a peek at what we have been working on in the last months:

Of course there is still plenty of work ahead and we won't be cooling our heels yet. Our artists, writers and designers are continuing work to bring the game towards a finished state by polishing systems, artwork, quests and more, and QA is an ongoing process. In the videogames business and especially with RPGs, time to iterate is the biggest luxury you can have.

Torment has also grown to around 1 million words – bigger than the Bible – and we feel that getting a good quality translation of such a deep narrative experience is very important for a large percentage of our players. Therefore, we will be turning to professional localization services to achieve the best experience possible. With the game content complete, we have already begun locking down our text and breaking it into batches for localization, so progress is already being made.

This localization is no small feat (not to mention costly!), but we have a secret weapon… we're partnering with a certain publisher to help out on this front. But who is this partner? We can't comment on that just yet… but you will learn more very soon.

All said and done, our combined iteration and localization efforts are looking to be a 6-month process. So, we have two paths open to us, a bit of choice and consequence, if you will. Those of you who have been following our updates know we have been hinting towards a late 2016 release, and we could crunch and rush to get the game out around November. But doing so would mean both sacrificing the quality of our localization and would lead to a less polished game for the nearly 100,000 people total who have backed the game. Therefore, in the interests of giving everyone the best experience, we will be releasing Torment in early Q1 2017.

We know it's frustrating to wait a little longer, but we've come this far. I remember the pain of moving the release of Baldur's Gate 1 effectively into January in much the same way, but that ended up being the right move and we all know how fondly it is remembered today. These types of trade-offs are never easy, but from day one it's been our goal to make Torment the masterpiece you deserve.
Basically the game is done but translating it will take six months.

Balls. :brood:

What am I going to play at the next winter holidays? The only games I have my eye on are DX:MD and Dishonored 2 and they are going to be finished by then.

Seems like 2016 was (and will continue to be) a great backlog year...

What am I going to play at the next winter holidays? The only games I have my eye on are DX:MD and Dishonored 2 and they are going to be finished by then.

Seems like 2016 was (and will continue to be) a great backlog year…
I hear ya as a lot of good games are being delayed to 2017 now.:brood:

Seems I'll be busy replaying the Witcher & Dragon Age games.

Anyway in the words of one backer I partially agree with.
I hate missed dates. I hate absolutely no remorse from not hitting dates. This will be my last kickstarted game. The process goes hype, over hype, get my money. Delay delay delay anger resentment indifference then the game comes out. Time to break the cycle. You could make the best game ever and at this point not reach me.

Well, I would be upset but honestly I kinda doubt I could have gotten to it this year anyway.

I don't get mad about delays, if I respect the devs and think they're doing their best. In game development, I'm sure it must be the case that you discover unanticipated problems, or that certain things are not working as well as you'd hoped. Then, you either incur a delay to something about it, or ship something you know to be inferior.

EDIT: Although, I do get annoyed by Kickstarters that knowingly set unrealistic dates, then shove out something half-baked that languishes in Early Access for years.

One million words; somebody let me know when the abridged version of the game is released. Goodness! I think this game aspires to be the Planescape Torment successor, but I didn't care for that snooze-fest either. It was like visiting a museum. Walk to a placard, look at the item and read the placard. Move to the next placard and repeat. Ugh! :biggrin:

One million words; somebody let me know when the abridged version of the game is released. Goodness! I think this game aspires to be the Planescape Torment successor, but I didn't care for that snooze-fest either. It was like visiting a museum. Walk to a placard, look at the item and read the placard. Move to the next placard and repeat. Ugh!
I'll definitely need my reading glasses when I play the game.:blush:

I'm mostly joking. I might eventually play this.

Planescape lost me because there wasn't any balance at all. You'd spend 3 hours reading and then have a tiny combat mission and then another 30 minutes of walking around reading then maybe find a little treasure. If we have 1 million words, do we have that same equivalent of exploration, combat, and character building? If so, I'm excited. If not, I'm bored.

Back
Top Bottom