AC: Odyssey is a full-fledged RPG...cool!

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I have never played any of the creed games because they seemed like parkour combat games with very few rpg elements. Joxer had convinced me to get this but I wanted it cheap. Got it cheap and now I wouldn't have minded paying full price.

I don't care for the ship combat stuff, but everything else has been quite fun. I really enjoy building the best assassination gear I can and then sneaking around for backstabs and dropping from above kills. I started over when I realized I missed about 75% of the orichalcum on the first island. Gonna try to be more thorough this time.

I do hate that some battles are forced via cut scenes. I was unprepared for a Cyclops battle when my glass assassin ends up in melee with 5 combatants. Won the fight but I was a level higher than most enemies.

Now I'm back at beginner level and going again to get those rocks.

This game surprised me also as it's basically a modern BioWare RPG. Yes it might not have all the full features of your typical RPG, but it definitely plays like an RPG.

Yes I know taste differ and some will say it isn't but to me it's an RPG.:nod:

Hmmm, let me be a bit of a party crasher.

IMHO AC: Odyssey is not an RPG, but a fairly good action game.
The character development is pretty much useless (cannot really specialize, the game forces you to generalize), the only saving grace RPG-wise is the choices and consequences thru the story.
Production values are very good and the game is long: you'll definitely get your money worth.
There is a lot of filler though: a bunch of game systems are there for just being there, without any actual reason (conquest battles, anyone?)
Where the game really shines is the ambiance: ye olde Greece feels alive and most importantly real - the mix of esoteric and historic concepts really works here.

Again, a good game, but I'd classify as an RPG only in the loosest way possible
(which is pretty much the zeitgeist of today - any game that has a story and some kind of character development is classified nowadays as an RPG)

Last edited:
Yours always a party crasher. :p

It fits every criteria of a modern day BioWare RPG as the bar was lowered many years ago. Anyway don't expect a wall of text from me to counter debate as it ain't happening.

Moving on I'm waiting for the last three expansion chapters before I replay.:movingon:

It fits every criteria of a modern day BioWare RPG as the bar was lowered many years ago.

Yup, that's right, and personally, I have no problems with it.

Anyway don't expect a wall of text from me to counter debate as it ain't happening.

What I find strange is that certain hardcore members in this forum vehemently attack these kind of games for not being an RPG, dumbass cashcow game, console sh*t, kill it with fire, etc, etc -- while others just simply state that "it's a good game, I don't care as long as I have fun", and move on.

I find especially strange, that AC:O has been embraced by these certain hardcore members as a good RPG ;)

Desperately seeking objectivism :)

I don't see much of an argument either way. I wouldn't call it an RPG in the traditional sense, but it's definitely not just a straight action game either.

It's labeled as an action-RPG, and I think that's a fair assessment.

Whether or not it's "good" is completely subjective. Personally, I enjoyed what little I've played of it well enough, but I haven't invested enough time to have a definitive opinion yet.

AC: Odyssey is a full-fledged RPG
It's RPG, but a hybrid. ;)
Some of it still relies on the player's reflexes for example darksoulsy rubbish QTE 2.0 bosses. On the other hand darksoulsy also means you gather "souls" for special skills thus without any player's reflex you can for example instakill a group of trashmobs with exploding arrow possible to fire only if you got enough "souls". ;)

IMHO AC: Odyssey is not an RPG, but a fairly good action game.
The character development is pretty much useless (cannot really specialize, the game forces you to generalize), the only saving grace RPG-wise is the choices and consequences thru the story.

There is a lot of filler though: a bunch of game systems are there for just being there, without any actual reason (conquest battles, anyone?)
Nah.
You can and you need to specialize instead of generalize - there weren't enough points to distribute on every possible skill prior to level cap removal patch and even after it you'll want to improve certain skills with new points and completely ignore certain other skills.
Conquest ground battles are replayable so you can grind tons of XP and loot to sell for decent $ in mere 5 minutes. Conquest sea battles are repeatable for the same XP and loot reason, only those last 30 minutes so you should avoid those unless a part of nonradiant quest.
Additionally certain "bosses" appear only during conquest battles. Also, winning enough of conquest battles nets you an unique engraving (not worth it IMO, but a completionist who wants to have everything possible will grind).

