Hard to be a God demo!

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
well a russian one anyhow. still enjoying chosen, but i really want to check this out. i'll probably try it out this evening and let you all know.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_21356.shtml

tried it out for about 10 minutes. its beautiful in both graphics and music and all together style. a game with a good title screen and music always gets me psyched and this game has one for sure. the sword combat seemed superb of what i tried of it. different swings, the ability to block, and also stamina so no endless swinging. it seemed to have an in depth inventory, though i didn't check out either the character development or the quest system as i don't know a lick of russian. the voice acting was good too, hopefully theres english ones being made as well.

played a bit longer. there's horses and horse combat which don't seem to shabby. wolfs drop wolf pelts, not gold etc. melee combat works well against mulitple enemies. even though you have a highlighted enemy and are swinging at them, with a 2-handed axe for instance, you can do damage to multiple enemies. leveled up but have no idea what to do with the skill points. seem like it could shape up to be quite a nice game. the only thing that bothers me is the camera angle. its at a lower inclination than an iso and you can zoom in and out but since you use wasd to move it would be so nice to be able to go into 3rd person mode or at least just look at what out there as the world is quite lush. maybe its in the russian options somewhere...

Last edited:
So it's all in Russian, c.u.? If so I'll wait for a while til they English it up--the alphabet isn't even the same so I would think it would be tricky to do your function keys, etc--not to mention the plot. :)

Sounds and looks cool, though.

No kidding, I'm kind of pissed because I actualy download the demo with realizing that it was 100% Russian. I'm not even going to install it because I can't tell if it's trying to install anything else along with it.

don't worry jdr it didn't jinx my computer. i've bought nearly half a dozen russian versions of games over the years and the installs are straigtforward and easy. though the games themselves were in english in those cases. i'd still suggest trying it out though. its gorgeous, both the graphics and melee combat. it mights be months before or if at all an english demo. akella is fairly lame in that department.

actually magerette once your in game it give these little pop up windows that basically tell you what you should do next that show the button to press and a screenshot as well. its almost like they had the english audience in mind when they set up the starting area. my guess is they can't afford an english translation yet but i really have no idea...the controls are also fairly easy. also the minimap has locators on it that show points of interest.

edit:
i made this short video on the install and startup of the game. its not the best quality but it will surely help. i highly recommend it, along with the demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZWCc78WLA4

apparently my digital camera doesn't allow zoom while recording?!?

Last edited:
i curse the fact that editing your post doesn't update the time in the "last posted"!

curious I have enough trouble learning the tutorial when it's in English! But the graphics look charming. a bit shaky, perhaps..;) I'll be keeping my eye open for the English version though. I applaud your international savoir faire.

It's possible to change the text in the demo to english.

Go inside the game directory:
open AWE.ini
Change the two lines to look like this:

//g_language_name Russian
g_language_name English

The menu and text will be in English, but the "voice" will still be Russian.

i can confirm this works really well!
thanks for dropping in and giving us the tip, its greatly appreciated!!

now maybe i can figure out what's going on with the skill systems.

i can confirm this works really well!
thanks for dropping in and giving us the tip, its greatly appreciated!!

now maybe i can figure out what's going on with the skill systems.

Pleasure is mine. I actually found that when trying to find a configuration for the game and find what the keys where actually doing.

Although, the translation isn't that great. It's better then nothing.

I cannot get this to work. Both in XP and Vista I get an error "Can't Find Game Mod IGAME_TBB. ANy thoughts?

Upps - the demo released a few days ago seems to be "by accident" launched.
The developers from "Burut" announced at their official site, that this demo is unfinished. Read yourself:
The Company Burut CT considers necessary to announce that the demo version of the game “Hard To Be A God” got to the net through misunderstanding. The member of the company, who had been fired, sent a preliminary and unfinished variant of the demo version to the Internet. That act was not coordinated with the developers as well as with the publisher.

