Anime Discussion Thread

I found out why I feel like I read the Promised Neverland story before.

It's Peter Pan! Horror metaphor Peter Pan.

Don't ask me why it took me so long to watch Mirai Nikki. It simply passed by me back in the day but thanks to the century where noone is a hostage of classic TV but streams exist, it didn't remain forgotten.

The story is about a wimp. Who is about to die. But, out of luck it seems at first, a deadly mistress of doom has crush on him and offs anyone who's, let's say, unfriendly.

If life was perfect I'd abduct dartagnan and force him to watch this one over and over.
But it is not and he'll never taste this unorthodox gem just because in this story a random worthless guy waits for a goddess instead of imbecillic goddess waiting for random dick.

If you're not a victim of prejudices coming from Hollywood's brainwashers, pick this anime asap. You haven't seen anything like it before and most probably won't. Not just the story but also animation and music are great. Once you finish the first episode, you won't be stopping but will binge it till it's end.

A mustwatch before you die.

Note: While unique in it's own way, the actual topic is again rotten human species. If you can't accept we're all bloody under the skin only depending on circumstances, just skip it. It'll be very disturbing to you and I do not want any responsibility for anyone's possible afterdepression.

Note #2: No I didn't watch Texhnolyze. Yet. Which is apparently similar setup, but starts and ends up differently. Will do it as soon as possible, I promise.

Joxer,why haven't watched Mirai Nikki until now?! What where you doing with your life,man? :devilish:

Lucky for you,by still watching it,you are again a trusted and exemplary member of society. Well,sort of. When you accept Mushishi as your lord and savior,then,then you will be among the highest of echelons of an Anime fan. ;)

"If life was perfect I'd abduct dartagnan and force him to watch this one over and over." Ahaha! That actually made me laugh out loud while rolling on the floor. :D
Good post,Joxer.

I found out why I feel like I read the Promised Neverland story before.

It's Peter Pan! Horror metaphor Peter Pan.

It's halfseason basically and I have to admit that beside Dororo, Yakusoku no Neverland is absolutely the biggest surprise so far. These two already deserve to be nominated for next anime of the year of 2019.

Neverland's intro, instead of a trailer:

-

Later today Crunchyroll will announce anime of the year 2018, live Twitch with list of nominees:
https://www.twitch.tv/crunchyroll?_branch_match_id=519542581717887643&ttid=bcfde51ed4=
Count me surprised Made in Abyss isn't among nominations. I didn't like it to be honest, but it shook the stale anime storytelling style and shocked the audience - even if we'll ignore quality animation, music and voideover, for it's shock only it deserved a nomination IMO. But… Seems the jury was not ready for that kind of revolution.

Last edited:
I watched the first season of The Dragon Prince on Netflix and then started season 2 (4 episodes left, will finish tonight).

I wasn't impressed with episode 1, but episode 2-3 were great and it didn't lose momentum afterward. Season one has choppy animations (it's like frames are missing in some scenes), but season 2 is very smooth.

Season one is a bit kiddy in place as well but then one of the main character is 10 years old and it's very much a coming of age story. Season 2 is darker though.

People who hates memes and pop-culture references will probably be greatly annoyed, there are a lots of them.

https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv318781851
The "Fuji TV Anime Lineup Press Conference 2019" event on Thursday streamed a new video for the Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato (Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri: Unato Kessen) sequel anime film, which reveals that the film will open in Japan on May 10 and will screen for a two-week limited engagement. The anime will also stream on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video simultaneously with the theatrical release.

I hated Kabaneri but some were not disappointed with it so now you know. The sequel won't be a whole season but a movie that'll appear on Netflix and Amazon in a couple of months.

Forgot to mention. AoT season 3 started airing and 2 episodes are out already.

Here's opening:

Other new anime… So far nothing I'd call mustwatch. Of continued ones have to say Dororo's animation quality got lowered but it's still exciting.

Sorry for doublepost about the same anime.

If there will be some episode of the year vote, today's AoT episode needs to win it. An animated thriller masterpiece, what people usually call edge of seat made an entrance to a "silly" anime world. Action filled nailbiter, full of emotions. Their and mine.
Some will say this level of quality was expected due to animation studio, writers, director, etc experience, but I can't remember any anime that produced a flawless episode ever before that meets my taste.

Note that AoT is not a perfect anime, sometimes it drags and feels like going nowhere, but whatever sins they did in the past, it's now easy to forget them all.

