Kickstarter - RPG Roundup

I am checking KS on a daily basis through kicktraq and while good KS projects are easy to discover that way, I think Indiegogo is a mess.

Threfore I'd welcome it if you include indiegogo titles as well and call it "Crowdfunding Roundup" instead as HiddenX suggested.

I would prefer a focus on news for SP PC RPGs.
I...fourth? that!

@Couchpotato

Good idea!

Maybe you should call it Crowdfunding Roundup and include Indiegogo and others.

Please seperate the indiegogo stuff, not many of us support that.

`Tis a good round up. I'm not real interested in funding these things but I'm still interested in seeing what's trying to come down the pike.

Please seperate the indiegogo stuff, not many of us support that.

here here
The thread should just be single player PC RPG games on Kickstarter

I too am not a indiegogo guy.

Additionally, I want to make it as simple as possible for Couchpotato, so he'll stick with it for the long term. That's why I only said the top few. A couple years back there was a guy here who did a round up of all the DS RPG games and pretty soon it was a monster assignment. Interestingly, I haven't bought a new DS RPG since he stopped reporting on them.

In any event, the depth of the monthly (bi-weekly?) roundup can be expanded by contributing to the thread.

Whatever happened to rampant coyotes indie rpg stuff? Miss those.

It is so easy to forget some of the games coming if you don't hear about them, lets keep the old games getting updates.

Why all the Indiegogo hate? - it's an easy and hassle free platform.

sRYYfSO.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get why people care about Kickstarter vs Indiegogo at all. Should be all about the game, and not at all about the money-donating site it chose to use...

It's about who you are comfortable using as well. If you don't trust or like the way sites do things it doesn't matter if the game is on that site and only using it.

@Stingray
Advantages of kickstarter over indiegogo for players:

-The average project is far more high profile, so browsing for decent projects is more fun. That's because kickstarter is more selective afaik and the high profile projects normally choose kickstarter as their platform.
-Browsing Kickstarter with the help of kicktraq.com is fast and enjoyable
I check this Link once a day and immediatly see which projects are new and how they are doing
-While the navigation on kickstarter itself is horrible, once you are on the projectsite (e.g. by using kicktraq) it feels better than on indiegogo. Lot's of information is normally pubished within the comments section. Much more enjoyable to browse on KS.
-There also nice social features on KS which I like. Whenever a friend backs a project, I get a message and check the project myself.
-changing the pledge is much easier on Kickstarter. There is no easy option on indiegogo. Instead you have to contact the starter of the project
-you do not need an account on indiegogo, what of what use is that? You would not have any overview. Kickstarter also makes it easy to connect via facebook
-Kickstarter makes it easy to pay via amazon.com. Projects with fixed payments on indiegogo can only be paid via paypal which is not available on Kickstarter at all. That can be an advantage for people who don't own a DD. For lots of people an amazon payment is probably easier.
-Kickstarter only collects the money when the funding is successfull. Indiegogo collects it immediately and refungs it, if the funding is not successful. Which doesn't feel good as backer.

And in addition Kickstarter is the one platform you just use because everyone does.
I never tried out google+ because everyone is on facebook and facebook works fine. I prefer to have all my games on steam, because I think steam is great and I prefer to have all my games in one place instead of spread out in the internet.
And Kickstarter is the one page where most of my backed projects are.

Indiegogo mixes computer games and board games all in one category, which makes searching for computer games to support more tedious. They really need a makeover of their site.

Don't get why people care about Kickstarter vs Indiegogo at all. Should be all about the game, and not at all about the money-donating site it chose to use…

speaking for me,

I feel more confident about a product coming to fruition if the developers have to reach a goal. Admittedly, it is a self created goal, but I just feel more comfortable with that type of set up.

speaking for me,

I feel more confident about a product coming to fruition if the developers have to reach a goal. Admittedly, it is a self created goal, but I just feel more comfortable with that type of set up.
I'm assuming you're referring to where they don't get any money unless they hit the goal? Indiegogo has the same thing, it's called "fixed funding". Lords of Xulima, for example, is fixed funding.

Such a roundup sounds like way too much work to me, if you include all these genre mixes.
I would prefer a focus on news for SP PC RPGs.

A roundup a month or every 2 weeks is a job for a volunteer.

... But all are for SP PC RPG or did I didn't read well?

Of perhaps if now a game also mentions Multiplayer it's necessarily not SP? And apply the same logic for Coop. Or if a mobile version is ever mentioned it's not PC even if released on PC?

Not that I want mobile/coop/multiplayer but I still find this sort of logic a bit extreme. One more step and low budget indie will joined the banished crowd.

But one point, Mac only (I bet there isn't a single) are welcome for me. :)

Nice work. And I looked for an opportunity to say that the newsbits have been a lot more professional lately.

… But all are for SP PC RPG or did I didn't read well?

Of perhaps if now a game also mentions Multiplayer it's necessarily not SP? And apply the same logic for Coop. Or if a mobile version is ever mentioned it's not PC even if released on PC?

Not that I want mobile/coop/multiplayer but I still find this sort of logic a bit extreme. One more step and low budget indie will joined the banished crowd.

But one point, Mac only (I bet there isn't a single) are welcome for me. :)

Come on, it's not about being extreme.

This is a free site where all the main posters work for free in their spare time. It's ludicrous to place demands on what you want. If you want the extras, write up the regular column yourself.

I'm assuming you're referring to where they don't get any money unless they hit the goal? Indiegogo has the same thing, it's called "fixed funding". Lords of Xulima, for example, is fixed funding.

I didn't know they had that as one of their campaign options. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm aware of that, but think Kickstarter has a higher success rate then indiegogo.

Back
Top Bottom