Kingdom Come - Multiplayer Mod

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Ostrog A multiplayer mod for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is currently in development but its still early stages.

Fans are working on making Warhorse Studios’ medieval action role-playing game Kingdom Come: Deliverance playable with others. The first multiplayer mod for the game is currently in development, although it's in the extremely early stages. So far, while players are able to sync into the games of others, they can only see each others horses. Player models and everything else are currently invisible, and it looks as if players can't dismount from the horses yet either. So, really it becomes a massively multiplayer horse riding game.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

"A multiplayer mod for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is currently in development but its still early stages."

What for?

The game was designed for singleplayer only, it was developed having in mind singleplayer mode only…

I understand modders most of times try to make a game (any game) better, but then I stress the expression "most of times" used here.

I view it differently.
Multiplayer should be left to modders. Obviously they can do it and obviously it confirms what numerous people said - today developing multiplayer is much cheaper than developing singleplayer thus TOR and Anthem instead of Kotor3. If I'll be evil, seems it's cheaper even than developing a phonegame pay2win scam, if wasn't those modders would take their chances with some new Candy Crush Saga.

A perfect world without mmo mastodons like WoW can't exist, but a world where multiplayer is left to modders can. Here's hope it will.

I am referring to the fact that modders are doing a multiplayer mod for a game which, at first, doesn't need it. That's why I asked "what for?" above.

We have different opinions here, Joxer. First, I don't believe developing multiplayer modes should be left to modders. Even if the developers intend to release a multiplayer mode/patch/DLC after the initial game release (see Klei's Don't Starve Together), then they should properly do that, not modders. Leaving modders to do the "dirty work" is a practice Bethesda does and we all condemn here. Second, TOR (The Old Republic ???) and Anthem are both games developed with multiplayer in mind, that's why we may see multiplayer properly done in both these games. Not because multiplayer is "much cheaper" to make; but because the devs designed and developed the games you mentioned with multiplayer in mind, since from the start. Because devs wanted to do so, period.

Sometimes it's so hard for devs to escape from the "let's-put-multiplayer-mode-in-all-games" trend that, when they do, we (singleplayer lovers) should commend them for the efforts.

Last edited:
So what if some modder is trying to add multiplayer capabilities to a game that never had it.

It sounds fun if they can get it to work. More power to them.

I get that some multiplayer games are mindless and lazy, and random players showing up can just be troublesome jerks, made even worse by their anonymity.

This is not true for all games. A lot of games are made more fun by having multiplayer. a lot of single player games are boring without it. Imagine how less boring Morrowind and Oblivion would have been if they had multiplayer.

Let's hope the dev of Kingdom Come doesn't try to put a stop to it.

Nah I'm with @henriquejr on this issue. Not every game needs MP.

Single-player only or bust is my motto.:biggrin:

Impressive. Most don't realize how difficult this is. Any comment from Vavra boys?
This could turn out amazing if they manage to take it step further, Mount and Blade first Person battles ( though on much smaller numbers/scale).
With how melee works this would make for some fantastic co-op experience.

Why? Seems like every popular single player game gets a bunch of "but why can't you put co-op in!?" threads. There are VASTLY more extraverts in gaming these days.
That would be completely insane of them! Those co-op gamers would buy their game for a feature that Warhorse hasn't done and aren't even expected to support! It's like free money! Now if it were a KC:D pirate version moddified to have co-op, that would be another matter.

So what if some modder is trying to add multiplayer capabilities to a game that never had it.

I am pretty sure modders are trying to do this.

It sounds fun if they can get it to work. More power to them.

Fully agreed here.

(…) a lot of single player games are boring without it.

Eh? If you think so, then I'm OK with that.

Imagine how less boring Morrowind and Oblivion would have been if they had multiplayer.

