Drakensang:RoT We're getting it!

Strangely these seem to be coming from Canadian retailers?

Anyway, why are the Germans getting all the nice RPG's and adventure games? What is wrong with English-speaking people that nobody wants to release in English anymore? Do the US guys prefer shooters, or what is going on?

..and check this out: according to this site, it's already been out in English for a while but according to DTP Betty it's only releasing in English in 2011… -which is silly IMO, because if they released before Xmas, it could have been a choice as an Xmas gift.

Why are the Germans getting all the nice RPG's and adventure games? What is wrong with English-speaking people that nobody wants to release in English anymore? Do the US guys prefer shooters, or what is going on?
Unfortunately it is mainly the fault of the European developers/publishers themselves. Often they sit on completed English versions and wait for local distributors.

They don't realise that local distributors are not needed any more with today's digital distribution options like Steam etc.

And even for physical copies they could use Amazon etc. without the need for local shelf space.

But they probably need some more years to realise this.

Unfortunately it is mainly the fault of the European developers/publishers themselves. Often they sit on completed English versions and wait for local distributors.

They don't realise that local distributors are not needed any more with today's digital distribution options like Steam etc.

And even for physical copies they could use Amazon etc. without the need for local shelf space.

But they probably need some more years to realise this.

The things (file them as "rumors", as I'm not 100 % sure about them either) I heard about dtp are these :

1. No-one seems seems to want to distribute them in NA
2. If a game is digitally available, a retail distribution doesn't make much sense anymore - or so I understood it.

The Cynic in me says he wouldn't be surprised if NA distributors actually don't want this rather non-action game. But that's just so to say my Cynic's opinion (not in the sense of separated personalities but rather in the sense of different looks at/inner voices regarding a theme).

Or at least on the terms that dtp is asking. Funny how many Russian games get distributed, yet the German industry seems to be less flexible…
Indeed. I find it quite strange that dtp are one of the few companies who seem to have problems. 1C, Kalypso and Nobilis seem to be doing just fine.

Strangely these seem to be coming from Canadian retailers?
They'll be imported editions from the BeNeLux regions, hence the high price.

Ugh, well, it does seem as if some producers/publishers are shooting themselves in the foot, timing wise.

If DTP, for instance, sits so long on English versions before they get released, many Anglophone people who were willing to purchase, are going to turning to pirate versions out of desperation, and I'm for instance thinking here of the adventure game Gray Matter, which the English - speaking adventure game community had been waiting for for ages now.
(So what I'm saying is that this game is not even German in origin, but was designed by Jane Jensen, who also wrote and designed the much-loved Gabriel Knight games)

As seems to be becoming the norm with AG's and RPG's, the English-speaking public is only going to see it months after the German version has been released, and this is nothing to do with the actual language pack, which has been officially completed quite a while ago already.

These must be purely marketing and publising issues.

Gray Matter released with English subtitles/voice overs in Germany, I believe, so there's no excuse to pirate it "just to get the English version".

Larian have said that the UK market is actually pretty destructive because of our shops (Have you noticed how prices in the UK tend to plummet really quickly?) so English releases for smaller publishers tend to be delayed to offset that damage to the market, which I think it's pretty unfair on us Brits - We're shafted because of something that's not our fault. But some companies don't even put a digital version out at the same time for us Brits to buy; We have to either import the game or do without until it's released. What's to stop dtp releasing games on Steam whilst other publishers (Say, Focus) release physical copies later on? It's not an uncommon strategy for games and it secures sales in certain regions without the damage of the market.

dtp are pretty bad, in my opinion, but I think they could be worse. I wish they would secure a "proper" distribution method though, just too smooth things out. 1C typically release a digital version first, and then a retail one - King's Bounty: Armored Princess arrived in UK stores a few months after the digital version was released, for example. Crossworlds and Platinum will follow suit, from what I know.

According to 1C, the problem with the US is completely different and it's more about the market itself rather than the cost of games. But, then again, digital distribution exists and 1C have the sense to capitalise on it and use it to gain sales rather than sitting on their games.

