Was 2014 A Good Year for RPGs?

• It Was a Good Year

Votes: 68 82.9%
  • It Was Just Okay

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • It Was Terrible

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Voted great, mainly thanks to Legend of Grimrock 2 and especially Dark Souls 2.
Divinity: Original Sin and, to a lesser degree, The Banner Saga and Might & Magic X helped as well.

Yeah, MMX was great. Really enjoyed it once I got used to the classes.

zero good games for me :(. I tried a few though.

Maybe you need to try with another genre then.
Is there any game you ever considered good?

Yea, MM10 is not on the list.
But where are Bound by Flame, some Styx game (dunno if that one is released actually but was supposed to) and The Stick of Truth on the list? Got eaten by a straw cat? :D
And where did LoH:Tits re-release (english translation) disappear?

IMO this year RPGwise was unbeatable. So many RPGs, with so many good and great ones.

Haha - that is what I was thinking ... so many good RPGs this year it was easy to forget a few making a list! :)

For all of you who haven't tried MMX I highly recommend it. I did not like any previous M&M release, but MMX scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. It is a fantastic game and if you are skipping it you are missing out. If you dislike 1st person sp party-based crpgs in general, such as Wizardry, etc, then you may definitely want to skip it. But if that sub-genre has any appeal to you then MMX is a must-play.

Didn't vote because I haven't played any game released this year, but I'm tempted to vote great just because we finally saw Might and Magic X. (You can guess from my avatar that I love M&M. :biggrin:)

Good year without a doubt. I managed to finish more games in 2014 (D:OS, Wasteland 2, Lords of Xulima, Banner Saga, MMX) than in previous three or four together. 2015 also looks very promising with Witcher 3, Underrail, Age of Decadence, PoE and many more to come.

You do realise that when you tell a lie a christmas fairy dies. ;)

I've only been a member here for a month or so, but I've somehow gotten the impression that you might not be particularly fond of a certain game.;) I'm guessing there's an interesting story behind that.

Is there any game you ever considered good?

Certainly. ;) It is not impossible to please me. Elder scrolls series, gothic series, risen 1, fallout series, baldurs gate, some of the bioware games, some indie games etc. I also love some hybrids like Mount and Blade series. I find myself enjoying sandbox games more and more which is good since this seems to be the trend. As for suggestion, I also play a bit of strategy (europa universalis) and make some attempts at a real life.

You do realize that fatknacker50 doesn't like MMX, because it won't run on his computer, though when he preordered it the specifications were different? And Ubisoft wouldn't refund his money? That was a dick move by Ubisoft, but doesn't change the fact that MMX is a great game, if you can get it running.

I'm also hoping we don't do our Game of the Year vote till February again, I'd really like time to maybe playthrough another candidate or two.
We usually do the poll in January or February and it all depends on when our entire staff finds some free time. We were late last year that I do remember.:)

We usually do the poll in January or February and it all depends on when our entire staff finds some free time. We were late last year that I do remember.:)

I for one rarely play games right after release, because I'd rather wait until they're well patched. Also I've got a huge backlog, so I don't get around to a lot of games in a year until its too late. :(

Back
Top Bottom