Drakensang Drakensang vs. TRoT

Yes, and as that - as closed platforms with gatekeepers - they kind of funnel Reality like choosing which games we should play and which not, so to say.

Of course, retail is similar, but you get into retail without explicit invitations, too.

Steam didn't want Daedalic there, because they argued that their games - probably Adventure games in general ? - wouldn't fit with their audience.

Which is like : "We believe that Steam should only sell action games, everything else stays out", so to say. Which is actually bad for developers of non-action games. Which further alienates them and makes them go into an "non violence getto".

I thought my last post was clear enough, but let me repeat it even more directly: ;)

Steam is a closed platform. You need Valve's explicit permission to sell there! It's incredibly hard (or at least it used to be incredibly hard!) for small publishers or developers to get access to the Steam platform. Just imagine 2 guys in an office at Valve HQ, who get 25 submissions per day. There is no time to actually play the games for more than 5 minutes before making a decision. So you had to get lucky to be allowed in.
A year ago Daedalic (Memoria, Blackguards, Deponia), ex-dtp guys, partnered with Deep Silver. Not because they needed a co-publisher, but because Steam didn't let them in, while Deep Silver was Steam's new best friend after selling 3 million Dead Islands. After that Daedalic was granted a publisher account at Steam, probably based on the positive experience with Chains of Satinav.

Steam, PS3/4, XBox, Wii, iOS, … all are closed platforms with a gatekeeper between publisher and market.

I am well aware that Valve only sells games on Steam which they actually want to sell, and that publishers need their approval. But the question is (and maybe you know more than I do): Did dtp actually bother to try to get onto Steam early enough, and if so, were they refused by Valve? That's the same question I asked in my last post, so maybe I should reiterate it more clearly as well. ;)

Yeah, writing clearly can sometimes be useful. ;)

Only dtp knows whether or not they applied before release and were refused. The game had to go through Greenlight later, so it's quite likely it would have been refused without backing by a long-term Steam partner.

Deep Silver was Steam's new best friend after selling 3 million Dead Islands
3 million ppl bought that game? based on what? the trailer?

Anyway, Steam would be crazy not to do deal with DS after that.

5M+ units sold through on all platforms, said Koch in Feb. 2013. That was before Riptide's release and before their Humble Bundle.
A Deep Silver rep said ca. 1-2 years ago that things got much easier for them with Steam since Dead Island. Which is only natural. If you bring them big bucks, they'll be okay with pushing through smaller titles too.

3 million ppl bought that game? based on what? the trailer?

Anyway, Steam would be crazy not to do deal with DS after that.

Well at least the money from those sales allowed them to save two developers from the fall of THQ at least. I never finished either of them from getting bored, and frustrated easily with the re-spawns.

Back
Top Bottom