Name your all time top five favourite songs, please

E

Eye

In the Netherlands at the end of each year people can vote for the ‘Top 2000’, the 2000 most popular songs of all times, until the 1st of December. The Top 2000 is then broadcasted on a radio channel starting at Christmas day until the 31st of December 23.59 hrs, so right till the start of the new year, 24/7.

We have had 19 editions so far, and of those 19 ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ (Queen) has been the number one 15 times. ‘Hotel California’ (Eagles) is usually number two, but it was the number one twice, and one time it was John Lennon with ‘Imagine’. Dutch Boudewijn de Groot with a song called ‘Avond’ managed to get to the number one position as well one time.

I thought it would be nice to see what you think should be the number 1 to 5.
What are the five best songs evah according to you?

It's impossible to pick 5 out of numerous plain awsome songs. But from top of my head - note that these are not the best of the best, just 5 that emerged first on my mind.

In the Netherlands at the end of each year people can vote for the ‘Top 2000’, the 2000 most popular songs of all times, until the 1st of December. The Top 2000 is then broadcasted on a radio channel starting at Christmas day until the 31st of December 23.59 hrs, so right till the start of the new year, 24/7.

We have had 19 editions so far, and of those 19 ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ (Queen) has been the number one 15 times. ‘Hotel California’ (Eagles) is usually number two, but it was the number one twice, and one time it was John Lennon with ‘Imagine’. Dutch Boudewijn de Groot with a song called ‘Avond’ managed to get to the number one position as well one time.

I thought it would be nice to see what you think should be the number 1 to 5.
What are the five best songs evah according to you?

Well now that is a hard question…

1 Sisters of Mercy - Leonard Cohen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFQg7P5YKw

2 supertramp logical song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_NGulTmh88

3 metalica fade to black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQnzs8wl6E

4 At The Drive-In - "Invalid Litter Dept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wR1MVdDmUA&list=OLAK5uy_lytwZuj7iS9z8sMFuWe6MG8uwYQk6yNDw

5 parkway drive Wishing Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwyvvxNvqQ

1. Weird Fishes- Radiohead

2. Astronomy Domine- Pink Floyd

3. Reckoner- Radiohead

4. Art of Dying - George Harrison

5. Pigs (Three Different Ones)- Pink Floyd

And this was a tough list to compile. I have several hundred cd's all shaking their fists collectively at me!

2. Astronomy Domine- Pink Floyd

3. Reckoner- Radiohead

4. Art of Dying - George Harrison

5. Pigs (Three Different Ones)- Pink Floyd

And this was a tough list to compile. I have several hundred cd's all shaking their fists collectively at me!

Completely hard list....

I could have added Pink Floyd the whole Animals LP, Slip knot Snuff...etc

I am mostly listening to either ambient or synthwave where it's rather hard to specify just one song, but rather whole albums or bands are either great or not so great.

But for the purpose of this thread I'll limit myself to "pop"-music in a sense that these songs could also be played in a radio. I'll just pop in one track with some synthwave music.

Beethoven's 9th with the 3rd movement skipped (dang thing plods along forever and without getting anywhere). https://youtu.be/ChygZLpJDNE?t=200 (OMG, he's got the choir sections all mixed up! That's sectional harassment, that is!!)

Beyond that, though? Sheesh. So many songs for so many different moods! How do you compare this to this to this? It's like asking what food is best. Other than pizza being the obvious winner, it just depends on what you feel like eating!

Oddly enough this very topic was bouncing around in my head the other day. In no particular order:

1. Ghost Love Score - Nightwish
2. More than a Feeling - Boston
3. Layla - Derek and the Dominoes (NOT the unplugged version. That's a travesty)
4. 2112 - Rush (yes it's cheating a bit, but technically it's one song in 7 parts)
5. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

[…]
3. Reckoner- Radiohead
Radiohead has some really weird video clips. :)

Yikes! And it is a nasty ear worm too! Can’t get it out of my head now. Thanks! And, yes, it is a remarkable song, in a way.

———-

Thanks all, there were some songs I had not heard of before, it is a kind of strange that which is completely new to my ears is not just familiar but even an all time favourite to yours.
You mentioned some real gems. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is the complete 2000 of 1999-2017 btw, sorted on 2017.
In case anybody would like to know, or just to get some tips.

I am mostly listening to either ambient or synthwave where it's rather hard to specify just one song, but rather whole albums or bands are either great or not so great.

But for the purpose of this thread I'll limit myself to "pop"-music in a sense that these songs could also be played in a radio. I'll just pop in one track with some synthwave music.

*Snippet*

Interesting list. That first one's slow drum beats reminded me a bit of Lycia's Cold album.

From the track list, I was always fond of 'Bare'. One of those rare few songs that, as the album name implies, actually makes me feel like I'm freezing, or my body temperature is lowering.

A top five for me is really, really difficult. I'll have to come back to this later, but All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix is fantastic.

This is an impossible task.

I could make a dozen of these lists.

But I'll give it a shot, anyway.

According to how much I've listened to them - and what they mean to me, this is as good a take on 5 of my favorite songs as any.

Number 1:

In no particular order:

pibbur who realizes that the last four may change as soon as tomorrow. But not number 1.

Oh! I knew all but one of those! (Renaissance) Well, I barely know Troy but at least I know O'Connor.

Radiohead has some really weird video clips.
Says the one posting a video of a woman with a light in her mouth and singing the unofficial creed US Postal Service!? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha… :)

Kashmir barely missed my top five favourite list. Although I'm a bit more partial to the Alice n Chains version. Just thinking about Staley growling his way through the lyrics sends shivers up my spine!

Number 1:

In no particular order:

pibbur who realizes that the last four may change as soon as tomorrow. But not number 1.

I actually wasn't aware that Running Up that Hill wasn't an original by Placebo, which I personally prefer as it's darker style and heavier base more fits my taste. Almost would have mentioned it in my top 5. Anyways, glad this one exists. ^^

And that style again feels very close to one song in expeditions conquistador, where I am back with my soundtracks. This game just has an excellent OST.

Back
Top Bottom