Yahoo - Game of the Year Awards

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Last edited:
Also nice to see Plants vs. Zombies getting the 'Casual Game' nod ... though as folks here have illustrated it can be anything but casual ;)

Why are Adventure games so ignored?
Maybe they don't sell as much (though I have heard some evidence to the opposite) but it's not like there's a shortage oof them or anything.

Why are Adventure games so ignored?
Maybe they don't sell as much (though I have heard some evidence to the opposite) but it's not like there's a shortage oof them or anything.

I think they're quite profitable if you invest according to the size of the market.

But I'm afraid the days of AAA adventure games are all but gone, because the new audience apparently doesn't find that kind of gameplay all too exciting.

I'd say there's probably a "middle-market" for this just as there is for CRPGs - but it'll take some daring investors to test it out.

That said, there are many recent quality adventures with "decent" production values, like the Sherlock Holmes games. So maybe it's coming along better than one would suspect.

It's an interesting genre, because the challenges are less about technical prowess (the latest greatest 3D shader effects etc.) - as even I could code most traditional point/click adventure games, and I'm no coding genius. The challenge is telling a compelling story with fitting and quality visuals - and perhaps the kind of art needed isn't quite the same as the art for the vast majority of modern popular games.

I'd love to see a throwback to the old "hand-drawn" style ala Monkey Island, but with a less cartoonish approach than the new Monkey Island games. Something like Kyrandia with AAA production values would be fantastic.

That, or a high resolution high color MYST game with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at the art, would be a truly immersive and wonderful experience.

One can but hope :)

I don't know… I would think they are profitable enough only based on the fact that there are more than a couple coming out every month! (maybe that's not related though, I don't know...) They are starting to invade consoles lately as well. (Plus there are many 'indie' ones of considerable quality) As for their production values… well I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue since I see many non-AAA games in those lists.

I don't know… I would think they are profitable enough only based on the fact that there are more than a couple coming out every month! (maybe that's not related though, I don't know…) They are starting to invade consoles lately as well. (Plus there are many 'indie' ones of considerable quality) As for their production values… well I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue since I see many non-AAA games in those lists.

I think you're confirming what I'm saying?

Yes, I think they're profitable - but I don't think you want to invest what you'd invest in an AAA game, because the market's not there for that.

I can't be certain, but I don't see it happening these days.

I think you're confirming what I'm saying?
Yes. I wasn't arguing - I was just wondering about it really.

Though I tend to think that the market is there.
If an indie developer can make a profit off something he did by himself and promoted simply by posting in relevant forums, then I think the possibilities for great sales is there for anyone who could market such a game properly. ie. not to the cool action boys but to the 30something people, men and women - that are many (apparently the average age of all gamers is 35) as well as financially independent and thus more likely to pay for a game they like.

I think, as DArtagnan said, that they support themselves well. TellTale does very well, but for others it is often a tough sell.

Personally I'm glad that in recent years they *have* decided to resurrect the genre, as I have had many wonderful adventure gaming experiences!

Back
Top Bottom