|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

July 17th, 2018, 17:23
Having a good time playing Witcher 3.

I'm using a few mods to get rid of some of the more annoying aspects of the game, including the low weight limit, the miniscule XP from kills, and so on.

Playing on Death March - and it's still too easy, but I'm not really here for the challenge.

I'm also using the "Enhancement" mod - which makes the non-Witcher Set items useful on occasion - and it means I sometimes find upgrades when I go exploring.

I've disabled the PoIs - so I don't go all OCD on them, like I usually do.

Focusing on all the story-related stuff - including the meatier side-quests, and it's quite remarkable in that way. Beautiful and touching.

Too bad the gameplay is still a little weak - but I find the other bits are making up for it more than the last time I played.

Just reached the bloody baron quest for something like the fourth time. Fun times.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10881

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:14
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Just reached the bloody baron quest for something like the fourth time. Fun times.
That was fast. Didn't you just start playing yesterday?

Could this be one of those rare times Dart actually finishes a game.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10882

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,823
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:16
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That was fast. Didn't you just start playing yesterday?

Could this be one of those rare times Dart actually finishes a game.
It doesn't take that long to reach him

Don't jinx it now!

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10883

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:17
Yes, make sure you pick up the pointless treasure at all the POIs in the Skellige Islands… NOT!
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#10884

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 15,392
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:18
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
It doesn't take that long to reach him

Don't jinx it now!
Warning: Bloody Baron has two outcomes.

Its one of the best quest lines in the game.
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Yes, make sure you pick up the pointless treasure at all the POIs in the Skellige Islands… NOT!
My gaming OCD compels me to to visit every ? mark.

Took me a few days to visit everyone of them. So turn them off.
--
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” - Check out my RPG News Thread Updated Weekly
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Grumpy Dwarf

#10885

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 20,408
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:18
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Warning: Bloody Baron has two outcomes.

Its one of the best quest lines in the game.
I've seen them both, I think.

Yes, it's a very good quest. I also love the Keira Metz quests leading up to it - and the ones after.

Plus…. Keira is pretty hot

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10886

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:24
Also, is this the mod you mentioned? https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2521/

I thought about trying it the next time I play, but I'm not sure if I like all the changes. Too bad it's not modular.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Yes, make sure you pick up the pointless treasure at all the POIs in the Skellige Islands… NOT!
I never understood why anyone would play with that feature turned on. Well, I guess the generation that was raised on games like GTA, etc, probably likes it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10887

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,823
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:27
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Also, is this the mod you mentioned? https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2521/

I thought about trying it the next time I play, but I'm not sure if I like all the changes. Too bad it's not modular.
Nope. This is the one: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1112

I never understood why anyone would play with that feature turned on. Well, I guess the generation that was raised on games like GTA, etc, probably likes it.
Well, the problem isn't really the feature itself - it's the OCD of having to see them all.

That wouldn't be a problem if the PoIs were interesting to do. But since the vast majority of them are not, it sort of kills your enthusiasm if you're into freeform exploration.

Well, at least that's what happens to me. Same thing happens to me in Ubisoft games.

Problem is that if you turn it off - you have to get really, really close to spot them - so you're going to miss out on a ton of XP.

I would have preferred a middle-ground - where they would be visible at a greater distance, but not on the map as question marks.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10888

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:38
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Problem is that if you turn it off - you have to get really, really close to spot them - so you're going to miss out on a ton of XP.

I would have preferred a middle-ground - where they would be visible at a greater distance, but not on the map as question marks.
Hmm I don't remember that being an issue, but it's been a few years since I played. I thought most PoIs became visible after reading the job boards.

I never had a problem with not having enough XP though.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10889

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,823
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:41
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Hmm I don't remember that being an issue, but it's been a few years since I played. I thought most PoIs became visible after reading the job boards.

I never had a problem with not having enough XP though.
They don't become visible unless you have the feature turned on

At least, not in the version I'm playing.

So, it's either "map full of markers" or "mostly empty map".

Oh, I don't "need" the XP - I just enjoy optimising my performance and being efficient.

It's a big part of my enjoyment with games.

But I know Witcher 3 is different - and I've had to learn to play it in a very different way.

