Matt's Top Ten Worst CRPGs @ Armchair Empire

Is the issue of Pool of Radiance messing up your OS when uninstalling true or just BS? If true, which OS's?

It's true.

I'm not sure of the details, exactly, but from memory - it happened if you changed the default installation directory and then uninstalled.

Not sure if it was OS specific or not.

I loved Lands of Lore 1 and 2. But the author of this article is right LofL3 was horrific. My first clue should have been the box art.

I disagree about U9 though - I think it was better than U8. But in the final analysis both U8 and U9 were very weak relative to the better iterations of the series (U3, U4, U5, & U7 in my view).

Is the issue of Pool of Radiance messing up your OS when uninstalling true or just BS? If true, which OS's?

I've come across tons of games that do that - if you change install directory or have a registry problem they can wipe files in the base C directory (those not in folders). That prevents boot in XP etc if it can't find a config.sys etc. Win 7 shouldn't be stopped by those kind of problems, but backup your base files and before restarting put them back if they've gone.

The article author certainly doesn't seem to like black isle/obsidian :p

LoL 3 was a let down compared to the previous two games. LoL 2 was amazing at the time, but any 3d game seems to age much worse than 2d.

AP sucked based on it's incompetent technical implementations. The main character was a huge douche, but the dialog wasn't half bad and you can't deny the C&C was deep.

I get that we don't agree, really, but personally - I think pointing out his list as "wrong" is an overreaction.
Where did anyone say it like that?
Though if anyone says "this sucks" (as opposed to "I hate this!"), I think reactions like "wrong!!" are among the appropriate ones since they´re rhetorically in the same ballpark.

Anyway, semantics nitpickery aside, in my opinion the list just doesn´t offer much substance, regardless on what its point is.

Luckily I haven't played many of those :)

Where did anyone say it like that?
Though if anyone says "this sucks" (as opposed to "I hate this!"), I think reactions like "wrong!!" are among the appropriate ones since they´re rhetorically in the same ballpark.

Well, maybe not in so many words - but it seems to me that people are using their own subjective opinions to argue against this one person's subjective opinion and point out why it's "wrong". Maybe that's the point - and I'm just too dense to see it.

I may not agree with his reasons, and I wouldn't have chosen exactly the same games for my own list - but I certainly see where he's coming from.

Anyway, semantics nitpickery aside, in my opinion the list just doesn´t offer much substance, regardless on what its point is.

I suppose it has no more substance than the subjective opinion of any other gamer. I'm not sure why it should have, or even how it could have.

But whatever, eh? ;)

10. Bought it, tried it and hated it just like the 2nd one. Loved the first one.
9. Never really got into this one or the first one.
8. Never played it.
7. Got it currently - doesn't seem so bad, haven't gotten far yet though.
6. Played the beginning - seems quite good.
5. Could never get this going. Maybe just as well.
4. What a load of nonsense, didn't like playing it at all.
3. Played the beginning, didn't seem to bad except the world looked pretty empty.
2. Tried to finish this a few times, wasn't too bad a game. First Ultima I actually got into.
1. Enjoyed this a lot because of the battle system. Never finished it though. The repetitive design was it's downfall - you couldn't leave the game for a while and come back, you'd be totally lost.

I disagree on Alpha Protocol, Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor and Dungeon Master II: Skullkeep.

The worst (buggiest) rpg of all time is Arcatera

this article's potty humor made me lol, although not my favorite genre of humor for some reason this had me laughing. His writing as he skewers these games is pretty funny!

Dungeon Lords, NWN2: Storm of Zehir, Beyond Divinity, Silverfall, etc.. I get the impression Matt hasn't actually played through all that many CRPG's. Maybe he tried them out a little while and read some reviews, but how can you say Alpha Protocol or Ultima IX are worse than any of the ones I just listed.

Since he picked PoR:RoMD as his least favorite, this makes me want to play ALL the games on his list. ;)

But seriously, his rationale is pathetic. Boo hoo, RoMD wasn't like the original, Boo hoo.

