Last game you finished, tell us about it

Finished Assassin's Creed Origins (the main story and a bunch of side quests, you can still play after finishing the game).

I liked the story, but it had some up and down. Some part of the story-questing was a bit boring and repetitive, while others were quite awesome and then there was the last 4-5 quests that turned the game into a different one* that were a bit annoying. In other words, I really liked all the stealth kill part of the game, not so much the forced boss fights.

*most of the game is like an open world RPGs with quests, loot, XP, etc just no dialogue choices, but those last 4-5 quest are very on rail adventure game with fixed weapons/skills and big boss fight where you have to click-click-click and dodge-dodge-dodge when that's wasn't required for the previous 20 hours of the game outside one boss fight mid-way.

Funniest part of the game: you can climb basically anything, but you can jump on the spot.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is done. Finished it for the first time, but I had actually made it pretty far a long time ago because I remembered killing a Sharkman and that's in the last third of the game.

I disagree with anyone saying the Nosferatu warren is the worst part of the game. These people clearly haven't made it to the end. The Sabbat hotel is so bad that even the developers realized it was stupid by putting blood dolls and full gun stacks everywhere.

The first 3/4 of the game is great, the last 1/4 is shit. Like real shit. Boss fights limited to a specific build, almost impossible to sneak around without being seen. Every enemies have bloated hp, even humans in t-shirts.

I quite liked my character doing a f*** you sign at the end, quite appropriate.

Just started AC Origins. Does the stealth gameplay stay interesting towards the end? I really like it so far, great atmosphere, bow feels good, etc. but I know that in AC games things start to drag and become too easy. I do miss dialog options.

Finished batman origins. Nothing really wrong with it, just a mediocre game. Not recommended unless you really like batman *and* have a lot of time on your hands.

Mirror's edge. Much better than I thought. Those environments in the reviews seem very bland (only rooftops), but you actually encounter some fun levels from subways to boats. The platforming (hate the word parkour) is very fluid and intuitive but not flawless, which I would expect for a game built on it. For instance, grabbing ledges was a bit hit and miss sometimes. Quite frustrating. There was also some good frustration when figuring out solutions to rooms.

Just started AC Origins. Does the stealth gameplay stay interesting towards the end? I really like it so far, great atmosphere, bow feels good, etc. but I know that in AC games things start to drag and become too easy. I do miss dialog options.

I found the stealth gameplay the most interesting aspect of the game and got annoyed in the few quests where it wasn't possible. It just offers the most variety to deal with objectives. If you want it to be harder, don't use Senu and don't upgrade your gear.

I'll say the "start to drag" in Origin is more caused by repetitive side quests in some of the regions (the same "town" has multiple side quests with repetitive elements). Memphis is probably where that happen the most.

VtM:Bloodlines. Disagree with azarhal about the last part of the game, but I'm using the plus patch so maybe that improved things. Hardest fights for me were in the middle of the game: Bishop Victor and Sabbat Leader (first meeting). I wanted to stick by La Croix till the end but I couldn't allow him to open the sarcophagus after Beckett's warning, so I sided with Strauss. After watching the other endings on Youtube I think I made the right choice!

Sniper Elite 4, oddly enough. Got it on sale, and it was a fun stealth shooter, even though I don't normally like shooters much.

This afternoon I completed Infinite Adventures, what a blast!! I'd heard so much about this game, but held off a few months just to make sure I would be playing it without patches and such, and didn't have any problems in that area at all. It's a straight up dungeon crawler, the place has twenty-five levels, and each area is huge. It was a bit confusing when I first started the game, then you create your own character and it makes a lot more sense from that point.

Lots of classes to pick from, you can go with straight up warrior types, pure mages, or a few hybrids that fall in between. During the course of the game you'll also run into folks that you can recruit into your guild, and play them if you so choose. I would say the re-playability of this game is extremely high, because there is simply no way you can explore all the classes thoroughly on just one run, I know that I when I replay this in the future I will do so to put some of the other classes through their respective paces.