If someone still didn't start watching this show, find it on Funimation (USA) or Crunchyroll (worldwide). Some other legit options with different languages you can find here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNo...e_is_where_to_watch_attack_on_titan_season_3/
Depending on your country it's still possible you need VPN. I have no idea why Netflix decided to drop it from their catalogue. :(

EDIT:
Checked MAL, and they love it too plus they noticed it's so far the highest scored AoT episode on imdb - 10.0:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9906260/?ref_=adv_li_tt

EDIT2: a gif from it is a must, here's a random one that won't spoil anything:

5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwEho85TXbRd8QdEIhrdeUQU

Last edited:
I dont like vpns. It must be on Netflix. I watched the first two seasons while I was in the US, but it is not yet here. A shame, as I think it ended with a cliffhanger.

The protagonist being a Titan himself, then some betrayal and prison right? I vaguely remember those things.

Yes it did. Cliffhanger. Note that Season 3 already aired it's first part that also had a cliffhanger - we're now in the middle of the second part of the third season. Even this episode that sorts plenty of previously open stuff has a cliffhanger, but I refuse to put it as a spoiler. A hint maybe… never underestimate sidekicks.

I'm not saying everyone needs VPN, it's possible you may find it on one of legit streams I've linked a reddit post with a list.
Of course Netflix can't be rich enough to keep everything, but not renewing license for this anime is their biggest sin in this year. They caused some serious headaches.

I binged watch Mob Psycho 100 Season 1 and 2. I love the art style and animation is one of the best for me. Not to offend anyone but I think Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 surpassed One-Punch Man season 2 in all aspects. It's full of iron-out character development.The fight scenes are impressive especially when Mob fought Keiji Mogami and also the Ultimate 5 and Claw. The animation is fluid and keeps me on the edge of my seat.

One Punch Man? It's garbage. :D
I suggest skippin' it.
Didn't watch mob psycho, will give it a shot, but I trust you. Anything is better than OPM. ;)

Dororo ended and I love the finale. What I don't like is why noone ever asked morons if it's so important to please demons how come they didn't offer themselves. I guess the sacrifical customs accompanied with stupidity runs among human species - mass murderers always used someone else to sacrifice, never their own life. But that's exactly why we need(ed) art and why it mustn't be censored in any way.
Art has to question the society's missteps, has to document theose, has to stir the pot otherwise some things won't ever change. Thanks to mayan art for example, we know they had wheel yet historians refuse to accept that fact. Not even Mel Gibson's trash movie could change that fact. I'm waiting for a movie that'll deal with artist wannabees rubbish, so called "history genre", highly popular products that have nothing with actual history but are plain fantasy.

AoT finished airing, next (fourth and final) season is already announced and is planned for fall next year.
I loved the season and hope they wrap it up in equally spectacular way.
Meanwhile I've watched some other titles, mostly forgettable mediocrity, have to add a few words about three.

I've expected perhaps too much from Utena's author in their new work Sarazanmai. This time however the "thought provoking" material failed to provoke anything (at least in me), the result is an unbaked mish mash of different sillyness. The initial idea desire vs love opposed is very odd as it in reality can, but doesn't have to be "fighting" each other. Past that whatever the author wanted to communicate with the audience ends with multiple wtf-s in each episode.
Add cheapening of the thing with repeated animation sequences (I hate filler!), then questionable VO singing vocals and you get a timewasting rubbish.
The only good message suggested at fist as subtext, later drawn bluntly with something like "departure reveals how deep was the love" couldn't save this junk - reading Gibran's Prophet takes less time, says the same thing (among other stuff) and sorry because I have to suggest reading poetry instead of wasting time on this failure.
Avoid and recommend only to your worst enemy. Even better, recommend it to anyone who loves playing grinders.

A certain acquaintance shilled for Gantz so I've binged it.
The story is about a mysterious entity who recruits dead people (makes a living copy of them with all their memories and character) to kill aliens that live hidden on Earth. Sounds fun? Well… It isn't really.
The MC is degenrate. There is a girl with big boobs ofc who's not interested in him so he'll hollywoodize himself and for no reason fuck the first another girl who appears next, but hey, onscreen sex is very important to already idiotic story otherwise who'd watch the trash?
The show pretends to question different morals, for example hobo killers are first saved by recruits who shouldn't even care about anyone (as are - dead) only to later die and appear as new recruits for absolutely no reason.
It's not all, in the first group of recruits there is a dog who does practically nothing except licking the big boobs girl genitals. It can't help with killing aliens and recruits are so damn stupid to kill it so the entity clones a person that can actually help against aliens in future. But then who'd lick…
There is much more of idiocy in this anime including plot holes (who put the suit on the dog for example) and I can't remember an ending of anime so badly made.
To sum up, if your age is between 13-17, this anime is a must watch as is perfect for trolling others at that point of life. Plus, cmon, animated boobs are in. If you're 18+, skippit.

