Gothic 3 New Community Patch out. v1.5

Anyone else experiencing problems again with the copy protection?
After I installed 1.5, it won't recognize my dvd anymore, no matter what I do and they all of s sudden stop putting in an Uninstall feature, damn it. :(
So I can't even get in the game to see if it's slowed down the loading time again, as it did in the original release.

Thanks. :)

Acleacius, are you using the Gothic Universe edition, or is it an original Gothic 3 DVD?

Good thing these guys are doing what the Devs should have done before the game was released.

It's not the devs' fault. Jowood rushed the game out of the door and while PB were working on a huge patch, Jowood 'left the table'. No amount of community patching will ever reach the PB standards, they were planning an improved combat system, new textures and an add-on amongst other things. Now PB are working on a brand new game with a bigger and better publisher (the link is for the UK division), Jowood faces financial problems and the Gothic brand is in the hands of an inexperienced dev team. No offense to Spellbound, but they have yet to prove themselves as PB's equals, Gothic is PB's creation and the fact that Gothic 4 is going console is not particularly reassuring either. I say the opposite.

G3 dvd, JDR13. I couldn't get it to recognize so I reinstalled patch 1.12 and it works again. Additionally it seems the 1.5 changes stayed, so I maybe in good shape and will be keeping a cautious eye open for problems as I just started a new game to give it a try. :)

Edit
Sergius64. Lethal Weapon is right PB ( dev) even had a patch complete or near completed over 1 gig and the publisher refused to pay PB for their hard work.
Yet after they fired PB, kept the right's to PB's world for at least one game, they magically found their wallet.
Problem solved, they wrestle away someone else's property, fired them and hired someone else cheaper.

Sort of makes you want to jump up and cheer for the greatness of corporatism. <bitter sarcasm> :(

Last edited:
Just so everybody knows, the Gothic Universe edition of G3 does not work with the 1.5 community patch at this time, it won't recognize the disc after being patched. I'm currently playing a game that was installed from the Universe edition and patched with 1.5, but with my original G3 DVD in the drive.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?p=2184981

The problem will be fixed in the next patch or a hotfix will be released.

I wonder, if there is any masochistic enough people playing this buggy crappy Gothic 3, after the Witcher ...

Gryniaris said:
I wonder, if there is any masochistic enough people playing this buggy crappy Gothic 3, after the Witcher ...
Yes, thanks for sharing your deepest darkest secrets, you must be feeling naked, atm. :)

Actually you might have clicked on the wrong thread since the Gothic 3 and Witcher thread is right next to this one about the community patches, but I will leave my joke. ;)

The Witcher isn't a bad game, but it certainly isn't at the same level of gothic 1 or 2. Gothic 3 with all the patches is a good game -> not more bugs then the Witcher today. The most annoying fact from the Witcher is the frequent load/save screens during gameplay. I rather waite one long time (or even better lik the previous gothics 2-3 times) then that constant waiting for entering a house.

G3 is in my sell for 2 years waiting for a patch or an expansion that will made it playable. its a disaster of a game.
Witcher is one of the best games ever made in par with classics like B.G. and so on...
G1 was an excellent game but to buggy to be a classic. G2 was OK But unfinished even with the add-on.
You have to be blind and deaf , if you cant see those facts...

G3 is in my sell for 2 years waiting for a patch or an expansion that will made it playable. its a disaster of a game.
Witcher is one of the best games ever made in par with classics like B.G. and so on...
G1 was an excellent game but to buggy to be a classic. G2 was OK But unfinished even with the add-on.

No offense bro, but there's not too many people here who are going to agree with you, and for the record it doesn't even sound like you've played the first 2 games.

G1 was too buggy to be a classic?? What bugs are you refering to?

G2 was unfinished?? Please humour us, what didn't they finish?

Btw: G3 hasn't been out for anywhere near "2 years"

It's been out for roughly one year, not two. Also, regarding G2 with NotR - I rate that one in particular well above The Witcher. The atmosphere, freedom and overall gameplay is superior to pretty much any game I've played. I do consider BG2 the overall best RPG, but I have to admit I replay G2 more often these days.

G3 reminds me of The Witcher in a way. Don't get me wrong - the two games are very different, but they both have certain annoying factors that makes it impossible for me to rate them among the top RPGs (despite the fact that they both have potential to be there).
G3 issues:
- Lack of depth, both in terms of story and characters. Used to be very buggy, but anyone claiming that it still is simply hasn't played the final version. It's not more buggy than the average game nowadays.
- Combat balance: Some weapons/spells are simply redicilously good (bow, ice lance/firebolt, orc halberd, and a few others), while others make group combat a real pain.
The Witcher issues:
- Loading: The loading is beyond painful. In most areas it's not really an issue, but when you're in areas with lots of small houses and have to enter/exit houses a lot to talk to people, it becomes unbearable unless you have a top notch computer. I actually find myself thinking "oh dear, another house, can I skip this one?", which is a real shame, because I love to explore game worlds.
- Combat: Not many people actually complain about the combat, but I do. Not because it's bad in any way, but because the options you are given are not actually real. It's not a matter of "being able to" use various forms - you *have* to use certain forms on certain monsters, or you'll simply never kill them. It's not a matter of skill, it's a simple matter of figuring out which forms kills what types of monsters, and then you can click your way through the game. Oh, and don't give me the "it requires a lot of thinking and skill to pull off the timing" - it doesn't. You certainly haven't played many games if you find the timing of the clicking in The Witcher particularly difficult.

