King's Bounty - Review @ ComputerGames.ro

Dhruin

SasqWatch
King's Bounty has been reviewed at ComputerGames.ro, with the text reading harsher than the 86/100 score:
Is the new King’s Bounty a Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with real-time travel? As I was saying, only as a first impression. In King’s Bounty, you don’t own a castle and you can’t choose other heroes than the standard ones. You also don’t get any form of economical management, with your only resources being money, Leadership and ability runes.
The adventuring part offers flexibility in terms of meticulous exploring and riding around the map, but it’s also one of the reasons this game has no multiplayer whatsoever. It’s difficult to imagine a match between human opponents who travel in real-time simultaneously. But, on the other hand, no multiplayer = low replay value.
True, many elements are randomly generated at the beginning of each game, but after you go through the game with a second... maybe third class, that’s it. Also, there’s no map editor or scenarios, there’s no Quick Combat and the fast travel feature is almost nonexistent.
In many ways, King’s Bounty is a step forward regarding the combat aspect for turn-based games of the HoMM variety. But barring this, Katauri Interactive’s latest creation is nothing more than an RPG in which the only hero evolves in terms of basic genre principles that are already set in stone.
More information.

Interesting review. I can understand that the replay value w/out multi-player may be less, but the real-time exploration is certainly a plus for the single player game. A map editor would definitely go a long way to stretch the experience also. I've only played the demo, but the addiction factor so far seems strong enough to carry you through the game at least once, and possibly once for each class, which along with the expansion possibilities seems like a reasonable amount of bang for your buck, considering a lot of modern games that last 20 or so hours with a very minimal replay.

Back
Top Bottom