Gray Matter released with English subtitles/voice overs in Germany, I believe, so there's no excuse to pirate it "just to get the English version".

Yes, the FAQ explicitely states that the game comes in BOTH languages.

I have it!

…just picked up an English version from my local online game retailer, www.take2.co.za I fired it up and its def English, the manual is english, voice over (heard Forgrimm and Gladys in intro) is english etc.. I assume this is the benelux "english" version? It is at v1.1 - does anyone know if there is a 1.2 patch? I saw some mention of it, and I'd like to patch it before I start playing (if I need to..patch it, that is) Not sure where to download it…or if it relates to this specific version..whatever it is!

I assume this is the benelux "english" version?

Yes - because Belgians just don't have any games in their Belgian languages.

Someone even said he or she would have the feeling of games in Belgian languages to be/feel "silly" (if I remember correctly). They are just used to it - games always being in English language.

Yes - because Belgians just don't have any games in their Belgian languages.

Someone even said he or she would have the feeling of games in Belgian languages to be/feel "silly" (if I remember correctly). They are just used to it - games always being in English language.

But they have good chocolate! And waffles...you can't have everything ;-) We have huge problems with multilingualism in s.Africa...we have 11 official langauges, but effectively English is used to bridge across all this.

As for DS: TRoT - seems v1.1 is current so I have started playing my dwarven 'geode' - I was rather unimprssed by the 1 pt of damage I did in my first 'geode' earth magic attack :-/ (calling up the power of the earth! not...)

Uh, the Geode is a difficult one ! You have chosen the kind of hero which has in the beginning the greatest difficulties, imho !

Much, much later, he becomes a great kind of hero type, I read.

Besides, as part of TDE background lore : All Aventurian Druids derived in the course of time from the Dwarven Geodes …

The Geode is a "Late-Bloomer" :)

I compensated that with learning Axe-Fighting and the Fulminictus Spell.

No, we are not getting it. We'll get 'Gray Matter' instead:
88036312392731295675.jpg

Just kidding.

@Alrik, Fenris - I'm pretty bad at melee (I'm level 2 or 3 now), I have acquired all the listed geode powers but I'm disappointed that I can't "shield" myself for any decent length of time - about 10-12 sec and its its gone - ouch! "Fastness of body" seems much betetr ,a lthough it does not shield the whole group (but at this point I'm only interested in shielding me ;-) I didn't realise how many spells were Elf/Human only - another 'ouch'! I have my old favourite thunderbolt at least, but I have gone for staves as my major melee weapon (since I chose a pre-canned geode, and he already had some points in that).
I'll have alook at this Fulminictus spell - hadn't seen that before…

Fulminictus is probably the original name for the Thunderbolt Spell - they merged german and latein words for the Spell-names and probably dropped that for the english version :)

Edit: and while The River of Time was a positive Surprise for me, Phileasson`s Secret was a horrible Dissapointment. If Gray Matter is a game, it can't be much worse than that.

Fulminictus is probably the original name for the Thunderbolt Spell - they merged german and latein words for the Spell-names and probably dropped that for the english version :)

Edit: and while The River of Time was a positive Surprise for me, Phileasson`s Secret was a horrible Dissapointment. If Gray Matter is a game, it can't be much worse than that.
Gray Matter is an adventure game (and quite a good one) by Jane Jensen, creator of Gabriel Knight series.
http://drakensang.com is labeled 'Gray Matter by Jane Jensen' because of an advertisement on its index page. It seems the web-site designer has made a mistake and now the web-site itself is labelled Gray Matter by Jane Jensen. Not a big deal, but I thought Drakensang fans might find it amusing.

Fulminictus is probably the original name for the Thunderbolt Spell

No, as far as I know, there are 4 of this kind (with differences of course) :

- Fulminictus - goes through armor and causes thousands of mini-wounds within the body, according to the rules
- Ignifaxius - the magical flame-thrower ;)
- Ignisphaero - the fire ball
- Kulminatio - thunderbolt, round form

I know it, because I'm currently playing Drakensang 1 on my gaming PC ;)

Back
Top Bottom