Mod of the Year - Players Choice

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The players mod of the year has been announced at Moddb with Fallout New California taking top honours.

Mod of the Year Top 10

Anomaly is a standalone S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod powered by an x64 version of Open X-Ray. Built upon Last Day, the mod continues its way on expanding and adding new features while maintaining a high level of quality and replay value.

From the Founding of Pendor - the year is 354 A King has not ruled the shattered land of Pendor for many generations. What was once a proud accomplishment of man now is steeped in the myths of folklore and told as children's bedtime stories. Yet, the legends live on of a prophesy of hope. A tale of a champion who comes from a distant shore and unites the lords of Pendor under a single Ruler and brings peace and prosperity once again to this ravaged war-torn land. All is not as it seems as there are many powers who have their own ends in mind and an epic struggle is about to unfold. Strap on your sword, and buckle your imagination. Prepare to enter the world of Pendor and accept the challenge of the Prophesy - if you dare.

2ND PLACE

Warsword Conquest

For: Mount & Blade: Warband

Warsword Conquest is a total conversion of warbands mount and blade 1.153 based on the Warhammer Fantasy world by Games workshop and is single player only at moment.

Fallout: New California adds an all new story around a new player character, an adopted resident of Vault 18, embarking on a journey through the wastelands of the New California Republic's Cajon Pass. An unofficial prequel to New Vegas, FPB adds hours of new gameplay and a fully voiced stand alone campaign.

You will face the New California Republic under president Wendell Peterson, the New Reno Mob's Bishop Family, the remnant Shi Clans, The Enclave Leonidas Squadron, the Super Mutant Army, and the bloodthirsty Raider Alliance that have banded together in the remote Athens-Tec Uranium Mine off the Long I-15.

Through them all you'll choose your path from SPECIAL dialog options, acquired PERKs, and travel with 8 possible companions depending on your choices. You'll enjoy two new radio stations with unique music, hours of voice acting, and professional grade presentation.

There is always another path to take in New California. But War? War never changes.
Thanks rjshae!

More information.

Is New California really that good?

It's not just "we hate FO76 - so we love everything Fallout that's not FO76"?

Because, if so, I will have to check it out.

Wondering that myself, not a big fan of mods but if its that good I'll have to check it out.

I would not tie New California success to Fallout 76 failure. The mod has been in the development since 2012 (when it was still called Project Brazil), way way before Fallout 76 was even hinted at. Back at that time we even didn't have Fallout 4 yet.

I would not tie New California success to Fallout 76 failure. The mod has been in the development since 2012 (when it was still called Project Brazil), way way before Fallout 76 was even hinted at. Back at that time we even didn't have Fallout 4 yet.

But wasn't it released only recently? In fact, very close to FO76 release?

I'm not saying FO76 is a factor - but I certainly wouldn't put it past the haters to give this mod a little extra credit to get their point across.

Re-post of my reply from two months ago.
Fallout: New California has 13 different endings.

NCR
Enclave
Bishop Family
Raiders Alliance
Shi Empire Exiles
Mutant Master

Each of those endings have different variables.

Your a clone of the vault dweller who saved NCR in Fallout. You have a parasite inside you called Project Brazil that makes you an Immortal Demi-god.

As the new mutant master cloned you inside a willing tribal witch. He left you with the wasteland scouts from the vault who took you and your siblings in.

At the same time they took in two enclave officers from the destroyed oil rig. The game begins almost 18 years later and you choose two paths. Athlete or Scientist.

Then you either choose to follow the Enclave or Wasteland Scout's. After that you follow that path or betray and switch side later on as you play.

Every ending sees you become the courier who was shot in the head with various differences. In the Enclave ending you joined the ones defeated in Fallout 3.

But wasn't it released only recently? In fact, very close to FO76 release?

But then what you'd suggest?

A) Mod team gathers and they decide "Let's release the mod at once, in its current state, because Bethesda just announced Fallout 76!" ?

B) Mod team gathers and they decide "Let's postpone the mod release because Bethesda just announced Fallout 76!" ?