Each level of the dungeon has quests associated with it, and getting back to the town isn't a hassle. Some of the rewards are minor, others are impressive. There is quite a rich story that you're unraveling the entire time, and that really kept me immersed in the game and wanting to see how it all plays out.

If you even remotely like dungeon crawlers with turn based combat, treat yourself and give this one a whirl!

I actually recently finished playing Way Out with my little brother and that was really fun. I like the whole Co-Op concept going on, never had that before but it was pretty decent to trying to escape from the prison! It is also cheap on the PS4!

I just completed Tahira this morning, and while I had a good time playing it, I'll likely not ever replay this game. I didn't care for how often during battles the enemies got reinforcements by simply having them materialize, or drop down from the clouds somehow. Good story and design of the game itself, but some seriously maddening mechanics.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (2004, PC remaster 2014), time taken: 75.5 hours over a one month period.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this game, which was a big surprise to me as I'd never played a jRPG before and I normally don't last very long at all in games where the enemies respawn when you re-enter an area. So on two counts the game has taken on two of my biggest RPG phobias and won through with fanfares and a ticker tape parade.

Which is amazing considering the game only really has two main gameplay elements, a railroaded story with barely any room for choice or consequence, and combat, lots and lots of turn-based combat against a whole host of different enemy types. You can find yourself an hour later in what seems like minutes just from clicking conversational speech bubbles one moment and an hour later from simply walking a few meters and engaging in five or six combat encounters.

However there is more to the game than just that, anyone who says "that's all there is" is vastly underselling the different things you do in the game from moment to moment. It does have puzzles, not many, just a couple or so, but they're in the form of riddles and I had no clue and they both beat me completely. I used a walkthrough for the first & then felt a sense of willing submission for the second & let the game go on without completing it. Both of these toughies are completely optional, just as are some of the more puzzle-like quests.

There are interesting dungeons to explore, both optional and required. The optional ones are more like Wizard's Towers that you gradually ascend to find great optional loot, whereas the required ones still contain lots of optional areas that are worth exploring. As the game progresses some even benefit from getting out your pen and paper to map them, which is always a good sign. They're not massive & obtuse, just complicated enough to give your natural memory and sense of direction a good work out.

There's also food items you both find and buy. These can be converted into pack-lunches and dinners via a recipe system which converts your food into a gigantic variety of healing potions, in addition to the game's normal healing potion variety. I was playing on normal difficulty and so never really used them, but I can see how on harder difficulties people might like to take more advantage of them.

There's also a fishing mini-game at one point, which made for a very nice break from main game, and it comes at almost exactly the half-way point, so sort of like a little intermission.

And it's all the little things, many, many little things that are all great and all numerous which all add up to the sum that is greater than it's parts. The incredible detail of the art, where every house you go in is as finely detailed as a hobbyist's scale model even if that location has no in-game value at all. The incredible detail given to each and every NPC, even the random street walkers each have their own line/s of dialogue that are unique to them and their situation, and will even change as each plot-progression occurs, even if that NPC has no in-game value at all.

The writing itself has genuine soul. At first I really didn't like what I was seeing with the characters, "here come the horrific cliches, OMG, am I really going to have to put up with these people all game!!??", but no, they are not cardboard stereotypes, they are all people with carefully defined characters, plot-arcs and barrels of emotion. At some point everything just clicks and the usual situation is reversed, no longer is one excusing the mostly bad writing with moments of magic, one is excusing the rarely bad cringey moments by no longer caring about them in the sea of quality.

The combat can get repetitive occasionally and although the game does permit grinding there's no great incentive to grind and no combat encounter types really outstay their welcome, even if a couple here and there do come close. I tried to defeat each available enemy at least once and rarely did I have to repeat any encounters and I didn't need any additional grinding to comfortably beat the game on normal difficulty and even here I probably took on more encounters than I needed to.