Unlike previous two titles, Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin is not a dud. It's not some spectacle or something, but seeing it holds less than 7/10 on MAL, I say it's underrated.
MC gets a job in government agency that tries to keep different kinds of mythological creatures a secret. Basically…
The thing is this MC can understand what those creatures are saying unlike anyone else. So instead of extermination or destruction of habitat and similar moves, the agency can now go pacifist route - if possible.
Truth to be told, music is not really good, animation either, there is some cheesy humor in it, but hell I like what they did with the idea where basically communication = diplomacy efficiency RPG skill. :)
Could have been better, can't say it couldn't, but if you're looking for an anime where violence is not the solution to everything, I promise you won't be sorry for picking this one.

Last edited:
The thread dried up? No wonder, it's a year full of poor and mediocre anime, rarely any title is worth mentioning.

However, I'm very excited about the new Blade of Immortal adaptation that's coming to amazon prime - seems it won't be censored much if at all, and because it's turned into series I don't think many things will get cut as in the movie (and the movie is fantastic, watch it please regardless of what you think about the upcoming anime):

Not sure in what state is the current year Anime show collection.
Watched AOT of course,and had a blast watching it!
My first cousin does not like it,anymore(or likes it less)… since,he is not impressed with the story and the origin story of the Titans.

After AOT,started watching the Winter season of current year.
Finished watching Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (Rise OF Shield Hero),and had a good time watching that one. The first four episodes where somehow the best for me. Latter on,as the story went further,the quality of it dropped. However,I did like the show. Oh,and the action scenes where not that impressive as well,guess AOT spoiled me with that. :D

Right now,Watching Dororo,and also,would you believe it,also having fun watching.
The action scenes are also on the low-end of the show. Well,there are actually a few very good scenes,but unfortunately,when our main protagonist enters a fight with a DEMON it just ends quickly,usually,and with no bigger challenge. Which is a let down in my book. The story itself is good enough. Which equalizes the other negatives.
Nevertheless,it is fun to watch,got to the middle of the show and pushing forward,relentlessly. :)

Today,I was watching some YouTube vids,and, YT suggested a interesting video.
Seems,that this will be interesting to watch,next year.
I like the artstyle,however there seems to be some awful CGI elements inserted in it,which is cancer for the eyes,but here one hopes,that the show will deliver some fun times.

Tales from earthsea. Not their best work but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Several things are left open which seems to be the major criticism, but I also like the mystery. Not everything has to be explained. In fact, magic is explained way too much in recent games and movies.

When I saw the movie title the name Ursula Le Guin popped up in my mind. Probably obvious to many here as she was a famous fantasy author but I haven't read much (if any) of her work. And indeed, after watching the movie it turns out it is based on her earthsea books. Maybe it is a good time to finally start reading her work.

It comes from a country where capital punishment is still a thing and it's questioning it carefully through a fantasy story with character depth and suspense.
But it's form makes it watchable also for citizens in countries that decided to stop with barbaric laws.

Regardless of your attitude towards death sentence, remember that in times of past sacrificing innocent humans to please whatever gods was pretty much normal. For all I know there is no country out there that still finds this practice acceptable.
The society evolves and has to continue evolving - without (uncensored) art that isn't possible.

Binged Attack on Titan season 1 (rewatch) and then 2. That show for all its color is as dark as Blue Gender. It makes Psycho Pass look a comedy. Also watched Deadman Wonderland which is unfortunately cancelled. That was a great show!

I'm basically bringing news here before Codex notices it. Assuming anyone there even heard about the comic. But even if they did, their trolling capabilities are limited and it's hard to imagine they could understand or use any of it in their spams.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/05/...t-controversial-series-will-get-its-own-show/
Not many of us thought that Killing Stalking would get an anime adaptation, but here we are.

Not anime really as is supposed to be made by koreans and is based on their manhwa of the same name.

Thanks to the amazing drawing style otherwise highly disturbing story perhaps wouldn't have such an impact worldwide. A while ago I did read this webtoon and honestly you haven't seen anything like it ever before.

Dunno if CGI can reproduce the reader's curiosity over the story you're aware how twisted it is at every point, yet you want to know what will happen next and how will it all end.

If you adore disturbing masterpieces (Severed, Uzumaki, Beautiful Darkness to name a few) do not miss the webtoon. Will the animated version be worth anyone's time remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom