RPGWatch Feature - Stranger of Sword City Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In one of his first articles as a new team member, Forgottenlor dived into Stranger of Sword City and returns to tell us why the Wizardry-esque JRPG hits all the right notes.

Like in the classic Wizardry games, you have two rows in your party. The back row is only susceptable to ranged, magic, and some special attacks, while the front row takes the brunt of the damage. There are four front row classes: the defensive knight, the tough but not particularly accurate damage-dealing warrior, the more fragile ninja who specializes in killing single targets, and the more fragile samurai who can damage large groups of opponents. In the back is the ranger who specializes in taking down single opponents, the wizard, the priest, and the dancer, who is the only class that can use melee weapons at range and can use multiple consumable items each round. You can go without any of these, since the dancer can be as effective a healer as the priest, though this certainly costs more in terms of gold. Each class gains skills as they level up. Skills can be active, passive, a weapon proficiency, or the ability to use multiple spells. Each time you switch classes with a character you can "equip" skills from the former class. Each character starts with two slots, and gains an additional each time they reach level 13 in any class. The only downside to switching classes is that you start your new class at half of your old classes's level and class level determines hit and dodge chance to a great degree, as well as what level spells you can cast. This makes for a very interesting system that gives character development a lot of depth, allowing you to build all kinds of unusual characters (including ones that are pretty useless.)
More information.

Thanks Forgottenlor for this review.

Very nice review. Wizardry was the first cRPG I played and is still one of my favorites. I am thinking of buying Stranger of Sword City now. Thanks for costing me more money you bastard :) Like I don't have enough games to play right now.

Great review, Forgottenlor! :)

This game is in my wishlist and I hope to get it by the end of the year, in Steam Summer Sale.

Excellent review, Forgottenlor. :)

Excellent review, Forgottenlor. :)

Well, thanks. I obviously didn't do it alone either. For those of you who don't know Aubrielle is our article editor. She rephrases my crappier sentences, finds most of my spelling errors, and makes sure my article is well formatted. So thanks to you to for all of your good work.

Well, does this game have some kind of mini-map?! Is it always there or you need to cast a spell like in good old Wizardry game?
imageview

This is a great game.

Hmmm... ok I wouldn't have considered this if it wasn't for the review. Now it looks like something I'd buy.

Its a pretty good dungeon crawler, need to get back to it when I get a chance.

why don't the Japs localize like we do? Is it some kind of revenge?

I think its because this is sort of a niche game (outside of Japan). They probably know they have a smaller audience and don't want to invest on the extremely pricey enterpise of hiring talented voice actors. And let's face it you can't do voice acting half way. There are unfortunately a number of games which prove its much better to not invest in voice actors than it is to invest in amateurs.

Not hardcore enough, SAD!

I'm surprised that a Japanese DRPG is inspired by Wizardry 6-7. 95% of times they are inspired by Wizardry I-III.

In that case you should check out Elminage:Gothic or Paper Sorcerer. There are no minimaps in those games.

Back
Top Bottom