FO76 was annonced in end of May/2018 and released six months later. We can agree that a new Fallout game, released this year, took everybody by surprise, modders and players alike.

I'm not saying FO76 is a factor - but I certainly wouldn't put it past the haters to give this mod a little extra credit to get their point across.

D'Artagnan, my esteemed musketeer, Taylor Swift already sang a famous song where it says " (...) the players gonna play, and the haters gonna hate". Haters don't have the ability to turn a good game/mod into bad or vice-versa. They just ... hate. If the mod is good, it's good by its own merits, by the whole effort put by the dev team, please don't say or imply the contrary. Again, tying up New California success directly to Fallout 76 failure is a disservice to the modders, to the great professional-level work they did.

But then what you'd suggest?

A) Mod team gathers and they decide "Let's release the mod at once, in its current state, because Bethesda just announced Fallout 76!" ?

B) Mod team gathers and they decide "Let's postpone the mod release because Bethesda just announced Fallout 76!" ?

FO76 was annonced in end of May/2018 and released six months later. We can agree that a new Fallout game, released this year, took everybody by surprise, modders and players alike.

What?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm not saying anyone planned this one way or the other.

I'm suggesting that BECAUSE the mod (incidentally) was released around the same time, maybe it's getting a little more praise than it would have gotten otherwise.

I'm not big on conspiracies :)

But it's a natural human response to be forgiving of something if it's very different from something you hate.

D'Artagnan, my esteemed musketeer, Taylor Swift already sang a famous song where it says " (…) the players gonna play, and the haters gonna hate". Haters don't have the ability to turn a good game/mod into bad or vice-versa. They just … hate. If the mod is good, it's good by its own merits, by the whole effort put by the dev team, please don't say or imply the contrary. Again, tying up New California success directly to Fallout 76 failure is a disservice to the modders, to the great professional-level work they did.

Well, I think we must agree to disagree if you're suggesting I should just accept all opinions I read online at face value. I've been using the Internet since the early 90s - and if there's one thing I've learned, it's to be sceptical about what people say - especially when they say something is terrible or fantastic.

The closer something gets to being "the worst" or "the best" in the eyes of whatever group - or whatever gathering of like-minded individuals - the more sceptical I become.

Now, maybe I'm just insane and I'm making all of this up - or maybe it's the direct result of my combined experiences with such matters - who knows.

Taste is subjective and there's no accounting for it.

If you're seriously suggesting that if a lot of people like something - then it's 100% certain that I will like it - then I have to say I that's a little too never-never land for me.

In this case, I have exactly zero knowledge about this mod - except that it's a Fallout mod and it came out around the time of Fallout 76.

I also haven't made a single claim about its quality. I'm asking if it's really as good as people are saying - because I'm sceptical, and I tend to trust (some of) you around here a little more than the average gamer.

I can sense you really like it - so that's one count in its favor, as our tastes often align.

With that said, please note that I didn't care for New Vegas - and since this is based on that particular iteration - that's extra cause for scepticism on my part.

Incidentally, I think New Vegas got too much praise for exactly the same reasons (it wasn't Bethsoft) - and a ton of flaws were conveniently overlooked.

But, as I said, it's all subjective.

Fallout: New California is also close to version 1.0 with some new content.
Guys. We're not getting paid. We were 2 dudes. I know, I hated it too.

Thankfully, we did get some new people involved. They are making a Voiceless town, a ghoul town, another NCR Hub town, and peppering in tiny side attractions here and there in the form of notes for a Courier quest and other little things to do in the desert.

I'm adding a Romanov Warlord duo to build your own power armor, and some side content related to the companions.

And that's it, that's all I'm willing to do. If you want more you just have to make it yourself or convince an existing New Vegas modder to do it. I'm done. I'd be glad for this to be over now so I could move on with my life, but, I'll update it one more time with a month of my life, and that's it, it's finished.