I fail to see that. And if you really think both TES III and TES IV were boring without multiplayer modes, sorry to say that but multiplayer would hardly save them either. Multiplayer doesn't have this power per se. It may make a great singleplayer game greater, but it can't alone make a bad /boring game any better.
PS: while I haven't played TES III, I didn't find TES IV boring.

Me too. While I really think a mod like that in a game like that is IMHO absolutely unnecessary, I'm against any kind of prohibition, so let the mod be fully made.

Last edited:
That would be completely insane of them! Those co-op gamers would buy their game for a feature that Warhorse hasn't done and aren't even expected to support! It's like free money! Now if it were a KC:D pirate version moddified to have co-op, that would be another matter.

Bethesda has stopped people (or at least asked them) toso that's why I bring it up.

Fully agreed here.

OK, so if we agree, and @Couchpotato; agrees with you then by correlation, Spud and I agree. However, since he agrees with you and you are against the idea of adding multiplayer, therefore I am against adding multiplayer?

I fail to see that. And if you really think both TES III and TES IV were boring without multiplayer modes, sorry to say that but multiplayer would hardly save them either. Multiplayer doesn't have this power per se. It may make a great singleplayer game greater, but it can't alone make a bad /boring game any better.
PS: while I haven't played TES III, I didn't find TES IV boring.

Yeah, I found them both unfocused and boring as hard as I tried to like them and as much as I appreciated the upgrade in graphics like we haven't seen in RPG's since the 80's. I appreciated that Skyrim was a lot of fun, but I had my fill of it now.

OK, so if we agree, and @Couchpotato; agrees with you then by correlation, Spud and I agree. However, since he agrees with you and you are against the idea of adding multiplayer, therefore I am against adding multiplayer?

Oh, Lucky Day, now I see that I was misundestood. Maybe because English is not my mother language. <Ahem> Let me make myself a bit more clear:

I agree with the idea behind "More power to modders", as you've said above. I really do. I am not against modders creating a multiplayer mod for Kingdom Come: Deliverance (or for any other game out there). I just can't see the real point doing this. As @Couchpotato; said, not every SP game needs a MP mode. KCD surely doesn't need it, I don't believe the game will really benefit from it. But again, that's my humble opinion, maybe I'm wrong. Hell, probably I am wrong.

Oh, Lucky Day, now I see that I was misundestood. Maybe because English is not my mother language. <Ahem> Let me make myself a bit more clear:

I agree with the idea behind "More power to modders", as you've said above. I really do. I am not against modders creating a multiplayer mod for Kingdom Come: Deliverance (or for any other game out there). I just can't see the real point doing this. As @Couchpotato; said, not every SP game needs a MP mode. KCD surely doesn't need it, I don't believe the game will really benefit from it. But again, that's my humble opinion, maybe I'm wrong. Hell, probably I am wrong.

I see what you are saying now and I see that I read it as harsher than you intended. There has been so much hostility to anything multiplayer over the past 15 years that everything multiplayer is seen as bad by a select group. What could be a great feature or option in a game is too often met by an angry mob of gamers with pitchforks.

I just can't see the real point doing this. As @Couchpotato; said, not every SP game needs a MP mode. KCD surely doesn't need it, I don't believe the game will really benefit from it.
I would argue that there is a point of adding multiplayer to games that were singleplayer only when released.
It adds whole new aspect to the games, that can provide whole new levels of fun to the already fun game.
There are many existing examples of this.

Best example in my opinion is TES3MP adds multiplayer to TES3: Morrowind, and so far many people got back into Morrowind because of it, or even tried Morrowind for the first time because they could have friend next to them, guiding them through the experience.

Similar projects were made for GTA: San Andreas (MTA, SA-MP), System Shock 2 (included with Steam release), Just Cause 2 (mod on Steam), Super Mario 64 and many other games.

So it seems there are groups of people who see the appeal in added multiplayer. I consider myself one of such people, and I do believe that Kingdom Come is a game that can be much more enjoyable if played with other people.

Back
Top Bottom