That's why I focus on story quests now, instead of all the open world exploration stuff.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10890

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 21:47
Ah ok. I was thinking of the actual quests from the job boards. The PoIs are different. Those pop up when you get with a certain proximity.

I prefer finding them on my own, but I get that not everyone likes having to hunt for them.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10891

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,823
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 22:44
Witcher 3 was the first game I did not "complete" because of those pointless POIs. It was the beginning of game apathy for me.

Let me rephrase that. Completionist apathy.

Probably a good thing, right?
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#10892

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 15,392
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 22:58
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Let me rephrase that. Completionist apathy.

Probably a good thing, right?
Yes. Especially with the focus on achievements and checklists game designs these days (like collections where you have to find crap in mission levels to unlock stuff).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10893

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,118
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

July 17th, 2018, 23:13
Right? Ugh…. You know, now that I think about it, the first Assassin's Creed is when I gave on coimpletionism with it's boring achievements.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#10894

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 15,392
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 10:06
"Completionist apathy" - yeah, that's a thing for me as well.

I usually go out of my way to "do it all" - in an effort to "experience the game to its fullest" - only to run out of steam way before it's all over.

I've yet to figure out how to deal with that, because I don't think it's enjoyable to just skip a ton of potentially interesting content when you're in the honeymoon phase of playing a game for the first time.

You don't actually know if it's "worth it" until you've established that it's not worth it - and by then it may be too late.

I still love huge games, because I don't want a game that I'm loving to end. I just don't know how to approach them.

I admire someone like Maylander who can just go through them almost like a robot - and still enjoy them.

I don't have that talent, unfortunately.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10895

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 12:09
I kind of hate games divided into chapters where locations and quests become unavailable once you finish a chapter. I often find out later that I missed an interesting quest or a useful item. That's why I can't bring myself to finish Witcher 1 or to replay Neverwinter Nights. Every time I try, I spend way too much time hunting down all the quests, characters, and items in Chapter 1 and then get exhausted and want to play something else.
I find that Bethesda style of exploration and quest acquisition where you can run around the world for days, finish the main quest, and the come back to the starting town and pick up quests there suits me best.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Sentinel

#10896

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 13:19
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
I kind of hate games divided into chapters where locations and quests become unavailable once you finish a chapter. I often find out later that I missed an interesting quest or a useful item. That's why I can't bring myself to finish Witcher 1 or to replay Neverwinter Nights. Every time I try, I spend way too much time hunting down all the quests, characters, and items in Chapter 1 and then get exhausted and want to play something else.
I find that Bethesda style of exploration and quest acquisition where you can run around the world for days, finish the main quest, and the come back to the starting town and pick up quests there suits me best.
Interesting. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to getting burned-out on a game. I find myself getting exhausted more often in the larger open world games.

I think it makes sense though. The larger the game world the more likely people will burn out before finishing. Content density and variety also play a large part.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10897

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,823
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 13:58
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
Octopath Traveler.
Stupid name, great game. It has the "seckrit ingrideant" that sadly so lacking in any new, high-profile RPG I've played recently: heart & soul.
God bless the Japanese game devs.
Mind giving quick summary about the game and why you are enjoying it please? Also would like to know what it has which many of the high-profile RPG doesn't have.

Anyway I have to say, the game garbed my attention due to the odd name!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10898

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 14:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Interesting. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to getting burned-out on a game. I find myself getting exhausted more often in the larger open world games.

I think it makes sense though. The larger the game world the more likely people will burn out before finishing. Content density and variety also play a large part.
Yeah, but if I knew I could get back to an area any time in the future, I wouldn't spend as much time on it, and I wouldn't finish every single quest out of fear that I will miss some interesting dialogue or a useful quest reward. I can follow the main quest without fear of something becoming unavailable at some point.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Sentinel

#10899

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

July 18th, 2018, 14:51
It seems I really hit a sweet spot with my little mod collection for Witcher 3. Enjoying it immensely - and there's no denying it's an incredibly beautiful game.

It's also the first time I've been able to run it at max settings with zero slowdowns during the larger fights - which helps my enjoyment quite a bit.

Also, the quests are amazing - but that's nothing new.

Gotta love mods

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10900

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch