Square Enix - Games as a Service

In most cases Something as a Service simply means that you do not own that something anymore. You pay for the service provided to use that something. The more you pay the more is serviced. Like with our server, which is a Platform as a Service. They provide the platform (physical hardware and networking infrastructure) and I can install the software on it I want, which makes RPGWatch function. I really don’t need to own a server. The way it is now is much better. I can move to a better server on a yearly basis if I like, with probably the same monthly fee.

With games it is a bit different. I do want to own them. Even with Steam I can play the games offline, so when Steam goes out of business, I need to download all the games in order or be able to continue playing them offline.

Games as a Service would be a better concept in my opinion when you really only pay for the service and that service allows you to play the games in the library. Comparable to Netflix for example. You don’t own the series and movies, but you can watch them at any time.

Games as a Service would be a better concept in my opinion when you really only pay for the service and that service allows you to play the games in the library. Comparable to Netflix for example. You don’t own the series and movies, but you can watch them at any time.

Agree. In fact what Square seems to be talking about here is 'single player' games as a service. And that doesn't make a great deal of sense when the software needed to play the single player game resides on the user's computer at the time the game is played, and where user actually plays (interacts with) the game on their own pc.

Multi-player is perhaps different in software requirements as concerns the extent of overall multiplayer software needed to be present on user's pc (as compared to separate multiplayer software required on server); and in the need for a server separate from user's pc, to allow interaction of players originating from different pcs.

But single player games as a service, in the case where game software must be on user's pc to play the game, and where user has paid an acquisition price for user's copy of the game software; that doesn't make sense. It such case, 'service' is just a label that conflicts with the reality of the situation.

__

Not surprising. Crowdfunded has been praised as the best thing to ever happen to the PC scene.
Servicing is a core principle to the crowdfunded scene: release on purpose a flawed product and introduce the correction of it as a servicing of the situation.
Servicing provided graciously and as a favour as devs are entitled to pull the plug anytime.

Not surprising other actors in the industry are trying to get their own version of the formula. As they are what they are though, it is going to be bad, not because of what they do of course.

Console players are going to be hit by something they have not contributed to (cultural contamination)

Agree. In fact what Square seems to be talking about here is 'single player' games as a service.
__

I think this is the dividing line as far as games go.

[Multiplayer] games as a service aren't such a bother to me because they are built on the foundation of networking, such as MMOs. As such, I could never truly own them, but I understand and accept that.

Single player games, however, are things I do like to own and can own, as my experiences and activities (whether vanilla or not) do not affect anyone else but me. Games are my hobby, and as such I look to have fun and discover beautiful experiences with them. The minute my personal freedom is trodden on and I lose control of the way I choose to enjoy my free time is the minute I consider no longer investing in a company's single player directed titles. I'd start to feel as if I'm "renting" personal experiences.

Maybe that's just me, though.

Games as a Service?

Hackers are also well known for targeting games that are Single Player with Online required. Many of them see it as a challenge to crush such DRM. As that is what Online Required for Single Player Games comes across as, nothing but DRM.

Also, "requires online" can be painful to people in areas with limited bandwidth or people who travel a lot (like oh, our Military).

So … I have this to say about "games as a service"

No. No. and did I say No yet? If not, NO.

People in the military are supposed to train to kill the enemy and when the opportunity arises, kill the enemy. They are not supposed to play vid products.

The crowdfunded scene has set themselves as a model for what means servicing. Not sure that it will suit hackers.
Servicing means diluting the delivery of content, adding little by little. A constant stream of patching, updating etc The rythm might not suit hackers as they would be compelled to hack over and over again.
They might prefer to hack the final product, which is fine, as the crowdfunded scene shows that players do not play final products.
Hacking a product that has much less players than when it was serviced is annoying but a smaller annoyance to a hacked product that has peak in players.

Odd world you live in. You are aware that even soldiers have time off and don’t work 24 hours a day (minus sleep)? Just like other people with jobs they have time to read, watch movies, go out and even play games.

And I don’t have a clue what you are aiming at with the crowdfunded stuff. DOS2 was a crowdfunded game and that certainly isn’t a service. Just like many other games. Beside that games are just a part of the crowdfunding scene. The majority of crowdfunded stuff aren’t even games, so saying that crowdfunding equals a service is rediculous.

People in the military are supposed to train to kill the enemy and when the opportunity arises, kill the enemy. They are not supposed to play vid products.

I was active duty military (navy) for just about 8 years. Didn't kill a single person but I sure did play a lot of vidya...

Just sayin ;)

Soldiers are garrisoned. They move where they are told to move.
The location they are attributed to is not supposed to provide support for playing vid products.

As for the rest, well, people who join a thread are supposed to read it. Odd world indeed.

Soldiers are garrisoned. They move where they are told to move.
The location they are attributed to is not supposed to provide support for playing vid products.

You really don't have a clue.... :)
My experience visiting Stuttgart and Kadena was quite the opposite. Some of their installations are better equipped than fancy cities.

Of course, I already think you are from North Korea so your comments sorta play into that already. Tiny bit clueless.

Service and not full payonce2own videogame = milking scam.

That should be "pay2license". You don't "own" any of the games you get on Steam or GOG. Steam could disappear at any moment, and then where would "your" games be?

You really don't have a clue…. :)
My experience visiting Stuttgart and Kadena was quite the opposite. Some of their installations are better equipped than fancy cities.

Of course, I already think you are from North Korea so your comments sorta play into that already. Tiny bit clueless.

No. Listening to people, taking into account their words does not allow to be clueless.

Here was the clue:
Also, "requires online" can be painful to people in areas with limited bandwidth or people who travel a lot (like oh, our Military).
Military staff, whether they travel a lot or not, are not elegible for that complaint when they move to places which does not make requires online painful.
It is what is called having at least one clue and having at least one is not being clueless.

It's an open secret that media companies just don't like to invest in areas far, far away from bigger cities. Those in the middle of "nowhere".

Back
Top Bottom