Top NDS RPGs

felipepepe

Codex Refugee
Older, full-time working people of the Watch, I'm currently holding a top Nintendo DS RPGs voting at the Codex, and I'm curious to how it differs from the Watch's tastes, so I propose doing a similar list here. Here are the rules:

Up to 20 Watchers shall rank their Top 5 NDS RPGs, each worth the following:

1° - 25 points
2° - 18 points
3° - 15 points
4° - 12 points
5° - 10 points.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
I get the feeling we are a PC centric crowd here, mostly...

When was the release of SNES? early 90s?

Back then I was 25 years old, realized that my beloved Amiga had no future and so I bought a Pentium 60 PC with a high end gfx card (S3 Diamond) and a Soundblaster card. Costs: 4200 Deutsche Mark (with Monitor).
As a poor student I had to work 5 month for this amount of money. :)

Heh, when my friends were sporting Amigas I had my first PC: a hand me down Euro PC Schneider (8088 CGA :D ) I was just a tinsy bit envious as you might imagine… ;)

Ah crystals of Arborea at 1fps… Those were the days :lol:

Never could afford a console as a kid. Besides I was already starting to get into programming (only way I could convince my parents to "invest" was as preparation for my future career ;) otoh that didn't go half bad…) and all the games I liked were on PC :)

P.S Apologies to the OP for derailing…

I get the feeling we are a PC centric crowd here, mostly…
As is the Codex, but still is easy to find people who own a NDS (or a emulator), since it has so many old-school games, especially dungeon-crawlers and tactical RPGs.

Back then I was 25 years old
I honestly had no idea there was a full generation gap between Watch and Codex audience. O_O

Guess that explains a lot.

NDS? What's that? :)

Kidding aside, I actually did play the remake of Final Fantasy VI using an emulator. It was decent, but I still like the original version better. I think the only other DS game I really played was Scribblenaughts. I briefly tried a couple of the Castlevania titles, but I wasn't too impressed.

I can't say I ever saw an original RPG for the DS that interested me. Although I'd be lying if I said I ever paid much attention to the platform.

I honestly had no idea there was a full generation gap between Watch and Codex audience.

Don't make me feel old …

zw1M8OE.jpg

I honestly had no idea there was a full generation gap between Watch and Codex audience. O_O

Guess that explains a lot.
I wouldn't be so quick to generalize, as I browse / post at both the Watch and Codex and I'm nearing 40. There is a wide range of ages on both forums I reckon.

The Codex does seem younger overall though, which explains the added need to be "edgy". :)

Back on topic - I wish I could help but I don't own a DS / 3DS yet. I'm planning to possibly get one because I do love the look of those retro-style dungeon crawlers. Curious to see the results of your poll.

Curious to see the results of your poll.
Considering so far I haven't got a single vote, not sure if it's gonna happen... worst come to pass, at least there will be a Codex one.

Well, to be honest I can't write a Top list as I haven't played enough NDS rpgs but I can post those I've tried....or I think? I haven't played NDS in quite a bit.

Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2 I believe, the world Ends with you and Luminous Arc 2.

Not having played them for a while I have a hard time rating them. I'd say the one I spent the most time with was the Etrian Odyssey series, then luminous arc and only a little with the world ends with you. Though I think The world ends with you seems to be thought of as one of the best NDS rpgs...but it didn't really work for me.

I also want to try the Pokemon rpgs at some point (Platinum, Pearl, Diamond and such) as they're apparently really great...but I have't gotten around to yet.

I can only rank 2. Dark spire and dragon quest 6 were the only ones I ever played.

Dark spire was a nice wizardry like title and dragon quest brought back my fond memories of Dragon warrior.

I didn't finish either more do to not liking playing on the DS rather than the quality of the games, they were both quite good.

So there you have it the 2 best NDS RPG's to ever be made. (According to me);)

I have barely touched my DSi in a while, and mostly for strategy games ... so I would have to go back to the handheld RPG game articles I wrote for the Watch way back when.

I have to say I still love the Etrian Odyssey games, but I actually prefer the GBA remakes of the Final Fantasy games - especially VI, which I definitely prefer to VII.

Back
Top Bottom