Problem with my NVidia 8800 GTX

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete
Last night my video card started making a bad noise. It's definitely coming from the fan, which sound gets higher and higher pitched as it continues running. It sounds like a bearing is going out to me (but I dunno if video card fans even have those). That's why I'm asking for help here!

Incedentally, while playing a game it seems that the card gets overheated (fan goes beserk with the bad noise and screen eventually becomes pixelated.) I think the problem is the fan though, as nothing has changed on my rig in a year and I haven't had a problem with overheating before. Any thoughts??

Edit: I took the card out of my case and found that a thin plastic membrane on the top of the card's encasement had started peeling up and was interfering with the fan. I removed it completely and so now the noise problem is solved. Hopefully the overheating problem too - I blew the be-jesus out of the case with a can of air duster and re-arranged my Audigy Zs and networking card to give the GTX some more breathing room. Crossing my fingers...

Last edited:
Consider spending 20 bucks on one of those giant semi-passive graphics card coolers by Arctic Cooling or Zalman. These things are very quiet and kick ass.

Ok, thanks. It would definitely be worth the money, but how does it mount? I have no room for anything additional around the graphics card (probably part of the problem). The only free space I have is the bottom front of the case.

Ok, thanks. It would definitely be worth the money, but how does it mount? I have no room for anything additional around the graphics card (probably part of the problem). The only free space I have is the bottom front of the case.

You remove the stock cooler and heatsink, and install the one you bought. It mounts onto the same holes as the stock one. There are several models that take up varying amounts of space, are varyingly effective, and varyingly loud; most are better than even pretty good stock coolers in these respects. (Not all, though -- the stock cooler on my 8800GTS is quieter and more effective than the Zalman I had on its predecessor. I never changed it.)

Generally the trickiest part of the installation is removing the stock cooler; it's often stuck on with those nasty plastic plugs that are hard to remove intact without risking breaking the circuit board. Once over that, it's a matter of following instructions and taking your usual precautions when messing with electronics (ground yourself with a wrist strap or by touching a radiator before going to work, etc.)

Here's an example:

34364_03.jpg

And here's Zalman's solution specifically for the 8800 (minus the fan):

54393_03.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Zalman cooler has the same form factor as the 8800GTX stock cooler (it's a two-slot design, no?)

Hmm.. very interesting. Thanks for the pics and info. I'll wait to see if I still have a problem (I may not now), and if I don't then as my dad always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." .... I'm a little leary about taking apart my $300 video card.

Absolutely. From your description it does sound like you solved the problem; you certainly shouldn't make any sudden moves until and if the problem recurs.

The Arctic Cooling pieces can be found here:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

They´re often sold without the fans.

I agree that it´s a bit risky to modify your card. That´s why some graphics card manufacturers make a good business by including one of these coolers out of the box. ;)

The good thing abt the stock cooler of 8800 is that it blows air out of the case acting as an extra case cooler. Passive cooler or the one in the pictures just blows it back into the case heating the case air and other components.

But I guess passive cooling could work too if you have a very good case cooling with airflow that touches the graphics card too.

I have had my 8800GTS for 1 year and 9 months and its the most silent card I have ever had and just with stock cooling alone. Its a hot card too but since I have never had any artifacts I dont consider it a problem.

Indeed. If the fan dies on mine during the card's useful lifetime, I'll do my damnedest to find a replacement fan, rather than replacing the cooler wholesale. It's a fine design, one that would do Zalman or Arctic proud.

I was quite surprised, really, since on every gaming card I'd had previously the first thing I had to do was swap out the stock cooler -- those things sound like a very whiny hair dryer.

Yes I know what you mean, I have a very noisy computer but it's from all of the other fans, not the one on my video card. This is the first 2-slot designed card I've owned. When I first installed it I didn't realize that one slot in the back was for air flow, and so I didn't remove the backing plate from my case. Talk about getting hot! :lol: It didn't take but about 10 minutes for me to realize something was wrong.

Anyway it seems that the problem has been remedied. I played a game for an hour or so last night and everything seemed to work (and sound) fine.

Back
Top Bottom