We consider necessary to notify all the people who have downloaded a laid out version of “Hard To Be A God” that it contains a number of unfinished elements and mistakes, that are now corrected. That is why we apologise and offer you to download and install a renewed (final) demo version of the game, that is available here.

The demo version contains new functions and a number of modifications:

- the problems with the collisions of horses are corrected;
- the accuracy of archery is improved. Now it depends on the skill level;
- the mistakes with the change of roles are corrected: not all the characters reacted to the change of the role appropriately;
- weather effects are improved;
- the algorithm of damage calculation is corrected;
- the productivity is enlarged;
- the sound balance is corrected;
- the demo size is reduced.

An official demo version will be available soon in English, German, French and Spanish languages.
Link: http://burut.ru/eng/news/15-10-2007

Gamer's Hell updated their version. It's a bit disturbing how the file is called "Hard_to_be_a_Good_Russian.zip" though.

heheh I guess that would be a good russian after the royal family?

i finished the demo and it has me sold. if the english and international release aren't going to be around the same time, i might just get the russian version as that trick should work with full version and the russian voices are well done and i would rather listen to them that bad translated voices anyhow. the melee combat is thouroughly enjoyable, i like quite alot of other stuff about the game as well. haven't played a demo with that much stuff in it and playablity options in quite some time. good show! the 2 handed sword kicks ass and was as fun to use as the first time i got a hold of a rusty-two hander in gothic. i also finally figured out the finishing move that you can only use when you've knocked your opponent to the ground. being able to attack multiple opponents and be attacked by them a;; at the same time is great, especially when they attempt to circle you to get around a block, and some are fairly good at timing their own blocks and countering. the game is supposed to have technology that you can learn in the game instead of magic, but the demo didn't showcase it unless that refers to the special combat moves you can use/learn?

Well.... I found this demo really interesting.
Bu I had some problem with:
- Horse control: it's really a pain in the ..... It was impossible to control the horse in the right direction. Any hint?
- Combat: I tried to use perks with the right mouse button but..... nothing changes. You can slash a foe with the left mouse button but the right one seems to do nothing (I have the first perk in light weapon).
- Jump....: in the control menu, you see the jump button. I noted tha the character can't jump. If you press the jump button your hero parry blows with the shield.

So here are my question:
- Has anybody understood how the combat works? (using perks, normal attack and strong attack).

Perhaps the final demo will be better polished.....

jump only works with the horse it seems. its great fun jumping fences and fallen logs which otherwise serve as barriers to the player.

it took me a while to figure out the special moves as well but once you learn them they appear in the slot below the character screen. you can either click on them or drag it into your quick inventory slot below. i recommend doing the later as everytime you change to a weapon that can't use the feat you have to add it back. when you do add it, it should appear in a window in the upper right corner of the screen. its then available via the right mouse button, and has a cooldown time to use it again. the heavy weapon 1st skill with a one hander and sheild is the one i tried and it has a good chance of knocking your opponent down which you can then press the middle mouse button to finish them off with a cool animation. if you don't have a special move selected the right mouse button also works as a regular combat move, but the middle mouse button lunges but doesn't actually damage or finish anyone off unless they are on the ground.

horse combat yes is a pain. but it has it's advantages especially against wolves i learned late. try using the shift button when walking as it lets you manuever in the short range much easier. the horse is good as it seems to soak up most damage at least against the wolves and if you are shift walking you can keep trying 'til you get within swinging distance. also the right mouse button employs a more heavy damaging pounce attack. the horse combat just doesn't compare in fun though to regular combat so i rarely used it myself, but as a means of transportation it is great. i'm sure that if you spent enough time and coupled with the right weapon a charging combat attack would be useful, i just wasn't that patient or bored. also when turning with the horse i think you might also need to turn in tandem with turning in the same direction with the mouse as everytime you reach a certain angle it seems to stop or move away.

Thanks for you explanation!
I'll try it tonight.
I think this game's good potential.

I agree about tha camera angle. They could implement also the angle regulation.

Back
Top Bottom