Tempest - New Pirate RPG in Early Access

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new pirate RPG called Tempest has been launched as Early Access game on Steam:

Tempest

Hey Captain! Now that you’ve got the Jolly Roger fluttering in the wind over your ship, you’re ready to rove the seas, take on merchant ships loaded with booty and storm formidable fortresses. Set sail and get your hands on all those legendary treasures that are just waiting for the picking!
When we created Tempest, we focused on the most thrilling part of pirate life – sea battles.
As you navigate the dangerous waters of the game you won’t just catch up with merchants, but you will encounter fellow pirates, creepy followers of a mysterious cult and terrible mythical monsters: Kraken, Leviathan and other infamous creatures.
Your ship – the pride and joy of any freebooter – can be customized in many ways. You are free to change almost everything – from the color of your flag and sails to the ship’s hull and figurehead.
Of course, there are plenty of weapons to choose from for every battle, including cannons, mortars, flame throwers and so on. Also there are special tools ready to help you to rig the ship for any purpose. However, you can win the most valuable artifacts only by finishing the multilevel quests called “legends”.

Game Features

Early Access version:
  • Draw the world map
  • Discover the first region of the Tempest world.
  • Seafarer’s adventures
  • Buy ships, upgrade your ships, decorate your ships.
  • Being a pirate: Marketer or Racketeer?
  • Buy something cheap and sell it at a higher price… This doesn’t sound like a pirate’s way. Plunder galleons, sink warships, destroy forts!
  • Fight huge monsters
  • Kraken’s sea-friends are waiting for you!
  • Powerful Artefacts
  • Use mystical crystals to escape the enemy’s cannonballs, bring down meteorites onto your opponent or call a huge octopus to your aid.
  • Create a great crew of tough guys
  • Level up your pirates, let them grow from sailor boys to skilled old salts.

Full version will include:
  • Multiplayer. Play alongside your friends or fight against each other (The multiplayer will be available in future updates).
  • Three vast regions to discover.

More information.

Pirate MMO?
I'm so excited!

Erm… I've seen some pirate MMOs on my iPhone already, didn't bother to install, thankye.
And besides, I've played Pirate101 game already, wasn't impressed much. No surprise, beside LoL no other MMO could ever impress me.

If this is an MMO in which I would be adventuring with others in the same environment, then count me out. Even Bioware couldn't make an MMO for me, and I'm otherwise a fanboi of them.

On the other hand, if this is a single-player RPG which can optionally be played with others as multi-player, then it seems possibly interesting.

If good single-player campaign or open world pirating, then I'm in. Pure MMO? Not interested and it will die a slow (or fast?) death anyway.

What makes it an RPG?

Well, I guess there's that you can "Level up your pirates". And from perusing the Steam reviews I got the impression that quests are an important part of gameplay. Many reviewers compare it to Sid Meir's Pirates, so it might be technically more accurate to call it an adventure / strategy / pirate sim with RPG elements.

I'd really love to see someone make a really deep pirate CRPG. Closest thing I can think of is Drakensang: River of Time... But well, I'd prefer one with decent combat (i.e., tactical turn-based).

If this is an MMO in which I would be adventuring with others in the same environment, then count me out. Even Bioware couldn't make an MMO for me, and I'm otherwise a fanboi of them.

On the other hand, if this is a single-player RPG which can optionally be played with others as multi-player, then it seems possibly interesting.

Don't know why anyone is under the impression this is an MMO. It sounds like the multiplayer is strictly optional. Of course, depending on how they implement MP it could still affect the quality / size of the single-player campaign, but it seems it is no more an MMO than D:OS or BG is.

I find pirate games/genres almost as boring as zombie ones these days. I'll likely take a big pass unless friends convince me otherwise.

Sadly themes like this go in spurts. We get two successful games like Dead Island and Assassin Creed: Black Flag and suddenly there are so many games with these themes that it gets tiring. It makes me thankful for games like Hard West that try to do something not so fashionable.

I'd really love to see someone make a really deep pirate CRPG. Closest thing I can think of is Drakensang: River of Time… But well, I'd prefer one with decent combat (i.e., tactical turn-based).

Arrgh, indeed. To me, a buccaneering-style game with political elements and nation states would probably make for something closer to an RPG experience. You'd at least have social interactions, and hopefully your non-combat decisions would have a chance to influence the broader outcome.

Still waiting for turn-based pirate RPG, a la Pirates of the Western Sea.

high fantasy pirate games are all too rare

Turn-based pirate games are too rare, as in non-existent. I don't even care about the fantasy part, I want one-ship resource management/ recruitment/ exploration/ tb combat.

Back
Top Bottom