Everything I'm doing after this December ends will just be at a significant financial and personal opportunity loss long term, and it won't contribute to my future success or career. So I'm keeping it minimal, one last round of personal sacrifice for you guys, and then it's your turn to help me out.
The developer is also making a new commercial game.
It'll be a top down 3D isometric Survival RPG set on the ruins of an alien megastructure. You start out freshly abducted from Earth with no directions and little explanation. You'll have to gather a tribe of fellow survivors and brave the harsh wilderness and face off with medieval empires and alien organisms. A little bit Fallout 1 and 2, a little bit Rimworld, all on Unreal Engine.

I could use a couple 2D artists on the new team right now, and you can donate to our Pay-Pal to help me afford the start up expenses. We have a bunch of veterans we've worked with before that want in on this, so I need to begin crowd funding after FNC is all wrapped up so we can afford to focus just on this project.

Project Brazil was good 5 years ago. And it's good today under it's new name and with new content. It has little if anything to do with Fallout 76.

Well, that's two points in its favor. While I don't often agree with Drithius - seeing as how Bethsoft is all we seem to talk about - I do think our tastes align in terms of mechanics and core gameplay.

At least most of the time.

I will check it out one of these days. It's always good to have more Fallout - and I happen to like all kinds of Fallout :)

In fact, the only one I actively disliked was that console game Brotherhood of Steel - or whatever that was called.

That was genuinely crap.

Where are you, Frontier :(

ScreenShot96.jpg

Where are you, Frontier :(
Yep not much news since the last trailer. Wonder if development is stalled?

The mod was set for a release early next year.

Not even an honorable mention for BattleTech Rogue... there shall be wailing and gnashing of cockpits.

Playing this now. It's a little more frantic(my take) then vanilla but more FO is a good thing. Interesting quests and story. Nice gear. Good voice acting. Well deserved award. (I've played all the FO, I will also give '76 a chance when it gets cheaper, which could happen anyyyyy minute now :)

Well, I think we must agree to disagree if you're suggesting I should just accept all opinions I read online at face value. I've been using the Internet since the early 90s - and if there's one thing I've learned, it's to be sceptical about what people say - especially when they say something is terrible or fantastic.

I agree that we must agree on disagreeing. But far from me suggesting you anythng, because I wasn't. The only thing I suggest you, if I may, is that you use the picture below as an avatar in your next RPGWatch incarnation:
Dogtanian-the-Three-Muskehounds.png

If you're seriously suggesting that if a lot of people like something - then it's 100% certain that I will like it - then I have to say I that's a little too never-never land for me.

Again, I suggested you nothing (besides my suggestion above).

I can sense you really like it - so that's one count in its favor, as our tastes often align.

I must admit I haven't played it yet, though it was one of my votes on ModDB site.

With that said, please note that I didn't care for New Vegas - and since this is based on that particular iteration - that's extra cause for scepticism on my part.

Well, it pretty sums up the feelings you have towards New California mod. You won by TKO, no further discussions then.

That's way too submissive, henriquejr :)

Have I told you that I HATE it when people I really like act submissively towards me? ;)

I have no defense against that sort of thing.

I like that avatar, by the way!

In any case, I didn't mean to cause offence. I will give this mod a genuine try eventually.

There are so many games I need to play - and then again, I need to not play games at all - as I have better things to do.

Sigh!

Any norespawn mod and correction in k+m controls is my personal mod of the year.
Sorry about that.

That's way too submissive, henriquejr :)

Have I told you that I HATE it when people I really like act submissively towards me? ;)

I have no defense against that sort of thing.

I was not being submissive. No way!
It's just… our little discussion/arguing here won't make any progress. For a lot of reasons, like #!: I played F:NV (though I haven't finished it) and I liked it a lot so I tend to like a mod based on it; #2: you don't like/don't care about F:NV and, as you've said, you tend to see a mod based on F:NV more cautiously or skeptically. It's a matter of personal taste, I can't/won't find any good arguments to counter this, so you've won. Technically, yes, because I pretty much give up any further discussions.

I like that avatar, by the way!

Do you recognize it? I don't know if this animation (Spanish-Japanese production) was aired on your country, perhaps our Americans members here can recognize it. It was aired in Brasil aeons ago, and it's part of my childhood, especially its catchy theme song :)

In any case, I didn't mean to cause offence.

None taken, believe me.

Back
Top Bottom