Obsidian Entertainment - DLC Survey Results

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Obsidian has published the results of their DLC Survey on their forums.

Hey everyone! Your friendly, neighborhood, marketing drone here with what I hope will be an eye-opening insight into gamers' thoughts on DLC. First off: a big thank you to everyone who participated in our survey. Hearing your thoughts helps us understand your opinions better, and make better games.

Background

For those who don't know, on October 4, 2017, we published a survey, asking some key questions about players' preferences regarding DLC, and a bit about their backgrounds, as well. As anyone at Obsidian will tell you, I am big on data, and have been pushing for stuff like this for a while. So, hey, thanks for making me look good with the absolutely huge response we got to the survey:

Forecast Response: ~12,000 - 18,000
Actual Responses: 55,035
Sources: Kickstarter/Fig Backers, Obsidian Forums, Obsidian Newsletter, Reddit (big thanks to the awesome humans at /r/projecteternity and /r/Fallout!), Twitter, Facebook, and from many of our wonderful developer and publisher colleagues.

The survey ran until October 20, 2017, and we thank everyone who participated and all our partners who assisted us! For those who missed it, here is the amazing survey background art we used, as created by our Community Manager, Aarik Dorobiala (presented here in 1080p for those who want to use it as a wallpaper!):

A Note on Sampling Methodology

The statisticians among you will have noticed that our data-gathering methodology was not blind, and that's an important thing to call out. Because we didn't use a random sample of our customers or backers, but rather went to specific areas and allowed those populations to self select, we know that some of the data in this survey will be skewed toward those specific population groups.

For our purposes, however, that's fine. We are interested in engaged gamers who are likely to be interested in our DLC (and DLC secularly), and we were willing to sacrifice some methodological precision if it meant driving more participation in the survey for this go-round. The fact that the survey got more popular than we ever imagined is a bonus, but it also means we need to take these results as directional, rather than strictly determinative, since the populations who responded to the survey may or may not be representative of the total population of RPG fans out there.

[...]
More information.

It was a nice survey, some questions could have been better but they seem to have noticed that too.

Interesting. i would have thought folks would be older given the target audience. Also not surprising that non-pvp and rpg content won again given the target audience. Remember most of the survey went to people who backed poe/poe2. Surprise poland was so high and russia so low with regards to respondents.

From the page:
Why do RPG fans hate sports games?
Eh? I don't hate sports games.
I do hate need4speed and it's clones - if stupidly boring digital races are what they call sports then I guess their "conclusion" is okay.

Forecast Response: ~12,000 - 18,000
Actual Responses: 55,035

I think that's the thing Obsidian was the most happy about.

Interesting. i would have thought folks would be older given the target audience.

The PS4 sub-reddit probably skewed the age range.

sports are superficial, lack complexity and focus on hand eye coordination .
no value system involved there, no way to selfactualize

Football (soccer, for Americans, I guess) games are cool, but I generally have almost all of the other sports games.

Only 6% female gamers took part? What does this mean given that we are told more females play games (specially RPGs) than males?

It means females usually don't want to take part in surveys. ;)

Facebook, Apple and Google spycamware.

Can't stand Candy Crush, can't stand Mad Payne yet I play and enjoy many other games.
Also those Madden or Just Dance… Both seem boring to me.
I'm probably some third gender then. :p

Now seriously, I don't think that article's data is to be trusted.

Its obvious girls dont' play games.

Btw true story: I never played rpg till around 2004 when my sister handed me a box of old games she was tired of it. The box included bg1,bg2,iwd, and a couple of might and magic games. There was also a pair of adventure games but i can't remember their names. If she hadn't given me the package i would still be playing rts and fps full time.
-
I've told that story before but it has been a while.... so forgive the repeat.

Happy to see 0% of gamers wanted "lots of bite-size" DLC.

Sad to see only 6% of gamers were female.

Sports games? The NBA 2K series is more complex than any RPG ever made, lol. It probably has more stats and attributes that affect the gameplay than 10 RPGs combined...

Back
Top Bottom