Sure, the game contains tons of filler in form of radiant quests, minerals and ingredients to pick, 2-3 coins in numerous sacks, there are also tedious nonradiant sidequests (5 sidequests on each side to get insignia from forts for example) - but isn't that because noone wants to support me and criticize respawning of trashmobs in games of this century?

I find especially strange, that AC:O has been embraced by these certain hardcore members as a good RPG ;)
What does hardcore mean?
Good RPG it is. Unbelievably awsome it's not - the major reason for that are microtransactions in a fullpriced game.

One more thing, although it's a good RPG, it can be a bad RPG - if you grind. Don't grind. Follow quests and sidequests that aren't radiant. Do explore, just avoid timewaste on killing every hostile trashmob that moves nearby, ignore those.

Last edited:
Follow quests and sidequests that aren't radiant. Do explore, just avoid timewaste on killing every hostile trashmob that moves nearby, ignore those.

Doesn't that sort of kill immersion, where you just quickly have to run past or through groups of enemies, maybe taking a couple of hits doing so. Serious question as I think many 'hardcore' RPG players want to feel like part of the world. Having to ignore stuff kind of breaks that, just like having to ignoring all microtransactions (even if it is only for cosmetics). I don't want to have to ignore anything when I play a game.

I have no idea what immersion is supposed to be killed. The Odyssey world is a nice looking junkyard and it's your choice to dig through the trash although there is no benefit from it. Or not.
Grinding kills the game (any) and unlike Nintendo Gameboy trash, grinding in Odyssey is *not* mandatory.

Microtransactions and annoying reminders on Helix points both in the game, within uplay and on ubi forums are the very reason I didn't put Odyssey in my top 3 goty votes.
Sadly, to this day, no modder disabled seeing that borderline scam in the game.

I looked for a mod to disable that stuff too, but the game isn't very mod friendly. There are only a dozen mods out there for it and most of those are skin mods.

I'm only on the 2nd area but I could see this getting pretty repetitive if the game doesn't offer more interesting loot. I'm STILL using the legendary gear I found at level 2 (for level 5) because I haven't found any other gear above rare in the next 30 hours. It looks like all decent gear is hidden behind micro-transactions or the extremely tedious collection of orichalcum. This is the thing most likely to get me to shelve the game, but since I've already logged dozens of hours, I still come out ahead. I got the game for $24 for Ultimate due to a code and a sale.

Question: if I just go inside and kill the Megaris leader w/o weakening the area around him does that end the chapter or whatever? I got right next to the guy w/o killing but left him alone since I wanted to play the game as scripted. You can walk almost to him before the guards go nuts. Once the map turns red, he's only a few sneaks away...

Right, so I can hit something at any time and noone will punish me if I don't roll at specific moment but instead there is classic d20 system?

I can’t help you with your cynicism about all things in life but nobody would describe the twitch combat in Dark Souls as quick time events

I can’t help you with your cynicism about all things in life but nobody would describe the twitch combat in Dark Souls as quick time events

Don’t waste your time, its not worth it. I’ve corrected him a number of times. He has no interest in reality, only wants to spew his crap.

I’ve learned to just skim his posts for key words like dark souls, QTE, grinding, micro transactions, MMO, scam (or any variant of the word) or any post where he references YouTube personalities that he worships. If I see any of that I just skip to the next post.

It’s served me well.

Right, so I can hit something at any time and noone will punish me if I don't roll at specific moment but instead there is classic d20 system?

Classical, D6. And no, not anytime, only on your turn to act UgoIgo style.

Of course it is RPG. It has combat, it has story, it has character progression, it has loot, it has graphics, it has sound. More importantly, it has no roleplaying in it.

Desperately seeking objectivism :)
weird place to look for that.

It's labeled as an action-RPG, and I think that's a fair assessment.

Whether or not it's "good" is completely subjective. Personally, I enjoyed what little I've played of it well enough, but I haven't invested enough time to have a definitive opinion yet.

As if other RPGs had no action in them. As if a plane that does not fly was a good plane.

While it'a a much better game from other AC games i played in the past, i would never call it an RPG. Rather a nice great action game with a story i liked(though i dropped the game quite early). Played the game at ps4.

Back
Top Bottom