The Case of the Pink Paperclip

lackblogger

SasqWatch
I've moved properties a few times in my life, every 5 or 6 years & I'm the kind of guy who likes to regularly clean house on top of that, each time trying my best to get rid of all forms of clutter that I don't think I'll ever find useful again. But even I have a clutter drawer. Well two of them to be exact. Only little drawers though, one for stationary-related items & one for gadgetry type items & manuals and plugs and whatnots.

One of the things that has survived in my stationary clutter is a box of paperclips, regular little silver paperclips. Over the years, any additional paperclips I've amassed have been stuffed into this bulging old little box. It's one of those items I look at every time there's a clear out and think "do I really need these?" as they're cheap, easy to get & to be honest, I don't ever use them anymore. I can't even remember the last time I used a paperclip.

Then today I had a sudden use for a paperclip, preferably a coloured one, and lo and behold, there was indeed a coloured paperclip sitting in my little box. I had in my mind that a pink paperclip would be perfect and I did indeed have a pink paperclip. I joyfully removed the item, used it & put the box back, possibly to never use it ever again. I probably shan't throw it away ever either.

My estimation is that this box will eventually have sat idly in my drawer for approximately five or six decades. Just for that one moment, today, when it proved its worth.

Yes! I still use paper clips on a regular basis, but I have the same thing with drawing pins, I keep them with every move, and with every move I ask myself myself that same question. (I do not have any coloured drawing pins though, and a pink one would find its way straight to the bin.)

There is a children’s game around here: they go from door to door asking if you have anything to swap. Next time I could offer those drawing pins, or even some paper clips, they propably would not know what they are used for. I could tell them some people keep them in boxes for ages, just like antique. They’d probably think it is worth ten appels or so. :)

One thing I'm sure you didn't know: During WW2, when Norway was occupied, some people marked their opposition to the nazi occupatien by wearing paperclips on their jackets. Apparently it was also used like that in France.

Another thing: I've seen claims that we (Norway) invented said device, but that is probably not correct.

pibbur who, after somewhat reconfiguring them, sometimes uses paperclips to open DVD-players which refuse to open.

Last edited:
We regularly use them in "my" firm in the bureau where I work in.

Have them at work, rarely use them but still do in certain cases where it's the most practical solution not to damage different papers "collection" (for example tickets, stickers or something referred to on another document).
At home I have them for other reasons, for example the stupid optical media hole - when it gets stuck. Not mine. It's also rare use.

Will I get rid of them? Not in near future, they can be still useful for picking locks. :D

btw, the thread title feels like Agatha Christie's awardwinning mystery novel. ;)

like-a-boss_o_264082.jpg

Where would MacGyver be without paperclips?!! :)

That's easy, he'd be in Stargate SG1.
Wait…

I almost never need a paper clip; and when I do i can't find one. However, the stapler is always glad to help.... Why make it temporary when you can make it permanent ?

Not sure if they have pink staples.....

There was a paper clip in MS Office, you know. Perhaps still is.

pibbur who runs and hides.

PS. Looks like it disappeared in '07:
uf010011.gif

DS.

Back
Top Bottom