Last game you finished, tell us about it

So yet another absolutely flawless game?

Without getting into the perfect or not thing ... CoD4 is a really good game ... the best of the CoD series - which I think had been going drastically downhill.

I like CoD4 as well; well designed, awesome sound and realistic graphics, good control and in-game interface. The length is little too short but with good compact contents - not much to complaint about.

Crysis is at least as good as CoD4, but the strengths are clearly in the visual aspect. Cryteck tries to throw all kind of spectacular combat situations, but few later levels e.g the Core level seems to go against the previous frantic and big battle sequences theme and momentum. On the sound department, Crysis seems to does slightly better, and to quote my own impression from another thread:

the Sound effects, dialouge, ambient and combat music is very good if not awesome - especially on X-fi plus the Logitech z5500. It almost like you're in movie theater and you could hear the realistic sound of heavy rocks falling from hundred feets above, the noise of exploded helicopter crashing down near you, or the floor rattling sound of big aliens walking by, splashing of water, sound of rocket fired off, bullet whizzling by, or aliens shooting you from behind - fantastic stuff!.

Yes, indeed ... Crysis is quite sweet as well!

Finished "The Treasure Planet - Battle at Prokyon" I think this is the original, English-language title.

It's a strategy game in the same tradition or style as Homeworld and - if I'm correct - made by the makers of the second Homeworld game ... don't remember it's title ... no, not Homeworld 2 ...

Of course, since it's a "Disney" game, it's been made much more simple - my personal impression is that the "work" factor of Homeworld had been taken out and the "simplification" moved the "fun" factor in - at least did more emphasis to it.

I like the game very much, and if you're capable of Homeworld, I think then you should definnitively get it, if you can have it for a bargain price.

Of course, since iit's a Disney game, all the characters look more "cartoonish", but I had no problems with it. The story was a bit slow, but with an interesting end nevertheless.

And no, it's not fully 3D control of your "Starships" - only 2D. That makes everything much more easier. I think ... you could perhaps even use this game as a kind of "entry" into Homeworld. As kind of a training.

I can recommend it - for a bargain price surely. And since it's relatively old nowadays, it should be cheap right now, I expect.

If someone has it - I'd like to play Multiplayer with it, just to try this out. :)
PM me, if anybody wants to play MP with me. :)

Well I just finished the Call of Duty 4 demo, I had to see what everyone was talking about.

I enjoyed the demo more than I thought I would, despite the fact that I don't like the stereotypical Marines vs Militants scenario. Whether or not it's actually the best CoD game is pure opinion, I didn't experience anything that led me to believe it was better than CoD 1 or 2, but that's probably because I loved the WWII scenarios in those games.

The graphics are top notch, but nothing revolutionary. The sound is great as well, although I was more impressed with the sound effects in CoD 1&2, especially the gunfire.

The game is heavily scripted just like the previous ones, and the enemies respawn like crazy. The AI of your teamates hasn't improved from the very first CoD, and they mostly just seem oblivious to your presence until yet another scripted event comes into play. The AI of the enemies doesn't seem to have evolved at all either.

The basic gameplay of moving from one objective to the next feels identical to the previous games, in fact I could have sworn I was playing CoD 2 again, except I was fighting Arabs instead of Germans.

Not a bad game if you're looking for a nice adrenaline rush, but nothing incredible imo.

Saying "it's the same" after playing the demo is a quick assumption. Not to give any spoilers but CoD4 had lots of very surprising levels and you never really knew what to expect from one level to another which is one of the reasons for why the game have received such good reviews.

I enjoyed the demo more than I thought I would
Wait, that sounds almost ... "positive". How are you feeling JDR? You've got a fever or something?

Not a bad game if you're looking for a nice adrenaline rush, but nothing incredible imo.
There he is as we know him. Pheew, you got me worried there for a moment. I actually thought you had been ENJOYING playing a game for a change ;)

Ok. I'll stop teasing now :biggrin:

Saying "it's the same" after playing the demo is a quick assumption. Not to give any spoilers but CoD4 had lots of very surprising levels and you never really knew what to expect from one level to another which is one of the reasons for why the game have received such good reviews.

Agreed - I don't know if it would be my 'shooter of the year' ... but that is only because of the other great choices!

