SpaceWreck: postapoc space RPG inspired by Fallout - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » SpaceWreck: postapoc space RPG inspired by Fallout

Default SpaceWreck: postapoc space RPG inspired by Fallout

October 19th, 2019, 07:08
Hello!

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063540/Space_Wreck/
Trailer:
loading…

Release (EA): February 28, 2020

I'm developing a hardcore RPG SpaceWreck inspired by the Fallout games, especially Fallout, Fallout 2, New Vegas, Arcanum being not far away as well. This is a very indie production - for some two years I was making the game alone, then launched it as a browser game on itch.io (I call it pre-alpha version now) got feedback, worked on improvements until I realized the game looks now completely different and decided to relaunch it as premium downloadable stand alone app on Steam platform where all the real games live. In the process, friend of mine, an artist, convinced me to accept his help and switch to different artstyle. Which I did.

Comparison of original and new art-style

The game was complete (in a sense, it had all the story) year and a half ago however I've been working ever since the initial release on deepening every aspect of the story and game. The game is not long and I try not to make it any longer, I just add new options on how to complete it, elaborate existing approach, and, currently, switching RPG mechanics under the hood. The official motto of our development is
Inch wide, miles deep
I'd like this game to played like this: you come from work, days end, just grab the game and play through it in one sitting. And, while playing, you can see that there are many options you can choose from to role-play character the way you want. And, if you are curious, you can spend next afternoon (or more) digging deeper into story, lore or characters. In that sense, I tend to think of the story as an onion - there are layers and you can decide how deep you want to cut.

Anyways, I wanted to create a thread here, where people do appreciate good RPGs (you know, the ones about role-playing and not just fire-rate stats). I would like to post semi-regular small updates here if you don't mind.

P.S.
And I would love to answer questions about the game, of course.

Kamaz

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 19th, 2019, 13:28
Looks interesting. I guess the graphics style will be quite off-putting for lot of people though. Not sure I can get used to it.
It might just be the video (the screenshots are all small resolution) but the font seems to be a bit blurry which doesnt help (next to being light blueish on white).

Btw you can embed youtube in this forum by using the [ youtube ] [ / youtube ] tag (without spaces) and putting the youtube video name in between. Like this (just quote my post)

loading…
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

October 19th, 2019, 19:11
Thanks for you-tube embedd tip, dunno why it failed when I tried. Oh well.

Yeah, the graphics are somewhat divisive. Initially this started as a fun practice of JavaScript after my startup failed and I had to get a different job. And I drew all the art myself. Later my colleague just retouched the existing one.

Most likely I will keep it as it is but maybe in future I should look into buying some more generic yet acceptable assets.

Kamaz

Traveler

October 22nd, 2019, 06:30
As promised, I'll post small tidbits of updates.

This time it's the F.A.Q. man - A.I. assistant in the starting area, the passenger ship.

The purpose of this character is to allow player to learn about world without breaking the 4th wall and immersion. I mean, you are playing a character that has lived in the world of SpaceWeck all her/his life and she/he should now a lot of basic stuff. But you have not and, while a lot of the world is the same and share similar concepts, there are notable differences.

I think that's why, for example, Fallout series puts you in the shoes of vault dweller - so your character has lived in relatively similar comfortable, safe, modern environment as the player; unlike most of the people in Wasteland. Would be hard to role-play someone who has lived for years in the radioactive wastes otherwise.

F.A.Q. man is a typical video interactive screen stand with voice recognition you can find in many malls. In this case it is programmed with most common questions people ask the staff.

Kamaz

Traveler

October 22nd, 2019, 15:05
I can't go back to graphics like that but I wish you luck.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 22:38
I think I can look past the graphics if the gameplay is as good as I think it will be. Most of the Fallout inspired RPGs to emerge in the past several years have focused almost entirely on turn-based tactical combat and the post-apocalyptic setting… While that's cool, it neglects the very thing that made Fallout 1 & 2 so great IMO. Aside from random radscorpions, you could approach virtually every quest and encounter in multiple ways, by utilizing many non-combat skills. In other words, roleplay.

The developer of SpaceWreck really seems to get that.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 5th, 2019, 07:22
Appreciate the input! Worst kind of feedback is no feedback, so, if you've got comments, keep them coming.

Working on a new map - slightly dilapidated industrial area on an abandoned space station.

Kamaz

Traveler

November 6th, 2019, 07:13
…and a bit of lonely and drab space bay

Kamaz

Traveler

+1:

November 9th, 2019, 22:33
Parks and rec in postapoc space

Survivors of the great clash between corporation and the asteroid miners were left to fend for themselves on drifting pieces of destroyed ships and stations. Air circulation systems can and go out of order, so plants provide much needed additional CO2 absorption and oxygen regeneration.

Kamaz

Traveler

Tags
adventure, postapocalyptic, roleplaying, space, spaceship
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » SpaceWreck: postapoc space RPG inspired by Fallout