So, with nothing dramatically negative to say, would I give this game a solid 10/10? Of course not. Is it a perfect cRPG? Of course not. Is it one of the best games I've ever played? Sure is. Is it good at being a cRPG? Very nearly, but not quite. As is the usual curse of story-driven games, it denies one the ability to have a character creation screen. Further to that one can't even use a different weapon. In fact, all weapon and equipment upgrades are a matter of simply upgrading the numbers on each item via a new identical item with better stats and a different name. You will never have a flaming sword, just a sword with a higher base value. And you'll never have the choice of convering to two-handers or to ranged etc.

Like most good games, and good RPGs, it focuses really hard on what it's good at and simply jettisons those aspects which it can't do. What it does it does at a good 9 to 10 out of 10. What it lacks cannot be quantified by a score, it can merely be mentioned as a lack.

Upon finishing the game I was given the chance to save my game-state upon completion, which I did, as you can start the second part of the epic trilogy from the exact character build and a few story/gameplay choices that you ended the first with, which, again, shows the huge and positive dedication to detail which went into these games and I for one will be playing the second part at some point in the near future, life willing.

Just so you know, while Tits was IMO one of best RPGs I've ever played, I hated the sequel. :)

You don't have to grind anywhere and will still be able to do everything. The only place you should grind over a trashmob or two is the last "dungeon" so all your red buttons are always prepared to cast ultimates. ;)

You cannot go wrong with either of the Trail of Sky games, they are both glorious and well worth playing. I really hope we get the third one on our computers within the next few years.

LOL no. The third game is good again. The second is everything is same 'xcept the text. That plain sux IMO and I can't speak anything positive about it. :D

Okay joke aside. You mixed Tits with Tocs just as I did the other day - misread AoW thread title and wrote about AoE. ;)
Now Tocs sequel is almost as good as the first game, the only two things I can't forgive is certain person remained dead (hopefully returns in the third game) and the last "labyrinth" is too big. Should have been shorter.

Ehhh I got briefly confused with my post above, I meant I hope we see the third installment from the Cold Steel series sometime. All three of the Trail of Sky games are decent, played them all twice so far and know for a fact I'll be playing them again in the future!!

We will see it soon. NIS is responsible for bringing console versions to western audiences, PC version is not announced yet.
So two days ago OnlySP wrote…
https://www.onlysp.com/legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-trailer-new-allies/
NIS America has dropped a new trailer for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III showing off some of the game’s new characters.

The trailer shows the return of Rean Schwarzer, the main protagonist of Trails of Cold Steel I and II, as an instructor for Thors Military Academy’s branch campus. The trailer also introduces new characters that make up the next Class VII, including Kurt Vander, Juna Crawford, Musse Egret, Ash Carbide, and Altina Orion (who was introduced in the second game).

I can say only one thing:
Let's do this.

If Cold Steel three doesn't make it to the computers, I'll likely pick up a console just to finish the bloody story. But considering the first two make the trek, I'm sure the third will join them at some point. Make it so!!

So what specifically does Tits do right? Lackblogger's description makes it sound terrible.

Those games tell great stories, have superb combat systems, huge exploration areas with commiserative rewards, and will completely give you bang for every dollar you spend on them. On top of those incentives, you also get a huge roster to choose from, basically enabling you to select the style that best suits you and go forth, slaying all that oppose you.

Oh, and mechs. Buy now, play today, praise your decision tomorrow.

So what specifically does Tits do right? Lackblogger's description makes it sound terrible.
I think I wrote above.
There is nothing locked behind excessive grinding walls. The rumor when I played it was the game actually punishes those who grind, but I'm the one person who can't confirm it. ;)
Buy now, play today, praise your decision tomorrow.
+1
On Tits1 and 3, Tocs 1 and 2.

Back
Top Bottom