Of course, we all know the purpose of demos isn't to give someone a good idea of how a game looks\feels\plays. :roll:

As far as the reviews it has received, every single one I read talked about how incredibly short the single player campaign is, and basically scored the majority of the game based on it's multiplayer. I even saw comments like "almost shockingly short" (Gamespot), and "criminally short"(firingsquad), and most of them mentioned a total time of around 5-6 hours. Since I have very little interest in multiplayer and generally purchase games exclusively for their single player, I think I'll pass.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I got between 4 and 5 hours ... but they were some awesome hours. I do tend to look at value for money of the experience - and wonder if a game like this is worth ~$10 / hour (as I am mostly SP as well). In this case I think it is.

But that doesn't deny your point - this is clearly not a game for you.

Penumbra Overture: Chapter One 7/10
Note, this is a budget game so the low score might be unfair, it's for technical issues with the engine, messy combat etc, but the story and the feel of playing this horror game was quite nice and I look forward to the next chapter. If you enjoy a horror game and/or HP Lovecraft I think you can have a look at this game.

I think the issue is that people get too hung up on score. Penumbra is a nice game, but is flawed - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play. Madden is 'better', but sterile and 'same ol' ... so you can't just go on score.

Personally, I don't understand the insistence of attaching a score to begin with. A general description of the game, and a brief opinion would suffice.

Personally, I don't understand the insistence of attaching a score to begin with. A general description of the game, and a brief opinion would suffice.

I agree ... I would be happy with a thumbs up / down thing attached to text. That is really all most reviews deliver ... until math geeks like me make up speadsheets of review scores and start analyzing spread of data ...

Last game I finished: FF X-2 (PS2, :thumbsup:). Finished it last night. While it was sonny's favorite game due to Yuna's song-and-dance scenes, it definitely wasn't my favorite game in the series (or rather, not the favorite out of those I played so far). It was a fun game that kept me entertained for roughly 60 hours, but I didn't like the minigame-ism. By that I mean that while I quite like the addition of one or two mini games to a 'regular' game, whole parts of FF X-2 were composed of or centered around minigames.
Apart from that it was different enough from FF X to be interesting (the dress spheres, the mission-based approach) and close enough to feel familiar (same people, same continent, tieing up loose ends). So, while far from perfect, I quite liked it for the overall experience.

I just finished the Witcher, on normal difficulty. It was a really nice ride. I enjoyed chapters 1-3 the best. By Chapter 4, I was ready for the game to end and it just kept toiling on. The combats in chapter 5 were fairly tough, even on normal, so I can just imagine how difficult they would be on hard level. I was sorry to see that the game cheated though to make those fights tough. I had willow effective and yet a certain creature/character kept knocking me down. I thought the Epilogue felt tacked on as if the developers thought the game was a little short. I did like the questions raised by the final boss monster. Was he/she/it the same character you had met earlier in the game? I think this was an awesome first effort and hope that we don't have to wait 3-4 years to see a sequel.

Just finished Avencast. I received it as a Christmas present loaded it a few days ago and finished it in 2 days. While it wasn't the most original game out there, I got to say it was fun. I liked the combo system they had. For example you hit a-s keys and push the right or left mouse button and a certain spell is cast. I thought that was pretty nifty:biggrin: The rest of it was a nice ride. Far too short though. I don't mind really long games but really short games annoy me. Even with this annoyance I would still recommend this game to anyone who is waiting for the next big blockbuster RPG to be released. Thumbs up:thumbsup:

Last game I finished: FF X-2 (PS2, :thumbsup:).

It's an odd game indeed. It was fun, in many ways, but definitely not what I had expected from a FF game.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 9.3/10
Well, I bought my PS2 for this game and it was worth it. The Metal Gear series trademarks consists of a supreme multi-bottomed story, deeply inspired by philosophy, often with multiple "makes you think" messages and on top of that over-the-top gameplay. MGS3 is so packed with features that it would need me to replay the game several times to see it all, but im satisfied with the story. I am well prepared for MGS4 now. With that the three series I decided I had to play before I died are played, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. See you in another life. Oh, btw, the score is set after gamerankings.com so a certain person can shut up, because I play funnier games than he do. Muahahahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom