CD Projekt - Co-Founders Resign

Dhruin

SasqWatch
According to Gamasutra, CD Projekt co-founders
Michal Kicinski and Marcin Iwinski have resigned - apparently to "rest", which sounds odd from my position. Here's a snip:
Developer and publisher CD Projekt revealed that its CEO Michal Kicinski and business development director Marcin Iwinski, both co-founders of the Polish studio, are resigning from their positions.

Iwinski and Kicinski founded CD Projekt in 1994, and it has published many PC titles since, such as the acclaimed The Witcher series. The Warsaw-based company also owns and runs digital distribution platform Good Old Games.

The two executives apparently want to step away from managing the company to rest after assisting with a "share swap" between its holding company CDP Investment and Polish PC company Optimus last year -- a deal valued at 63 million zloty, or $22 million.
More information.

I don't think it's odd.
They probably just stopped caring.

Their wish to "rest" is probably bullshit.

Such a move usually either means they've been paid off, and their exit was only delayed until the dust settles, or they couldn't hold their position any longer because the majority of the shareholder money wants a different strategy.

He meant their PR stunt. "We're closing." "Hey, it was just a joke. Don't make a problem out of the fact that you couldn't DL your purchased games for a week. Now you can stpend even more money on PS:T."

I agree with joxer. If I'd just completed a big deal and made a boat load of cash I'd be ready for a vacation too.

Is the this going to effect the future and development of The Witcher franchise?

I agree with joxer. If I'd just completed a big deal and made a boat load of cash I'd be ready for a vacation too.
I would retire immediately with that kind of money - but then, I'm not the kind of person that would start a company out, either. Both of them wanting to take a 'rest' at the same time isn't at all likely. Maybe they were forced out, maybe they saw a new opportunity and are jumping on it, maybe they just didn't like the new setup... who knows? Honestly, it's none of our business.

I smell executive meddling. Reading some interviews with these guys, they didn't sound to me like people who wanted to quit, at least.

Almost certainly they disagree with some aspect of the new holding company. Normally these deals have some sort of anti-competitive agreement (at least in usa) but still I would expect them to start a new company. Sadly I would worry about how this impact witcher 2 and gog; havent' really paid attention to optima but if they have a history in pc gaming they will almost certainly apply it here.

Both of the CD Projekt (and GOG) founders stated, they are simply tired and want to get some rest before they compeletely burn out. They still hold most of the company's shares, but don't want to work there as CEOs for some time.

More interesting news is that work on The Witcher II goes just as planned and they've just completed the alpha version :) Here is the translation of this announcement.

Well, the gaming industry is a tough place to be.. especially in top positions. Lots of stress...

I can imagine (and understand) that after 16 years, many would have gotten their share. Especially if they had an option to step back with a lot of money :)

This smells of executive board meddling. There maybe some truth to wanting to rest but I sincerely doubt the choice was theirs just like politicians in a scandal who leave office to be with their families.

This smells of executive board meddling. There maybe some truth to wanting to rest but I sincerely doubt the choice was theirs just like politicians in a scandal who leave office to be with their families.

I highly doubt that you can force out CEOs that hold most of the companies shares. I have at least no idea how to do that.

Both of the CD Projekt (and GOG) founders stated, they are simply tired and want to get some rest before they compeletely burn out. They still hold most of the company's shares, but don't want to work there as CEOs for some time.

Well, there *are* people on this world who actually do this step ... Others get burnt out completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnout_(psychology)

"Resting" is ridiculous. I've been in business all my adult life and senior executives are ambitious, driven people. They don't "rest" - that's what holiday and long-service is for. Either these guys have been paid out (which is fair enough) or there is some sort of power struggle.

I only have one word to say about this...... DAMN!!!!

Back
Top Bottom