Gothic First time playing Gothic

Sometimes a troll jumps down a bridge and is in the water or somewhere.

Okay, so I'm now in Chapter 4 and I'm having some difficulties. Here's what's going on.

I have to find Xardas in the Orc Lands and try to get him to help us. However, the Orc Lands are seriously kicking my butt! Gangs of Orc Warriors are tough to take down and there is death in every direction I go.

So, is there a certain path that I need to take that is more safe? I don't need the exact location of it, just want to know if it exists. It could be that I'm in an area I'm not supposed to be yet, when there is a safer path to take somewhere else. Either that, or I really have to fight gangs of Orcs and Razors, etc. and I'm too low level (I think I'm level 19).

Any tips for this area? Is there somewhere else I should go first before tackling this place?

Edit - Never mind, I found a safe path. Very clever design!

Last edited:
Was that the golem path?

Was that the golem path?

Well, the path I found involved some climbing. I went into the Orc Lands via the path where Pacho was sitting. Then I climbed up the mountain and down the other side, on to another path. Then, yes, I went through the golem path to get to the tower. Much easier than fighting packs of Razors and Orcs!

Remember to occasionally ask for better armor. It makes a massive difference.

Also, remember that most monsters can simply be outran.

I say "most" because there are a few, like Orcs, who can catch you from behind if you go too close to them.

Why would anybody have to outrun an Orc? ;)

Remember to occasionally ask for better armor. It makes a massive difference.

I'm wearing Heavy Templar armor now and still getting tore up, so I imagine there is even better armor that I have yet to find...

Also, remember that most monsters can simply be outran.

I say "most" because there are a few, like Orcs, who can catch you from behind if you go too close to them.

I noticed this and thought it was a bit weird to be able to outrun wolves, biters, etc., but eh, I can see why they made it that way.

Why would anybody have to outrun an Orc? ;)

Well, when they come in groups of 4 they can be nasty. :)

Well, when they come in groups of 4 they can be nasty. :)

That's what transformation scrolls are for. ;)

Just make sure to transform back before any human sees you. Otherwise he could still have you registered as hostile.

That's what transformation scrolls are for. ;)

Just make sure to transform back before any human sees you. Otherwise he could still have you registered as hostile.

I've wondered what the transformation scrolls are for. I haven't needed them yet but maybe I will in the future. I'll experiment with them more. Thanks for the tip!

Blood Fly transformation is very useful because you don't take damage from falling down. So you can travel the direct route.

Blood Fly transformation is very useful because you don't take damage from falling down. So you can travel the direct route.

That's cool! I actually figured that Bloodfly transformation would be useful because you could fly/hover over the ground, so that's why I picked up a bunch of those when I had the chance. I also figured Meatbug transformation would be useful as well. I wasn't sure about Lurker, Wolf, Minecrawler, etc., so I skipped on those.

Okay, another quick question for you guys.

Are there any areas in the game that are completely optional? I've found a few dungeon-type areas with tough enemies and I'm wondering if the main quest will send me to them eventually or if I should explore them now. Any thoughts?

I found one area that I thought was optional, only because I haven't been sent to it yet. It's
Fog Tower.

I killed the skeletal mage and took the book which started some cryptic quest. I was wondering if that was part of the main quest or if I just stumbled onto some optional side quest. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

I think the game does a very good job of sending the player all over the map. Whatever the main quest doesn't deal with, the sidequests (most notably Chromanin) will. I think I still remember the entirety of G1's map and can't think of any huge optional areas. There will be some 2% stuff but it shouldn't take enough time (~over 15 minutes) to be classified as a dungeon-area.
The one exception I can think of is the bandit camp close to
the focus stone guarded by a troll that you hunt with iirc Diego

Edit: That definitely sounds like Chromanin.

I found one area that I thought was optional, only because I haven't been sent to it yet. It's
Fog Tower.

I killed the skeletal mage and took the book which started some cryptic quest. I was wondering if that was part of the main quest or if I just stumbled onto some optional side quest. I guess I'll find out soon enough…

Ah… Chromanin. That quest is legendary among some Gothic fans. :)

Yeah, it's Chromanin. I'm not sure what to do next about it, but the text says:

The wise one has a general overview before taking on his next mission.

So I take it that means to have a look around the world now before doing the main quest, and maybe something has changed/opened up, etc. Not sure, but I guess I'll spend some time exploring the map again and seeing what I can find before furthering the main quest. I'm already in Chapter 5 so I hope I didn't miss anything thus far.

Back
Top Bottom