Witcher Is it worth finishing this game

The Witcher

rhophiehalul78

Watcher
Hi everyone. I just recently bought Witcher 1 and 2 from the Steam Lunar New Year sale. I figured it is imperative to play the series in their correct order so I tried playing Witcher 1. I didn't like the battle and character animations are stiff. Please convince me on how should I continue playing this game, what's the right mindset to make and if there are hidden gems further on into the game. I'm still very early in the game where I must light the 5 shrines outside a village outskirt.

All Witcher games have an interesting story to tell. Combat gets much easier if you learn how to use potions.

If you're looking for ties with later games, they are "light"...more a case of one story setting stage for another than being part of overarching plot.
As for combat, think of it more as a strategic game closer to Kotor than anything else... emphasis is more on preparation and positioning.
It can look a "bit" dated today, but few rpgs have as strong/interesting atmosphere and tone as first Witcher...it's sort of love it or hate it type of game.

I really enjoyed the Witcher and would highly recommend playing it through for the lore and dark story (it took me about 80 hours), but it is not essential to appreciate the latter games. If you want an appreciation of the story as a whole perhaps read the books. They are very good. As the other posts suggest, using the camps and imbibing the right potions is a must.

There is only one tough fight in the game "The Beast" so, if you don't like the fighting system ,just enjoy the graphics and the story, you'll win the other battles more or less by clicking and drinking the heal potion, no need to bother with more than that…. oo and don't draw the wrong sword.

IMO all three The Witcher games are must play / must complete.

TW1 runs on beefed up engine used also in NWN. There is probably no other game out there I despise so much like NWN. The reason is probably getting disappointed everywhere in that game while originally expecting a blast.

In normal case, I should hate TW1 too. However:
- you *must* collect all possible different cards, and gain nothing (pokemon!)
- you have to impress the landlord granny (she so sexy! :D) in order to meet Triss
- Triss? yea… getting to know her in TW1 will influence your choice in TW3
- you can run past almost all respawned mobs who won't chase you all way
- grabbing one for the road pretty much everywhere

The difference between TW games and the rest of stuff out there is whatever you do, you just can't stop the war nor can be a miracleworking Jesus who'll turn the world from a disaster to a paradise. You're basically a bystander who is just trying to survive through all that crap. You're not a godlike creature and you won't save the world from it's doom.

You're killing monsters. Don't we play our games just because of that?
Add an intriguing story and great characters and what you get is rough gems 1&2 that end with a masterpiece 3.

Well.. to be fair, I don't actually think TW1 is mandatory. TW2 is much closer to TW3 in terms of gameplay and overall style, and it does a decent enough job of introducing various locations, characters and politics. I imagine TW3 would be a bit overwhelming without it.

Yes, a friend of mine started W3, but felt like there were too many things referred to, of which he had no knowledge. Like watching a film that's been on for an hour. He went back to play W2.

Well.. to be fair, I don't actually think TW1 is mandatory. TW2 is much closer to TW3 in terms of gameplay and overall style, and it does a decent enough job of introducing various locations, characters and politics. I imagine TW3 would be a bit overwhelming without it.
TW2 doesn't have collectible cards. TW1 does.

While there is no cards minigame in TW1 but just dice, I dare to say TW1 cards look better than TW3 cards.
And are musthaves. :D

TW1 is a must-play if you're a fan of the series, but I agree that it's not absolutely necessary to play it prior to the other games.

Back
Top Bottom