See Alpha Protocol was trying to be Mass Effect but failed in the end. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and never encountered a single bug. You can blame the designers they didnt want to change the game and an employee even stated what went wrong.

In the comments of Joystiq's review, "a tired dev" says he and his fellow developers worked hard on the game, but that the work lacked focus due to poor leadership. "The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world's greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work," the post states. "And you can't exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn't want to listen." He says Parker's micromanagement made other producers step back from the project.

The post also blames Sega, attributing changes to the design requirements and a lack of time to polish new features. "It was obvious 2 years ago that this game should have been scrapped," it states. "Instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish." The developer goes on to claim that Obsidian's other projects, including Fallout New Vegas and an unannounced project, are looking good. But Alpha Protocol, at least according to his opinion, should have been canceled.

Lands of Lore 2 was the biggest disappointment of a game for me. Alpha Protocol was good, worth playing and replaying after awhile.

The only game on the list that I played was Alpha Protocol. Reading reviews first WORKS! ;)

I remember reading the review for Descent to Undermountain. I don't think I've read another review that hated an RPG so much.

Why are folks talking about Land of Lore 2? it was Land of Lore 3 that he had on his list. For me LOL3 was not a horrible game but a huge disappointment in that LOL should have been a franchise that went at least to a LOL 5 or 6. But LOL3 turned off so many players, it sealed forever any possible sequels. Land of Lore 1 is one of my all time favorite RPGs.

Ultima 9 was also another, "more of a disappointment than a horrible" game. I played the game a good three years after it came out and had no problems with the game at all. I actually enjoyed the game. In particular I like the how good the game looked at night time. At the time some games made nighttime so dark it was unplayable. OTH, Ultima 9 was not really an Ultima game. It didn't even have an Ultima feel.

What I liked about Matt's list was that while I disagreed with a lot of the games on the list. His takes did not read like some ignorant fan boy rant. I enjoyed reading his comments.

It's true.

I'm not sure of the details, exactly, but from memory - it happened if you changed the default installation directory and then uninstalled.

Not sure if it was OS specific or not.

They DID release a patch for it, however.

But it was also said that the European Version already contained the fix.

The original site doesn't seem to be online anymore, but this tiny newsbit/article says everything you need to know in its essence :
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/pool...f-radiance-statement?tag=newsfeatures;title;3

More in this review here :

Perhaps worst of all, the game shipped with some egregious technical problems. While there aren't necessarily a great number of bugs, the ones that do exist are particularly serious. At one point the game consistently crashed when it saved, which required the game to be reinstalled. Even if you designate a different directory when running the game's installation utility, the game will always be installed to your program files directory on your C: hard drive. While we were able to uninstall, and reinstall, the program uneventfully, others have reported that uninstalling the game deleted their hard drives as a result of this glitch. Gameplay frequently slowed down to a snail's pace, suggesting the game suffers from memory leaks or is otherwise incompatible with certain hardware. There are also reports in newsgroups and on message boards indicating that some retail packages of the game shipped with missing discs.

Funny the worst list gets a lot more attention than the best. Everyone loves a good fail story.

It's hard for me to say a worst CRPG for me, since honestly if a game sucks I wouldn't really play it long and therefore would not really remember it. What was that Asian themed one from Sierra that came out around the same time as Arcanum? I remember that one being really bad.

Why are folks talking about Land of Lore 2? it was Land of Lore 3 that he had on his list.
Perhaps because I asked folk to offer their opinions on the differences between the two Lands of Lore sequels? Reading the whole thread helps. Also, the cover image he has in the article is from the second game.
DoctorNarrative said:
What was that Asian themed one from Sierra that came out around the same time as Arcanum? I remember that one being really bad.

Throne of Darkness? I've never played it, but I've wondered what it was like. It's advertised on the back of my Arcanum manual. I've heard it's essentially a party based diablo clone.

Back
Top Bottom