Phoenix Point - E3 Gameplay Footage

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on some E3 gameplay demo video for Phoenix Point.

Snapshot Games has released a video, showing 19 minutes of brand new gameplay footage from the E3 2019 demo of Phoenix Point. Phoenix Point is a turn-based squad tactics game from the creator of X-Com that is currently scheduled for a September 3rd release.

[...]

More information.

Looking great!

This game keeps looking better and better. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm curious...what differentitates these tactical games? They all look like xcom to me. In that case, why not play...xcom? I don't imagine the story matters - so you just move from one mission to the next, upgrading units/base blah blah. That was interesting once or twice, but then ....the number of these games has expanded and I just look at them and think 'meh'.

I'm curious…what differentitates these tactical games? They all look like xcom to me. In that case, why not play…xcom? I don't imagine the story matters - so you just move from one mission to the next, upgrading units/base blah blah. That was interesting once or twice, but then ….the number of these games has expanded and I just look at them and think 'meh'.

I actually don't mind playing different games when the same base mechanics. I'd much rather do that than playing the same game over and over, because it gives a new experience within a framework I'm comfortable with. Of course this requires that games actually differ in some ways, but most do.

I suppose you never played XCOM2 because you know, you could always play more of the first game instead? And the same could be said for most sequels in general regardless if genre? (Which I grant would save huge amounts of money).

Since this is probably my favourite type of game, I gladly play all of them. From the awesome original Xcom (made even better by mods) to the UFO titles to the modern remakes (both XCOM and Xenonauts). Phoenix Point is probably my most anticipated this year.

+ Way better than XCOM already.
- Their Enemy-Damage-TXT colors SUCK ARS however!!
- Their Sentry Gun fire effect SUCKS.
- MIST effect is a little lame. BLue Mist WTF?? Haven't you seen the movie The Mist??

Last edited:
I actually don't mind playing different games when the same base mechanics. I'd much rather do that than playing the same game over and over, because it gives a new experience within a framework I'm comfortable with. Of course this requires that games actually differ in some ways, but most do.

I suppose you never played XCOM2 because you know, you could always play more of the first game instead? And the same could be said for most sequels in general regardless if genre? (Which I grant would save huge amounts of money).

Since this is probably my favourite type of game, I gladly play all of them. From the awesome original Xcom (made even better by mods) to the UFO titles yo the modern remakes (both XCOM and Xenonauts). Phoenix Point is probably my most anticipated this year.

I did actually play Xcom 2…but not for very long. I had a strong sense of deja vu ;-) Story is important for me - and while I like turn-based and strategy, I don't enjoy games that are not strongly story driven and that don't allow exploration oustide of encouters. Simply transitioning from encounter to encounter = no no for me (the little interludes where you do stuff in your base are not enough to break that feeling) Of course, that is just me and clearly there is a huge market for such games, given the number that now exist.

I think it looks good, but the textures still look a bit blurry....that could just be the video though...

If you aren't into these games I guess it wouldn't matter to you, not sure what you want people to say.

I did actually play Xcom 2…but not for very long. I had a strong sense of deja vu ;-) Story is important for me - and while I like turn-based and strategy, I don't enjoy games that are not strongly story driven and that don't allow exploration oustide of encouters. Simply transitioning from encounter to encounter = no no for me (the little interludes where you do stuff in your base are not enough to break that feeling) Of course, that is just me and clearly there is a huge market for such games, given the number that now exist.

Ok, I can understand that. For me story is indeed important in RPG's, but I actually have a much easier time making my own stories in these strategy games where every person in the squad matters, and most times my squad will consist of my family and friends. Which of course makes me totally unable to play the games in Ironman. I can stand the loss of a brother, but if my daughter dies the load button is the next step.

On exploring I agree, that's why I still hold the original Xcom's in higher regard than the new ones, the strategic layer was much more interesting and engaging to me. It might not be the same as exploring, but for me researching new techs and chasing down UFO's and finding alien bases scratches the same itch. And don't even get me started on X-piratez, in my opinion the greatest TC mod ever created and an experience way beyond any other games in the genre. I hope Phoenix Point will be the same. But even if it's mostly more of the same I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
I think it looks good, but the textures still look a bit blurry….that could just be the video though…

If you aren't into these games I guess it wouldn't matter to you, not sure what you want people to say.

Ah...so I shouldn't comment on games unless I am definitely going to play them? I asked a question that's all. I was curious - an exchange of ideas. If you don't like that, well ....that's too bad.

Ah…so I shouldn't comment on games unless I am definitely going to play them? I asked a question that's all. I was curious - an exchange of ideas. If you don't like that, well ….that's too bad.

Sorry didn't mean it like that, meant more along the lines that if you weren't into these kind of games you wouldn't be expected to suddenly like this...they all have differences and you are right the story isn't very strong in a lot of these, would be nice to see someone try and pull that off, problem with that being that you get into a bit of on the rails type game. At the same time saying why not just play xcom is like if you like blobbers just play one you like ignore the rest...it's a taste thing really.

I'm curious…what differentitates these tactical games? They all look like xcom to me. In that case, why not play…xcom?
I do! The unpredictability of these games make replaying them a lot more fun (at least to me) than replaying an RPG where I see essentially the same story each time. Replaying isn't as good as it is with 4X games, though.

Going to a new game provides more systems to deal with (like targeting specific body parts), new weapons to use, and new tactical puzzles to solve. There should be a new story, too, which should be of some interest the first time through but it's never been the main draw.

Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom