Phoenix Point - Interview @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer has interviewed Julian Gollop about his new game Phoenix Point:

Phoenix Point is X-COM creator Julian Gollop's vision of a grand strategy game

We speak to the creator about how his new turn-based game is coming together.

The permafrost has melted, unleashing a terrifying alien virus. An eerie mist rolls across the planet, compelling people to wander into the ocean, where they emerge as hideous, mutated monsters. The world is a mess, and in turn-based strategy game Phoenix Point, it's your job to clean it up.

"When the game starts in 2047, most of humanity has been killed, abducted, or transformed into alien monstrosities," says lead designer Julian Gollop, who is best known for creating the original X-COM series. "But there are a few isolated groups that have managed to survive."

"The Phoenix Project organisation you're the leader of is very diminished," he says. "You're being attacked on all sides by various different powers. But out of the ashes of the devastation of the virus, which comes to be known as the Pandora virus, there comes a number of charismatic leaders who claim their factions will be able to rebuild the world and make it better."

Julian Gollop has been making strategy games for decades, from Laser Squad and Rebelstar Raiders in the '80s, to bringing the legendary X-COM series to the world's attention in the '90s. That's the old X-COM, with a dash after the X, rather than Firaxis' recent (and equally superb) reboot, XCOM. But Phoenix Point seems to be bigger, grander, and more ambitious than anything he's done before, and I ask what inspired him to start the project.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Can't wait for this game!!! :)

The strategic layer looks much more in line with my preferences than that of the new X-Coms.

Beyond that, I was always a major fan of the Gollop brothers (what happened to the other guy?) - and I'm getting a good feeling about this one.

He doesn't strike me as yet another has-been, but one of those designers who have kept themselves current and passionate about gaming, like Chris Roberts.

So, I'm glad I backed this and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

I have to commend Julian. I'm a member of the Gollop Cult and was surprised how much fun the backer builds were. So while they are creating 50% low quality art, they realize their failures and fight viciously to make something unique in the industry.
This is the only turn-based game, where I acknowledge that it needs a powerful PC to enjoy the amazing amounts of destruction and detail.

This has looked great all along and it keeps looking better and better. My gaming time is a lot more limited than it used to be, but this is a rare title I'll buy and play at launch.

To be honest, it looks like a more advanced version of XCOM 2. To me that's great as it's probably one of my most-played games in recent years. I just hope they make it as moddable as XCOM2 as that is the main thing that keeps me going back to it.

To be honest, it looks like a more advanced version of XCOM 2. To me that's great as it's probably one of my most-played games in recent years. I just hope they make it as moddable as XCOM2 as that is the main thing that keeps me going back to it.

This makes me wanna return to X-COM 2. I fondly remember our discussions in the RPGWatch Team thread…

Last edited:
Gollop chose the looks of new Xcom on purpose so to attract modern Xcom players.
But mechanics behind the game are going to be 75% like old UFO. He is going to show new Xcom players that Xcom can be done better than what Firaxis did.

This makes me wanna return to X-COM 2. I fondly remember our discussions in the RPGWatch Team thread…

Haha, I am playing another game now with some new classes, like the Akimbo gunslinger and some new units too like the Psi Viper and Cryopriest.

I am playing on mostly honestman (so I only load the game backup if there are bugs or I just make a silly mistake like not healing a unit when I can and then get oneshot by an enemy). So far only one reload in the assassin stronghold (non-bug related), so not too bad.

I did forget to use the character pool.
If you want to know the modlist, let me know.

Gollop chose the looks of new Xcom on purpose so to attract modern Xcom players.
But mechanics behind the game are going to be 75% like old UFO. He is going to show new Xcom players that Xcom can be done better than what Firaxis did.

Maybe so, but the demo I saw with the queen shows like it's very much more a pick'n'mix + additional features rather than old vs new. It seems to be their own take on the formula, which I think is a good thing.

Note I never played the old Xcoms, but I did see a couple of quick let's plays to understand why people like it. I have no issues with it, but I do not see why people hate the new ones so much. They are different but still tons of fun (to me).

It looks to me like Phoenix Point may be a lot of fun as well, whether that is - as you say - 75% old Xcom or not.

Maybe so, but the demo I saw with the queen shows like it's very much more a pick'n'mix + additional features rather than old vs new. It seems to be their own take on the formula, which I think is a good thing.

Note I never played the old Xcoms, but I did see a couple of quick let's plays to understand why people like it. I have no issues with it, but I do not see why people hate the new ones so much. They are different but still tons of fun (to me).

It looks to me like Phoenix Point may be a lot of fun as well, whether that is - as you say - 75% old Xcom or not.
I don't know why people hate it because I don't hate them. I just find them inferior to the old UFO mostly because of:
1. Pod system and everything that comes with it
2. Lack of incombat inventory and as a result arbitrary limits on number of medkits/grenades/rockets/etc that you can use (and you cannot for example pick up a medkit from a fallen ally)
3. Lack of freedom to build, research or manufacture as you want but you need to follow a specific story and do things as Firaxis imagined (this is way worse in Xcom 1 where even missions that you get are all set in time with little choice left to players)
4. Small teams that become superhuman and as a result you cannot lose them. As a result the gameplay is built around that and it is weaker
5. #4 also causes the game to be less of a horror survival game and more a superhero action game

Back
Top Bottom