All in all I feel that both G3 and The Witcher are good games, but as I've described above: I just can't ignore certain issues. This is why I will still rate G1, G2, BG2, etc in a league above G3/Witcher.

Still, we're talking about rock solid RPGs here, games I'd gladly recommend to anyone. :)

No offence bro, but there's not too many people here who are going to agree with you, and for the record it doesn't even sound like you've played the first 2 games.

G1 was too buggy to be a classic?? What bugs are you referring to?

G2 was unfinished?? Please humour us, what didn't they finish?

Btw: G3 hasn't been out for anywhere near "2 years"

No offence bro, but i think that you are saying bu...t.
i play G1 3 times - 1 for every path and i love every second of it. But the game was really unstable and if you don't remember that then your memory isn't very good...
G2 with the add-on was excellent, more stable and looking better but only for the first charters in the "New World".
The old world in the lastly charters was very boring, filled with orks and very little story in it. They probably rushed it out.
I played it one time until the end but in the second and third time, like mage and mercenary, I just couldn't afford to finished - I was bored after the third charter.
And don't you dare to say again that i didn't play the games or you will make me really angry >:O..

Last edited:
Interesting to read about the patch development!!

That until the uninterest part of *this game is better then that game*.

Well, when too kings fight, the looser is no lesser king then before. Unless he is conquered... or eaten. ;)

Anymore info about the patching. Anything new on the horizon? Seems like when witcher is finished i will be able to play this gem (game) again!

That's what you are, imo, if you see the witcher as the best rpg from this decade.

- Combat: Not many people actually complain about the combat, but I do. Not because it's bad in any way, but because the options you are given are not actually real. It's not a matter of "being able to" use various forms - you *have* to use certain forms on certain monsters, or you'll simply never kill them. It's not a matter of skill, it's a simple matter of figuring out which forms kills what types of monsters, and then you can click your way through the game. Oh, and don't give me the "it requires a lot of thinking and skill to pull off the timing" - it doesn't. You certainly haven't played many games if you find the timing of the clicking in The Witcher particularly difficult.

You even call it combat? I would call it a gothic 3 clickfest. The combat is boring me already in chapter 1. I wonder weather I'll finish this game or it becomes another Morrowind/Oblivion.

No offence bro, but i think that you are saying bu...t.
i play G1 3 times - 1 for every path and i love every second of it. But the game was really unstable and if you don't remember that then your memory isn't very good...
G2 with the add-on was excellent, more stable and looking better but only for the first charters in the "New World".
The old world in the lastly charters was very boring, filled with orks and very little story in it. They probably rushed it out.
I played it one time until the end but in the second and third time, like mage and mercenary, I just couldn't afford to finished - I was bored after the third charter.
And don't you dare to say again that i didn't play the games or you will make me really angry >:O..

I'm still waiting for you to list all those bugs you mentioned in Gothic 1, what are they?

So Gothic 2 felt "rushed out" you say? In what way? You never gave any examples.

I'll try not to say anything that will make you angry, Lord knows what might happen if you get angry. :rolleyes:

I see what the problem here is, Gryniaris is German so he is refering to have played the German version of Gothic. Iirc all the German members here mentioned Gothic and Gothic 2 were buggy at release, but since many people here responding have played the English version, we didn't play the buggy version.
Yay, I win and I want a cookie! :cake:

Anyway Gryniaris seems to be comparing the original state of release of Gothic 1 & 2, to the the original release state of The Witcher, which is where his flawed logic begins, since Cd Projekt had much more time and money to build than did PB. :)

In regards to the CP 1.5 anyone using mistress_larisa & Maroder, awesome Map Pack need to get the updated version to work with 1.5. :)

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=160812

Gothic took approxiamtely 3 months (March 15th 2001 - June 30th or so) until it was in decent condition.
NotR couldn´t be finished at release because the bodies of two dead NPCs were missing, and you obviously couldn´t loot their inventory.
G2 was playable but needed to be patched.

The G3 patch stories in this thread are not precise enough. PB was quoted in two print mags with slightly different statements (paraphrased) saying that "at least the last few patches" or "all patches" have been paid for by PB. JoWooD probably would have corrected this quickly if it had been considered as untrue.
So we can safely assume that PB paid the patches out of their own pocket, and at some point stopped working on further patches, for various reasons. The two most obvious being, I think, that further patching was a money leak which endangered the company, and that the negotiations with JoWooD about G3A and G4 lead nowhere. I´m not trying to excuse their decision, but at least it´s understandable. With Gothic taken out of their hands, they´ve discovered they were riding a dead horse ...
Official word is that the missing "big patch" does not exist. Not even partially. I´m not sure if that´s the truth though. PB would have had to hand over all the pieces, and the fans would have expected JoWooD to hire somebody to puzzle them together. It was easier for both to say the whole thing was still at a concept stage.

Maylander, that's a damn good summary and much of my experience too. :) I am glad everyone is not jumping all over you, as they do me for saying The Witcher is not perfect, yet has classic RPG potential with a little patching. :)

Thanks for that, Gorath. :)
Would PB have had to hand over their self financed work, since it was their world and work, not sure the publisher would have rights to it?
Iirc, reading that the publisher only had right for G4 and Gothic is still PB's world but the publisher has the right to do a game in the world. At least I hope that's correct, it would be even more upsetting if the publisher had somehow hijacked PB's world IP completely. :(

Shouldn't the publisher be paying for the patches, at least partly? I mean hell they are now paying someone else to do the work, well according to what I recall reading they are working on a patch for G3 and G4 title.

Back
Top Bottom