The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I'm listening to Smashing Pumpkins today, well, the first two albums. I'm not a fan of the third one, but the first two can spin under my needle anytime! Siamese Dream will never get too old for me.

....... the 'people with taste', just as you see nowadays how we all view pretty much any new group of boy bands as an opportunity to debase the tastes of 'the youth'.....

The difference is of course that back then, they were wrong, but today we are right.... :)

pibbur who for once told a joke not coming from xcd.

PS. Talking about jokes, they had a couple of tunes with quite crazy stories:

DS.

Can't say I like any of those ones. They're interesting and novel, but they don't do anything for me apart from irritate me. Of the three I can listen to Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I like it's musical composition, I just don't like the lyrics. If you could pick three songs that sound least like how you imagine The Beatles to sound, then that's a great selection and probably the most apt set of choices without picking the really obscure ones like No.9 or one of George's Sitar or joke pieces.

Rocky Racoon: No.63, 1,090,211 views
Maxwell's Silver Hammer: No.68, 994,519 views
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill: No.96, 594,913 views

Interestingly, Rocky Racoon has recieved a bit of extra popularity today due to the sucssess of Guardians of the Galaxy and the character in that called Rocket Racoon who was created back in the day with The Beatles song as inspiration.

I think the main reason why I could never like Bungalow Bill is because my grandad was called Bill & he lived in a bungalow during my teenage years & so I just automatically felt rubbed the wrong way by it from the outset.

Good stuff as usual, Thrasher. I've always said there's no shame in a finely crafted PB&J sammich.

Reminded me a good bit of Silver Screen from way back (stick around for the chorus):

You know Mark Hollis died a few months ago? Walked away from it to be a family man and now will definitely never go back. Good for him, I suppose, but sad for us.

Both Ed and Mark Hollis had a huge effect on me back in the seventies, Ed behind the scenes and Mark with Talk Talk. What massive talents, Eddie and the Hot Rods were one of the most eclectic bands I've ever heard.

Saw Snarky Puppy at the Paramount in Oakland, and they burned it to the ground.

Last edited:

I wondered if anyone might notice that one, but it's pretty obscure - Rustin Man is Paul Webb, the Talk Talk bassist. It's from his new album, Drift Code. It's perhaps not a very accessible listen, but I think it's a really good record. I get shades of Robert Wyatt, Genesis, and even Bowie.

A bit more from the weird side.

or maybe currently not listening to. Here is some good music that I don't like:

I don't dispute the quality of these pieces. But they don't do anytnhing for me, (except bore me, perhaps).

pibbur who now wonders why he posted this.

Yes, none of those do much for me. I do like the original, electric version of Layla. I saw him playing a lot of the old Cream repertoire at the Albert Hall, and that was a great performance, IMO.

:lol: Haven't run across too many people on the net who ever mention that show. In the internet age, my 15 minutes of fame was when Steve Irwin died.

One year later and I still love these songs.

Finally listened to Last in Line's II Album. This is one the better songs.

Back
Top Bottom