Fukushima reactor's radiation levels killed a cleaning robot

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/10/fukushima-reactors-radiation-levels-killed-a-cleaning-robot/

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) wasn't kidding when it said the radiation levels inside Fukushima's nuclear reactor are the highest they've been since its meltdown in 2011. It had to pull out the robot it sent in to find the exact location of melted uranium fuel and to do preliminary cleanup inside the reactor, because it died shortly after it started its mission. Apparently, two of the machine's cameras suddenly became wonky, darkened and developed a lot of noise after merely two hours of scraping debris away. Those are all signs of extremely high radiation levels.

Best reason NOT to have nuclear energy. What a disaster.

Can't agree.
It's the cleanest possible and least pollution energy production, but Fukushima is the reason not to have a reactor near nature hazard possible areas.

Well, the least air and water pollution. The solid waste is a big problem, though.

Japanese absolutely didn't want any nuclear after Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Taking such reactors was a non-negotiable condition to receiving some aid.

Aid from whom? Check the reactor brand names, that should give a clue.

Japan is one of the least intelligent places to build a plant.
Nuclear is the clean energy. No reason not to build them.

Not that anyone really cares, but there are numerous cleaner methods to produce primitive ol' electricity than through nuclear explosions.

Remember Nicola Tesla? Couldn't we just pull power out of the air? What was the famous quote? "Can we put a meter on it?". General Motors or.... Some guy Morgan?

Must be a million humanity freeing patents hidden away to maintain the current balance of power. I remember there was even a kid at my school whose dad sold a patent for his engine that ran on pig shit. They all get bought up.

I heard one the other day "make all the roads out of solar panels with LEDS for dynamic markings". There's an idea?

Where does the money come from? Pull it entirely out of military spending!

Maybe I've been playing too many space 4x but this planets military investment is laughable. Futile! Not one spaceship? What are you going to do with so many land vehicles, attack yourselves?!

Alright, I'll see myself out :p

Well, the least air and water pollution. The solid waste is a big problem, though.

Exactly. That's my problem with nuclear energy. The waste products must be stored safely for years and years and years. Basically, we leave the problem to our children, and I don't think we have the right to do that.

pibbur who

Last edited:
Not that anyone really cares, but there are numerous cleaner methods to produce primitive ol' electricity than through nuclear explosions.

Remember Nicola Tesla? Couldn't we just pull power out of the air? What was the famous quote? "Can we put a meter on it?". General Motors or…. Some guy Morgan?

Must be a million humanity freeing patents hidden away to maintain the current balance of power. I remember there was even a kid at my school whose dad sold a patent for his engine that ran on pig shit. They all get bought up.

I heard one the other day "make all the roads out of solar panels with LEDS for dynamic markings". There's an idea?

Where does the money come from? Pull it entirely out of military spending!

Maybe I've been playing too many space 4x but this planets military investment is laughable. Futile! Not one spaceship? What are you going to do with so many land vehicles, attack yourselves?!

Alright, I'll see myself out :p
http://www.sciencealert.com/solar-roads-in-the-netherlands-are-working-even-better-than-expected

The problem was not that it was nuclear plant; the problem was the corruption of maintaining the nuclear plant. The company committed outright fraud in maintenance. Reports strongly suggest the plant would have survived the disaster (avoided meltdown) had proper maintenance been performed. Read the report. This is the problem with private business (of course govt can be just as sloppy as corporate so I guess there is no real solution to protect against endangering an entire city for a quick buck.

So much for Nick surviving the Glowing Sea :p

Greed pretty much corrupts and destroys everything. Seems to be one of the biggest sins these days with our own country leading the way.

Exactly. That's my problem with nuclear energy. The waste products must be stored safely for years and years and years. Basically, we leave the problem to our children, and I don't think we have the right to do that.
Well if it were just a matter of keeping it safe from the elements, that wouldn't be hard. Keeping it safe from the elements AND from people looking to make cheap bombs out of the waste, though... that's rough. (Kinda sad that we have to do it, too.)

But on the plus side: no greenhouse gasses and always on. These things could make for a very nice backup to solar & wind for cloudy/still times.

Back
Top Bottom